Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

tapi

Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII  

324 members have voted

1. 1. Most wanted/needed aircraft for DCS WWII

• Bf 109 G-6 Late
    • Tempest Mk. V
    • Spitfire Mk XIV (Griffon, bubble canopy)
    • Fw 190 F/G-8
    • A6M5 Zero
    • P-38 J/L Lightning
    • F6F Hellcat
    • Bf 109 E
    • Spitfire Mk. I/II
    • Other (not mentioned) aircraft

2 hours ago, CharlyBraun said:

Ju 188

Me 410

Fw 190G/F

Bristol Beaufighter

A-26

Beaufighter would be very nice. Used quite a bit in the PTO also, unlike the Mosquito. 

Very few existing airframes and no airworthy examples though iirc.

• Like 1

Focke-Wulf Ta 154

Henschel Hs 129

Kawasaki Ki-45

Northrop P-61

Petjakow Pe-2

Edited by Jandar

:pilotfly:

Intel i5-9600K 6x6 @3.7Ghz - 64GB DDR4 - M.2 SSD 1TB - SSD 2TB - RX 7900 XTX - Pico Neo 3 Link- WIN10 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Flip this around...

what survives in airworthy condition might be a better way to approach a wish list 

None of those interesting aircraft that haven’t survived are likely to make it into DCS

Likewise, the museum showpieces are never likely to fly - they’re either too rare, valuable or a completely unknown quantity

Surviving aircraft that could and should be considered???

Zero

P-38

Sea Fury

Hurricane

F4F

F6F

Bf-109 G (and E and F... not aware of any flyable Freidrichs, and only one or two Emils???)

same for the other German aircraft really: Me-110, Ju-88, He-111, Me-262 etc, etc

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

Beaufighter to DCS standard would be really good 

I remember seeing one in the restoration hangar at Duxford years ago - is that one still in progress?

TFC have had an Beaufighter restoration project on and off the burner for years.

The project seems to have stalled, they were trying to sell it a couple of years ago I seem to remember. If it’s going to fly again suitable Bristol Hercules are also very rare apparently.

16 hours ago, rkk01 said:

Flip this around...

what survives in airworthy condition might be a better way to approach a wish list 

None of those interesting aircraft that haven’t survived are likely to make it into DCS

Likewise, the museum showpieces are never likely to fly - they’re either too rare, valuable or a completely unknown quantity

Zero

P-38

Sea Fury

Hurricane

F4F

F6F

Bf-109 G (and E and F... not aware of any flyable Freidrichs, and only one or two Emils???)

same for the other German aircraft really: Me-110, Ju-88, He-111, Me-262 etc, etc

I think those are a good punt. You can add the P40, P39, Meteor I suppose. Even if there are no flyable examples then ED may have access to complete airframes and decent data.

However we already have the 109 K and as far as I know there aren’t any complete airframes in existence even. I’m not sure what the deal will be with creating flyable aircraft when non exist. The list of airworthy warbirds in anything like original condition is quite short. Then there’s what ED want to do and what anyone else may be prepared to do with EDs blessing. We already quietly have the I-16 Rata.

Edited by Mogster

Yes, it did occur to me after posting that there don’t seem to be any airworthy 109 K models.

Agree P39 and P40 should also be on the list, as well as earlier Spitfire Ia and Vb and a later Spitfire XIV.
A Seafire F3 would also be a good hanger mate for the Corsair

Gentlemen,  I understand your passion for many beautiful a/c. But sadly to say, your wishes are IMHO nothing more than the unrealistic dreams (well may be dreams suitable for the other WWII sim, but surely not for DCS). Rate of adding new modules is very very slow and so there is evidently no space for relatively rare warbirds.

ED's demands for resources as well as for the time to create a single a/c are simply huge. And then there is an economical aspect of the enterprise... So they are going to choose wisely an a/c that is widely wanted and so profitable for them. 

That is why suggestions like Ta 154, Ju 188, Seafire, Sea Fury and even more common types like He 111, P 39, Bf 110 etc. are, unfortunately, unrealistic. At least within next 5-10 years...

JUST my five cents.. 

Edited by tapi
  • Like 2

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

44 minutes ago, tapi said:

Gentlemen,  I understand your passion for many beautiful a/c. But sadly to say, your wishes are IMHO nothing more than the unrealistic dreams (well may be dreams suitable for the other WWII sim, but surely not for DCS). Rate of adding new modules is very very slow and so there is evidently no space for relatively rare warbirds.

ED demands for resources as well as for the time to create a single a/c are simply huge. And then there is an economical aspect of the enterprise... So they are going to choose wisely an a/c that is widely wanted and so profitable for them. 

That is why suggestions like Ta 154, Ju 188, Seafire, Sea Fury and even more common types like He 111, P 39, Bf 110 etc. are, unfortunately, unrealistic. At least within next 5-10 years...

JUST my five cents.. 

From 9 Line’s post below it seems that ED think the Spit 1, 109E can be created quite quickly as we already have a later Spit and 109 in game, with the Hurricane then you have the 3 flyable single seaters for historical BOB scenarios. Create an AI Ju87, He111, finish the Ju88 we have and really there’s not much more you need. You could add the Do17 for completeness and variety but it’s not essential.

On 3/19/2021 at 12:07 AM, NineLine said:

@MogsterWe have the basis of the aircraft we need, because we have Spits, 190s, and 109s, variants are probably mostly researched and ready to be built. We have a Map that could be tweaked for BoB, we need assets and AI aircraft to fill it out, but it could be done in a reasonable amount of time, as well, as WWII in DCS grows, the depand and need for more devs grow, and growth in the WWII will only help that, maybe we can get to a point where we have a Pacific and ETO team, who knows. But progress progresses. 

• Like 3

Hmm, do you really think that after the Mossie, ED is eager to create next another big multi crew bird like He 111, Do 17 or even Ju 87 in a forseable time? My be Ju 88, but here I am in doubt as well, because 3D model is the easier part of the job. Cockpit and full FM & DM is another story.

EDIT: sorry didn't notice you mean AI (not flyable). Well, then maybe... Who knows 🙂

Edited by tapi

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast! (Ken Gatward before his solo Beaufighter mission 1943)See vid here

HW: i7-12700K, 32 GB RAM, MB PRO Z690-A DDR4 , GTX 3080, LCD UltraWQHD (3440x1440) G-SYNC 120Hz,Tobii Eye Tracker 5, VKB Gunfighter III (KG12 WWII), MFG Crosswind, AuthentiKit Throttle & Trims, Windows 11 64-bit

2 hours ago, tapi said:

Hmm, do you really think that after the Mossie, ED is eager to create next another big multi crew bird like He 111, Do 17 or even Ju 87 in a forseable time?

Yes. ED historically often released similar aircraft in relatively quick succession. The Hornet and Viper, Anton and Jug, the Korean jets, the Huey and Hip were all released pretty much one after another. This year we're supposed to get two helicopter gunships. Getting another WW2 twin/multicrew aircraft soon would not surprise me at all.

• Like 1

Helcat or Zero would be my bets for EDs next warbird after the Mosquito. Both iconic planes that will work very well with their upcoming WW2 version of the Marianas map. Map and module released concurrently or at least very close together.

• Like 1

Agree re the carrier aircraft being high in the queue...

Wildcat might be up there as well - from a market point of view, it fits with Pacific and European theatres.  

I also wouldn’t write off a Spitfire Ia, Vb, Hurricane or 109 E/F... why else has ED lavished such love on the Channel map???

And don’t forget, as gorgeous as Marianas looks, it is still a current era map and would need a backdate before the WW2 carrier birds are needed 

It's time for a Zero and a Japanese carrier.

• Like 1

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Western theatre is actually very well fleshed out by DCS standards. No other era in DCS is even close to having three full fidelity aircraft on each side with at least two more in the works. I'd say a new theatre would be a breath of fresh air right now. And since we're already getting a new map that makes no sense with the current plane set...

• Like 1

Hi everyone ! 

I would personally love a Griffon Spitfire. But I don’t know how much work is needed to make one. Would it be just a new external model and some tweaking with the FM of the MkIX ? Or are they so different that it would basically be a new module in terms of development ?

One other thing I’d like to have is Mk1 Spits and E3/4 109 to go with the Channel map, that would be great. 

4 hours ago, MobiusOne said:

Hi everyone ! 

I would personally love a Griffon Spitfire. But I don’t know how much work is needed to make one. Would it be just a new external model and some tweaking with the FM of the MkIX ? Or are they so different that it would basically be a new module in terms of development ?

One other thing I’d like to have is Mk1 Spits and E3/4 109 to go with the Channel map, that would be great. 

The Spit I, Hurricane and Emil would make a nice historical matchup, The Emil would give the excellent I16 a historical opponent also. Luftwaffe BOB AI would be useful for Eastern Front scenarios also, Ju87, He111, BF110.

The advantage of the BOB is that you can have very historically correct missions with quite a small planeset. Additionally we already have later examples of the Spit and 109 so they should be relatively easy to produce. All 3 have flying examples and excellent references.

I do worry about the ability of the DCSW engine to support really large numbers of aircraft however.

Edited by Mogster
  • Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 6:29 PM, rkk01 said:

Zero

P-38

Sea Fury

Hurricane

F4F

F6F

Add Yak-9 to list of "doables". Agreed, if DCS reasonably can't show they can verify a flight model, they shouldn't do it at all. Not saying Yak-9 tops my list, but I'd get it.

1) I didn't know Yak-9 had such a wide span from 1942 until Korea (or that it was "a pillar"). 2) I'm sure I've seen multiple restored flying Yak-9.

Stumbled over this on reddit today.

US Marines guard a captured North Korean Yakovlev Yak-9, Korea, 1951. Introduced in 1942 the Yak-9 became one of the pillars of the Soviet Air Force and survived until the early 1950,s

5332g1vzdcp61.jpg

Edited by -0303-

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))

14 minutes ago, -0303- said:

Stumbled over this on reddit today.

Not saying high priority, just saying, 1) I didn't know Yak-9 had such a wide span from 1942 until Korea (or that it was "a pillar"). 2) I'm sure I've seen multiple restored flying Yak-9.

So, add Yak-9 to list of "doables". Agreed, if DCS reasonably can't show they can verify a flight model, they shouldn't do it at all.

US Marines guard a captured North Korean Yakovlev Yak-9, Korea, 1951. Introduced in 1942 the Yak-9 became one of the pillars of the Soviet Air Force and survived until the early 1950,s

5332g1vzdcp61.jpg

Iirc Yaks were metal rather than untreated wood as with WW2 Lavochkins, as such they tended to have a much longer service life.

Airworthy WW2 era Yaks are most likely reproductions. I think you can buy one produced from the original dies, not with a Klimov though.