Carrier Landing

JTAnimal

Just use the stick, a quick dip of the right wing every so often will help counter the ships foward movement. Dont forget to compensate for the slight loss of lift with a bit of throttle as needed too.

yes between the throttle and lineup it seems I fall apart seconds from touchdown. I’m getting sick’s of hearing wave off! It seemed like rudder was not helping. Thanks

I’m still working on landings, I drift left or right a lot when getting close to the carrier. Is it best to use rudder to keep you on track?

Usually you won't need use the rudder.

First of all I suggest to make you familiar with maintaining "On Speed AoA" in a free flight, watch this tutorial for instance:

Then learn the steps for the correct approach, for example

Finally use Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer for (a lot of) practice. :smilewink:

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Usually you won't need use the rudder.

First of all I suggest to make you familiar with maintaining "On Speed AoA" in a free flight, watch this tutorial for instance:

Then learn the steps for the correct approach, for example

Finally use Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer for (a lot of) practice. :smilewink:

AoA - I can fly the plane for as long as it has fuel in AoA. The second part is probably my problem, I’m just not getting the proper approach vector.

I've been using ILS, thought that would help. Funny thing is I was in a F14 squad for 4 years back in the 80’s. Those pilots always made it look easy. I was on the flight deck watching them land, AME so I armed before launch and disarmed the ejection seats after they landed.

• Like 1

It’s funny I watched this You Tube video from Reapers on case 1 landing. This guy was all over the place, long aft of the boat, too high, just lots wrong and at the last he pulled it together and landed. For me it’s opposite, I am in control until the last second, and I loose it. Sorry for the vent, I will keep working on it. Lost our late football game so I have lots of time. I’m going to get this. Thanks guys.

I am in control until the last second, and I loose it.

Keep in mind that you'll need to add tiny corrections to the throttle - back and forth, all the way until touchdown. Small, quick changes, all the time.

At least in my case, the no. 1 reason I might get sloppy at the end is because I got lazy and didn't move the throttle (and thus correct my glideslope) as much as I should've.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Keep in mind that you'll need to add tiny corrections to the throttle - back and forth, all the way until touchdown. Small, quick changes, all the time.

At least in my case, the no. 1 reason I might get sloppy at the end is because I got lazy and didn't move the throttle (and thus correct my glideslope) as much as I should've.

Thanks I will work on that

9 landings today, I think I finally have it down. They said lots of practice but it seemed like I would never get that good landing. I wanted to thank you all again and special thanks to Harker, that throttle tip helped out a lot. I also toned down the stick in the settings so I made finer movements. On to air refueling ✌????????

9 landings today, I think I finally have it down. They said lots of practice but it seemed like I would never get that good landing. I wanted to thank you all again and special thanks to Harker, that throttle tip helped out a lot. I also toned down the stick in the settings so I made finer movements. On to air refueling ✌????????

Happy to help! Congrats on getting it done. Good luck with the AAR.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Mower said:

Related...the Autothrottle doesnt work well for me in holding AOA, I always lose airspeed and sink.

Currently the ATC is not for use in landings only for flight. And ATC is not used in carrier landings if i recall.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

8 hours ago, Mower said:

Related...the Autothrottle doesnt work well for me in holding AOA, I always lose airspeed and sink.

It does work, to some degree.

If you set the ATC when you are at a steady attitude, preferably 0 to 3 degrees down. The aircraft usually does a dive when ATC is initiated, but once you correct for that (by flying pitch with the stick), it starts to do a sluggish kind of job:p It seems that the "AOA-lock" is decoupled/lost with ATC engaged. The aircraft acts more like it's landing/flying with the flaps in auto.

The ATC-landing actually works fairly good if you're doing a flaps-auto field landing.

First become an aviator, then become a terminator