DCS WAIFU (Weather Atis Information Utility) by Bailey

Bailey

Download DCS-WAIFU Here!!!

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313479/

DCS-WAIFULogo-02.png

Want DCS ATIS in Single Player or Multiplayer? Ask DCS-WAIFU, and get what you need. (Dynamic kneeboard included!)

Hello and welcome to DCS Weather Atis Information Utility, also known as DCS-WAIFU. This utility will give you accurate DCS ATIS reports while playing in Single player and Multiplayer missions. As a bonus, it will dynamically create a ATIS kneeboard for you in shorthand notation, similar to what you might see on a pilot’s kneeboard. This project has been made for fun, immersion, and the hope that it sparks more creative ideas for DCS.

DCS-WAIFU-Pic03.jpg

Thanks to all of those who make mods and dev for DCS.

Thanks to Eagle Dynamics.

Thanks to everyone who has spread the word about my mods and addons for DCS.

-If you would like to contribute to the development of DCS-WAIFU, check out the code, or if you like spaghetti, the DCS-WAIFU Github is located here: https://github.com/asherao/DCS-Weath...-Utility-WAIFU

-Please join us in the Discord server: https://discord.gg/PbYgC5e

-Check out my other Mods, Utilities, and VoiceAttack profiles here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...TED_BY=asherao

-Please feel free to donate. All donations go back into DCS to create more free mods, just like this one: https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/asherao

Feel free to contact me on the ED forums (Bailey) or better yet on Discord (Bailey#6230). Remember that comments, questions, critiques, and requests are always welcome! Enjoy!!

~Bailey

27NOV2020

Version Notes:

v1

-Initial Release

More Pics:

DCS-WAIFU-Pic01.jpg.382b4cd932d7dd2b329fa35b0f0eec17.jpgwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

DCS-WAIFU-Pic02.jpg.c3ba4ef82ca7daa21580f1810f8ad701.jpgwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Edited by Bailey
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi there Dmitriy,

It looks like you have an unconventional options.lua location.

I'll need a little more information. Download and install WAIFU v2 here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313479/

If you get the same problem, read the readme on how to enable Log Mode. After enabling Log mode and restarting WAIFU, please try again. Paste the Log results here (after editing out any personal info with X's).

• Like 1

Download and install WAIFU v2

Sorry to say, but now the app doesn't start at all.

I copied both folders as instructed, I can see WAIFU on my title screen and in "special" options, but other than that nothing happens. If I try to launch DCS-WAIFU.exe directly, it just creates an empty "DCS-WAIFU Files" folder, my mouse blinks for a moment, and that's it. No WAIFU-related processes in the Task Viewer. Tried to launch it as Admin - no luck.

If that helps, my "Saved Games" folder is not in its usual place - I moved it from disk C: to another drive via Explorer's "move folder" feature.

1327982140_Screenshot-Fri27Nov17_53_43.png.b980086940cee46cdc5c168dfdfb1928.png

1077074758_Screenshot-Fri27Nov17_54_08.png.ec5387050c97cd8651238aba50982d95.png

1049533568_Screenshot-Fri27Nov17_54_20.png.8e197f2f04042e68221442b4c3816e84.png

EDIT: this is the content of WAIFU.log:

D:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\options.lua
start "" "D:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\mods\Services\DCS-WAIFU\bin\DCS-WAIFU.exe"

Dima | My DCS uploads

Sorry to say, but now the app doesn't start at all.

I copied both folders as instructed, I can see WAIFU on my title screen and in "special" options, but other than that nothing happens. If I try to launch DCS-WAIFU.exe directly, it just creates an empty "DCS-WAIFU Files" folder, my mouse blinks for a moment, and that's it. No WAIFU-related processes in the Task Viewer. Tried to launch it as Admin - no luck.

If that helps, my "Saved Games" folder is not in its usual place - I moved it from disk C: to another drive via Explorer's "move folder" feature.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tScreenshot - Fri 27 Nov , 17_53_43.png Views:\t0 Size:\t10.2 KB ID:\t7154903","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7154903","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tScreenshot - Fri 27 Nov , 17_54_08.png Views:\t0 Size:\t11.3 KB ID:\t7154905","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7154905","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tScreenshot - Fri 27 Nov , 17_54_20.png Views:\t0 Size:\t3.0 KB ID:\t7154904","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"7154904","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

start "" "D:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\mods\Services\DCS-WAIFU\bin\DCS-WAIFU.exe"

Yes, that was my fear. The moved Saved Games Folder. Based on how the code works, it may take me a while to address your specific folder configuration. I'll post in here if I find a solution.

Ohh, good point. Can you put this hook file in your ``Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks`` file and tell me what the WAIFU.log spits out? Just so I can get a better picture of the situation.

DCS-WAIFU-hook.lua

G:\DCS_latest\
D:\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\

Oh jeez. Yea, that's interesting. Wow, lol. Umm, where is your dcs temp folder? Example ''C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS.openbeta''.

Ooooh, I haven’t looked at the code yet, but I think I see the problem. In normal conditions, the players options.lua directory path contains the players pc UserName. Yours does not. That username is then used to find the single player missions location. This is where the program crashes. It tries to look for a directory that does not exist or is “null”. Your solution would involve creating a “normal” path from your main drive, through to options.lua, and having your SP temp folder on that same drive.

Your solution would involve creating a “normal” path from your main drive, through to options.lua, and having your SP temp folder on that same drive.

You kinda lost me there :sad_2: My "Saved Games" folder is too big to move it back to drive C. And I would really like not to mess with symlinks and all this stuff, since everything else is working just fine.

Maybe you can make the app to look for a manually specified path in the config file, and if it's not there - it would fallback to the current behavior? Just a thought.

Dima | My DCS uploads

Great work again Bailey! It adds one of those missing things that a robust ATC system should have.

Just a observation, there is a mathematical way you could get the approximate "real" dewpoint instead of just the 60% humidity constant.

I have to dust off some weather theory here with numbers so hopefully I can explain this well enough. The standard lapse rates (amount of degrees lost as altitude increases) of temperature and dewpoint is different. Also at temp/dewpoint matching (100% humidity) is where you would normally get a cloud layer of the other conditions for cloud formation are met.

So how we use this in aviation is take the difference (spread) between temperature and dewpoint and divide by 2.5 if celsius and you get the answer in thousands of feet (to keep it simple for pilot brains, but you could adjust the decimal to be more accurate). So if the temp is 25 and dewpoint is 0, spread is 25 degrees: 25/2.5= 10 thousand feet is the expected base of the clouds.

So if there is a cloud layer reported in DCS you could work the formula backwards to get the dewpoint. For instance temp is 15 and the clouds are at 4000. So take cloud altitude in thousands of feet and take it times 2.5 to find the expected temp to dewpoint spread, so in this example: 4*2.5=10. Now that we have the temp and the spread, we subtract the spread from temp to get dewpoint, so 15-10= 5 celsius dewpoint.

Edited by Snake122
Fixed second example to correct math error. Needed more coffee!
  • Like 1

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

Great work again Bailey! It adds one of those missing things that a robust ATC system should have.

Just a observation, there is a mathematical way you could get the approximate "real" dewpoint instead of just the 60% humidity constant.

I have to dust off some weather theory here with numbers so hopefully I can explain this well enough. The standard lapse rates (amount of degrees lost as altitude increases) of temperature and dewpoint is different. Also at temp/dewpoint matching (100% humidity) is where you would normally get a cloud layer of the other conditions for cloud formation are met.

So how we use this in aviation is take the difference (spread) between temperature and dewpoint and divide by 2.5 if celsius and you get the answer in thousands of feet (to keep it simple for pilot brains, but you could adjust the decimal to be more accurate). So if the temp is 25 and dewpoint is 0, spread is 25 degrees: 25/2.5= 10 thousand feet is the expected base of the clouds.

So if there is a cloud layer reported in DCS you could work the formula backwards to get the dewpoint. For instance temp is 10 and the clouds are at 4000, So take cloud altitude in thousands of feet and take it times 2.5 to find the expected temp to dewpoint spread, so in this example= 4*2.5=8.5. Now that we have the temp and the spread, we subtract the spread from temp to get dewpoint, so 10-8.5=1.5 celsius dewpoint.

What.In.The.World.Is.This.Magic? Thanks! I'll see if I can implement that in the next update. That's pretty awesome!

EDIT: Math: airTemp - ((cloudAltitude/1000) * 2.5) = dewPoint

I think that looks good, right?

• Like 1

So if there is a cloud layer reported in DCS you could work the formula backwards to get the dewpoint. For instance temp is 10 and the clouds are at 4000, So take cloud altitude in thousands of feet and take it times 2.5 to find the expected temp to dewpoint spread, so in this example= 4*2.5=8.5. Now that we have the temp and the spread, we subtract the spread from temp to get dewpoint, so 10-8.5=1.5 celsius dewpoint.

Is there a practical limit on this? Cranking out the numbers and you can get a 42C spread in cases where the clouds are around 17k-ish feet. 10k will give about 25C spread. What is that max approximation altitude?

It should scale through the troposphere if I recall correctly, for a good rule of thumb to make you in the ball park of a simulated DCS dewpoint. And I did make a math error in the original post I'm going to go back and fix. I think your formula is correct though. For some stupid reason, in the U.S. the FAA tends to give us these problems in Fahrenheit on tests despite the aviation weather being in Celsius. For that you divide the spread by 4.4 then to get thousands of feet so the numbers you are shooting me seem a little foreign but correct. I know a typical 10k base is a 44 degree F spread. Technically this works best for cumulus clouds where the actual lapse rates are going to match close to the theoretical ones. Stratus clouds often have a temperature inversion involved (warm front) and cirrus clouds that are the high wispy ones made of ice crystals are also a little different (somewhat your 17k range clouds in that case). But most clouds in DCS are cumulus. https://www.flymac.co.uk/how-to-esti...s-and-heights/ gives a secondary formula for cloud bases of (Air temperature at surfacedew point temperature) x 400

EDIT for numbers check: Since 1 degree C is about 1.8 degree F in that part of the scale, with your numbers converted to a Fahrenheit spread (can't just use a normal convert xC to yF because that would be at a specific temp point) look like this: 25 C spread *1.8= 45 F spread/4.4 = 10200' and 42 C spread *1.8=75.6 F spread/4.4 = 17182' so your numbers check to me using not the worlds most accurate conversions but again, this has inexactness in the real world too because lapse rates rarely exactly match the theoretical. But all good enough to get you a close Celsius dewpoint number from DCS.

Lapse rate - Wikipedia

I7-9700KF@5ghz, 32GB DDR4 3200, RTX 3090, Pimax 5k+, Virpil T-50CM2 base with Warthog, F/A-18, T-50cm, and VFX grips, Saitek X65F, Saitek Switch Panel, TM Cougar MFDs, TM TPR pedals, JetSeat and bass pucks, H640P for VRK, PointCtrl

3rd Space Vest project for basic G Seat/G Suit simulation

...I know a typical 10k base is a 44 degree F spread. Technically this works best for cumulus clouds where the actual lapse rates are going to match close to the theoretical ones. ... https://www.flymac.co.uk/how-to-esti...s-and-heights/ gives a secondary formula for cloud bases of (Air temperature at surfacedew point temperature) x 400...

... so your numbers check to me using not the worlds most accurate conversions but again, this has inexactness in the real world too because lapse rates rarely exactly match the theoretical. But all good enough to get you a close Celsius dewpoint number from DCS.

Yep. Looks and sounds good to me. Ty for the knowledge. I'll be in for v3 release. Thanks again!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, Bailey said:

Yes, that was my fear. The moved Saved Games Folder. Based on how the code works, it may take me a while to address your specific folder configuration. I'll post in here if I find a solution.

Yup same prob here 😕

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Thanks for the heads up.

No prob.

Thank you for your work to the community.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

13 hours ago, fagulha said:

No prob.

Thank you for your work to the community.

Thank for the thanks! 😄 It is very much appreciated and quite rewarding. I look forward to helping the community and have some fun while doing so 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, FRECCIA02 said:

Hello, where should the latest version be installed?

Hi there. The latest version should be installed in SavedGames/DCS.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I really like that little App, but I have some trouble with it.

First one. My PC is an Windows 10 with German language pack . So WAIFU read the ATIS with a German language. Not very nice 🙂

Does anyone knows how to force WAIFU to use the English text-to-speech. Language-Pack is already installed.

I changed in Windows-Settings-Speech -> to English and the default Voice to an English one (Hazel). I changed the preferred language to English in my default Browser as well. No luck. ATIS is reading with the standard German Voice (Hedda). Probably it would work if I switch my hole Windows to English. But that would result in problems with the German Keyboard and our ö ä ü . So I would prefer to just switch the speech some how. Best solution in my opinion would be, the speech is selectable by the app itself.

Secondly, I have no Kneeboard output. I thought if my PC cant read it, so I can understand it. I read it by my self. Unfortunately not. I am using VR. That means to read the ATIS, I have to lift my Googles more than I would wish for.

..and lastly, a little suggestion. I would be nice to have some key-binds for start and stop. For the same VR-reasons -> lift-googles-less

Thanks for your Work.   

• Like 1

Move along.....nothing to see here