Time Investment : F-16 or F/A 18 ?

red777

Hi, I'm obsiously enjoying both modules and I like both of them. But because I can't spend too much time on DCS, I'd like to have some advices from you guys.

I want to focus more on one of these two modules, but can't decide which one. Does the F-16 has been updated with enough systems so that it's worth learning it in more details compare to the F/A 18 ?

Thanks !

Only you can decide this and everyone will probably have a different point of view, but for what it's worth here's mine!

I have both modules. I flew the F16 when it first came out but it's been in the hangar ever since. In my opinion there's so much more depth, and a huge amount to learn and master with the Hornet, plus lots of weapons and mission profiles to choose from. The latest Hornet update allows the HMCS to be used for ground attack too, a fantastic addition, not to mention the update to the grid system allowing us to input co-ordinates direct from a JTAC. You can now have eye's and weapons onto a ground target in seconds!. These latest additions have turned the Hornet into a great close support aircraft and made it into a true multi-role beast. Plus you have to learn all about operating from the boat and all that entails. If you have the Supercarrier module, this brings even more realism and immersion to the Hornet. It's really satisfying to nail those carrier approaches to the Supercarrier in daylight. Add night time or bad weather conditions and there's another whole experience to add to the module. I keep learning more and more about how to best operate it every time I fly it.

So for me....I chose the Hornet.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Hi, I'm obsiously enjoying both modules and I like both of them. But because I can't spend too much time on DCS, I'd like to have some advices from you guys.

I want to focus more on one of these two modules, but can't decide which one. Does the F-16 has been updated with enough systems so that it's worth learning it in more details compare to the F/A 18 ?

Thanks !

F-16 bias person over here: Yes, the F-16 might not be completed, actually, not completed at all. But that shouldn't stop you from learning it as the functions not developed yet are very advanced and not noticed by the "casual" simmer. Additionally if you go all out and try to learn the F-16 to a realistic point, you will quickly find yourself overwhelmed by the amount of possibilities you have with the F-16. It's truly a wonderful aircraft. So, my recommendation is this: Go for whatever plane you think you will enjoy flying the most. It really doesn't matter what the plane can or can't do, as long as you enjoy flying it. That's the only thing that matters. Have a safe flight!

• Like 3

Learn the F/A-18C. The F-16 is my favorite fighter jet but in it's current state in DCS it's just not worth it. The F/A-18C has tonnes of more features, receives regular updates and is steadily making its way out of early access. The same cannot be said for the Viper unfortunately.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

Thank you guys for your great advice ! it's really helpful (considering the complexity of the Sim).

Indeed only I can decide, but if I want be reasonable I'll have to concentrate on the F-18 (@bart I have the super carrier module as well).

When I saw the new update vids for the F18 I had two reactions 1) great ! New functions implemented! 2) Oh s%#t new stuff I'll have to learn on top the things I still don't master :) but it's a good problem to have :)

Thanks !

It depends, though. If you are deeply into A/A then by all means go for the Viper. In my opinion there is currently nothing in DCS that beats the Viper in A/A. But the F-16C is very limited in A/G at the moment and clearly lacks the system depth of the Hornet at this point in time. So, if you are more of a multirole or A/G guy that wants to fly a fast jet and on top of that likes carrier ops then by all means go for the Hornet. It´s a jack of all trades, sort of. You can´t go wrong with the Hornet if you look for a rather "complete" and complex module. But I strongly advice you to get the Viper, too. At least think about getting it. It pays off in the long run. Plus it is a ton of fun to fly and feels like a real fighter when compared to the Hornet. There is also a third module I want to recommend to you. It is the JF-17. It is absolutely worth looking at and it can do everything the Hornet can except for carrier ops, of course. Choose wisely and have fun flying in DCS...

IMO the the answer to your question lies in your feelings towards either of the planes. Might sound a bit metaphysical but let me tell you about my experience. Before the F18 came out I was hyped, finally a modern jet that can do everything. I even bought a small plastic kit model to bridge the gap till release. But when I got my hands on it I was disappointed. I hate the HOTAS integration and several aspects of how you operate the avionics, and the FCS makes it feel dead when flying.

On the other hand I never had any feelings towards the F16. Then I got it, because it was on sale and I was disappointed by the F18. And that little bird just gives me more. I can "feel" it better when it flies. It is harder to fly, my first taxi,take-off,landing was like "oh sh**t, this is a hand full!", but using it feels more rewarding to me. She is not an easy bride and certainly makes life harder than it needs to be, compared to the F18. But she made me like her imperfections, something the F18 never managed. And that is even though the strong points of the F16 has, like good A2A performance, are completely wasted on me, because I am an A2G guy. Objectively I should use the F18, because it has to offer a lot more in that department currently (although the F16 will catch up as development continues) and the F16 is so small that it feels completely overloaded when equipped with some decent ordinance. But again, I like her imperfections and how she feels, the sound of her engine and its quick reaction... .

So to summarize: My advice is not to go by facts or state of development, but to pick the one you feel more connected to.

• Like 1

But I strongly advice you to get the Viper, too. At least think about getting it. It pays off in the long run. Plus it is a ton of fun to fly and feels like a real fighter when compared to the Hornet. There is also a third module I want to recommend to you. It is the JF-17. It is absolutely worth looking at and it can do everything the Hornet can except for carrier ops, of course. Choose wisely and have fun flying in DCS...

Thanks for the feedback Tango. Just to clarify, I already have the viper and been flying it for some time. My choice is in which module should I spend more time learning the systems.

Indeed like Donglr said, the Viper is really satifying to fly. i don't know, there's something about it that makes you stay always precise, compared to the Hornet which is a more "forgiving" aircraft.

I tried the JF-17 back when all modules were free, and infact it seemed to be a very well done plane on it's recent release already. But I already have too much aircraft to learn and I didn't want to add one more :)

Whichever takes your interest, one thing I will say is don’t necessarily go for the most feature complete one.

A lot of people tend to say that because “aircraft ‘A’” doesn’t have all its planned features, what’s the point?

When ANY air arm gets a new aircraft, it typically is only around 40 - 60% complete system and capability wise, the remaining features and capabilities are fed in over, in some cases, a couple of years following delivery.

So look at it this way - you don’t have to choose the most complete one just because it is the most complete one. Myself, I’m enjoying the F-16 immensely.

I realise I have probably not really provided a helpful answer, but that may be due to me being a bit drunk right now. Sorry. Lol. :smilewink:

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

Whichever takes your interest, one thing I will say is don’t necessarily go for the most feature complete one.

A lot of people tend to say that because “aircraft ‘A’” doesn’t have all its planned features, what’s the point?

When ANY air arm gets a new aircraft, it typically is only around 40 - 60% complete system and capability wise, the remaining features and capabilities are fed in over, in some cases, a couple of years following delivery.

So look at it this way - you don’t have to choose the most complete one just because it is the most complete one. Myself, I’m enjoying the F-16 immensely.

I realise I have probably not really provided a helpful answer, but that may be due to me being a bit drunk right now. Sorry. Lol. :smilewink:

That’s a very valid point even though you were a bit drunk lol

Like I said, focusing on learning the hornet more doesn't I'll forget about the viper. It's impossible cause it is very satisfying to fly it

Once both are complete, there's not really that much difference between them in overall capabilities. The key differences are IMO:

- The F18 can land on the carrier, is a little slower and is a little more "calm" in flight because of it's stability controls

- The F16 is a little lighter, slightly faster and has more feedback, feeling more like a sports car to use

Take your pick?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I have both modules as well. I've spent most of my time first learning the A-10C then the Hornet. I got the Viper on the last sale and I'm just starting to get into it. The way I see it is that the Hornet is much much closer to completion. Some thing are being changed and added of course. But the list of adds and changes for the Viper is much longer. If you only have the time to invest in one at a time why not learn the one that is almost done. That way you won't have to learn it twice right? Plus if you can get the carrier ops down you can nail any runway. Plus if you're brand new the Hornet I think is more forgiving, as it's meant to take a beating on the carrier. But in the end for the most part they both do the same thing and it's your choice.

Small point here. I have both, but I give bonus points to the F-16 for the unobstructed canopy view versus that annoying front canopy frame in the Hornet. With the limited view we get of the world on our computer screens, it is really nice to have that unobstructed view from the F-16 cockpit, especially during AAR re-fueling.

• Like 1

Small point here. I have both, but I give bonus points to the F-16 for the unobstructed canopy view versus that annoying front canopy frame in the Hornet. With the limited view we get of the world on our computer screens, it is really nice to have that unobstructed view from the F-16 cockpit, especially during AAR re-fueling.

In the Hornet with TRACKIR, I look down, center TrackIR, look up, and zoom out until I get a similar field of view as the F-16. Almost as nice as the F-16. :)

I agree with Ryanwtod, there's loads to fix and implement in the F-16, the hornet is probably one of the most complete airframes, but I spent a long time unlearning systems that got updated & improved. Hornet is a lot more robust, easier to land, does carrier ops, but theres something about the lightweight manoeuvrable F-16 that makes it more dynamic to fly. Learn Hornet for now, let them work more on the F-16 to edge towards a more complete module.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2020 at 3:52 AM, red777 said:

I can't spend too much time on DCS

This to me tells me that the F/A-18 is the better option for you. I figure that when you do invest time learning a system on a platform - you're going to want to learn it once, not learn it, and then have to learn it again as things change.  The F/A-18 being mostly complete means that you can take your time to learn one system or area at a time, and know that it's mostly going to remain consistent. 

There are lots of pro's for the F-16 no doubt - but I think it's about priorities, and if I'm reading you correctly - your priority is getting as much return on investment (being time spent learning....and not $'s) - then I would suggest that spending the next 12 months or so learning the Hornet and knowing it well will serve you best. Then - at the end of that you may have enough time and $'s to buy the F-16 if you want (and it may be more complete/stable by then too)... so you can then go through that process when it's mostly completed. With any luck - some of the general principals of what you learn in the hornet will be transferrable over to the viper.

For me - sometimes when I don't have much time, just jumping in a hot-start on an aircraft carrier, and doing a circuit and landing again gives me much satisfaction and doesn't take much time up (but improves skill at the same time). 🙂

I've been having the exact same "problem". The F/A-18 is no doubt the sensible choice, given the current state of the modules. For me, who is more geared towards A-G than A-A, the Hornet is probably also the better choice. However, I'm not crazy about the way the Hornet flies. I can't really put my finger on it, but I feel the F-16 is just more fun to fly and generally feels better in the air. I'm also not very fond of the HOTAS integration in the Hornet and the UFC/MFD integration which feels a bit clunky.

I think rational arguments are only a part of the decision. How the plane feels and how you like the cockpit and plane itself is probably just as important.

On 11/27/2020 at 12:23 PM, bart said:

The latest Hornet update allows the HMCS to be used for ground attack too, a fantastic addition, not to mention the update to the grid system allowing us to input co-ordinates direct from a JTAC. You can now have eye's and weapons onto a ground target in seconds!. These latest additions have turned the Hornet into a great close support aircraft and made it into a true multi-role beast.

I love the Hornet,  been waiting for a good one since Janes FA-18E.

Now, is there any documentation for these newer features please?

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

I'm not a pilot, but I do know this, since I have been in DSC my F/A 18 has been my main enjoyment,  my F-16 is fun, but not enjoyable.  To me you have to enjoy to fly, especially if your 75 years old and never flown or played video games, like me..   I have all of the jets and most of the recips  I have flown all, not good, but am having a ball before to late ha ha.  I have alot to learn, however, guys here in DCS will bend over backwards to help.  I will say air to air is really hard but am working on it, weapon system great at least to me it is.  Carrier landing fun, few crashes but interesting.  Final, purchase DCS F/A-18 I believe you will not regret it.

Just took the F-16. Very good acceleration but it gives 0 sensation... Hornet is more enjoyable. But need a 3rd engine 😄

Talon Karde

Du Talon de qualité, élevé au grain et en plein air, entièrement livré en kit.

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

-= In Ctrl + E + E + E we trust =-

Blog Takarde Gaming

Envie de tester Shadow de Blade? Tiens, un code de parrainage : ARNJB3VB

I don’t have the F-16 but I was in the same boat as you but with the Mirage vs F/A-18 and very, very little time to learn. I chose the Mirage. A year later and I am just now getting into the Hornet. I can tell you I am honestly having a blast learning this plane. So deep and interesting. The only problem (it’s a good problem) is it is being updated so much lately that the training vids are out of date so makes for some confusion. But there is some logic in the menus, systems and weapons that you can honestly figure most things out with just a little trial and error.

Oh and yes, a third engine would be nice:classic_wink:

T-16000M FCS | Track IR5 | Quest 2 | ASROCK Z370 | i7-8700k | GTX1080-OC | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | OSX High Sierra for real work

Hack build

I was never biased either way. I'm more of an A-10/F-22/F-15 kind of guy so I looked at online reviews about dogfights. There was this one video about BVR that convinced me to get the F-16 over the F-18 but ever since most of the Dogfight videos I've watched Feature the F-18, but they're mostly gun only. Also, it's obvious the F-18 is way more developed. The f-16 doesn't even have campaing mode yet.

On 11/27/2020 at 4:52 PM, red777 said:

Thanks !

I went F-16,  i have both modules but i dont have the time to put into the F-18 at the moment so the F-16 is perfect as i can enjoy DCS, get a very good grounding in the basic flight and systems and then learn the more in depth systems when ED roll them out on the F-16. 

Also F-18 cockpit to me is a clutter....F-16 is just perfect 🤩👍🤣

Edited by Droning_On
Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x [OC_4700Mhz  1.27v All Core],   AMD Rx6700XT 12GB,    32Gb DDR4_3200 CL16,    M.2_NVMe(OS) + 1TB M.2 SSD for DCS install ,    Delan opentrack IR,    QHD 1440p@75Mhz 32" HDR Monitor.

Hotas heavy modded  T.Flight Hotas One - 3D printed Mods. 3D Printed Pedals 3D prinded Delan Clip, Future mods…Upgrade T.flight to Hall sensors…more switches….F-16 ICP,  Spitfire/Mossie switch labels and future Athentikit Spit Mk iX controls.