[AS INTENDED] Sidearm Not Locking Up

Flyer0001

I tried to follow the interactive training specifically for the sidearm to the letter and it would not lock up on the radars provided. The targeting reticle would jump around. Other systems on the plane were tracking the SAM radars. It would not lock up no matter how close I got. The training just for the sidearm does not tell you to flip arming switch but I did that as well. I noticed another bug entry for the sidearm which did not deal with not locking up on a target.

So two things here 1. I need a short .trk file demonstrating the issue and 2. At what rangte did you attempt to lock up the emmitting radar? I just flew on Hoggit this morning and have 2 SA6 and 2 SA8 kills to add to my belt so I have a feeling you may be doing something wrong. Feel free to reach out to me on Discord and we can set up a time and place to meet, chat and run through things.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Thank you for the quick response. Attached is the track file. I hope I did not do something wrong in a simple interactive training mission. The track file shows my flying skills leave something to be desired. I have not been able to master the autopilot yet. The track file also shows I am about a nm away from what I understand the target to be.

Harrier Caucasus TM017 Short Sidearm FINAL.miz_27112020_20-12.trk

I flew the training mission again and noticed this time they do tell you to turn the master arm on. The danger of turning on accelerated time. I was still unable to lock up the target. The targets are registering on the EW so I know where they are. I also had this problem in one of the new missions for the Harrier.

This has happened to me several times after November update with the Harrier, just happened again now and I jumped into the forum to see if someone else was having the same problem in a multiplayer mission. I will try reproduce it in a single player one. It was happening to me with a SA11 and a SA8.

Edited by mimamema

1 hour ago, LastRifleRound said:

Can't tell from the video, but are you guys pressing uncage?

Well you can tell because of the continuous or dashed line of the aiming reticle (or whatever is called), and as you can see I try both caged and uncaged. Only when I re-arm is when the sidearm begins to lock on to the radar (and it was caged I think).

Keep in mind that the sidearm doesn't have range as a HARM for example. It's just a little sidewinder that tries to be self-protection anti radiation missile. You started to get a lock only when you got at about 10nm which sounds right. When you were farther away it just couldn't lock that radar.

Just played around with uncage and cage which only makes me think something really is wrong.  The training for just the sidearm starts out uncaged.  Caging it puts the reticle on the Velocity Vector until the missile detects a radar.  Then you can no longer cage it.  The sidearm reticle jumps around to the higher tone.  I literally ran the plane into the ground radar without any change so it is not a question of range.  

Did a little test now. Put some EWRs, SD and SA-8 on the range.

If I use Sidearm caged, it finds the targets harder and you basically have to point your VV on the targets location for the Sidearm to pick it up.

If I use Sidearm uncaged, it gets a lock on EWRs from ~11nm

To me, that sounds right. Also, I could uncage -> cage -> uncage Sidearm without issue

• 2 weeks later...

I think there was some logic change for the Anti Radiation missiles recently however I will look into it further.

Report. Trested in CB and OB. No issues locking up SA 6, 8 , 15, 19 or EWR at 12nm in caged, roughly 9-8nm in uncaged. Check you have IR Cool on after you fence inandf give it 90 sec. Then A/G  mode, MA on, select gun MPCD button 10 and then SA with MPCD button 10 again.

Note this was done from 12,000 ASL + TGT, slight 5 degree dive was initiated at 15nm.

Try this out, make a short.trk file showing your work and let me know if this works for you or not.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

8 hours ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Report. Trested in CB and OB. No issues locking up SA 6, 8 , 15, 19 or EWR at 12nm in caged, roughly 9-8nm in uncaged. Check you have IR Cool on after you fence inandf give it 90 sec. Then A/G  mode, MA on, select gun MPCD button 10 and then SA with MPCD button 10 again.

Note this was done from 12,000 ASL + TGT, slight 5 degree dive was initiated at 15nm.

Try this out, make a short.trk file showing your work and let me know if this works for you or not.

That's pretty interesting that it worked for you with IR COOL on. 

You're not supposed to use IR COOL with Sidearms. Activating the IR COOL switch in A/G mode and then uncaging would cause the seeker to free float, and any subsequent maneuvers could break the seeker if it gets whipped around and hits its gimbal limits. Activating IR COOL in any other mode automatically uncages the seeker and does the same. (TACMAN II, 2-153, pg. 641)

If modeled properly, this could be contributing to some of the testing inconsistencies.

But the manual says very specifically NOT to use IR COOL with Sidearms on the aircraft - its only useful function is to provide Sidewinder cooling if needed on the ground.

Edited by ChickenSim

The way sidearms and sidewinders for in DCS is a little funky unfortunately, so the sidearms wont work well inless the IR cool is on and the sidewinders need to be pre cooled to be fired or get a better lock.

Thank you for checking!  The sidearm seems to be working in either IR uncool or cool.  Not sure what happened except for the update.  However I am still having the same problem as that described in a newer topic.  The reticle won't settle down on the HUD showing me which SAM is being targeted.  However, the sidearm destroys the SAM which is what I really care about.  When being shot at I am too "panicked" to care where it is going.

On 12/17/2020 at 1:05 PM, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

The way sidearms and sidewinders for in DCS is a little funky unfortunately, so the sidearms wont work well inless the IR cool is on and the sidewinders need to be pre cooled to be fired or get a better lock.

Is this intended behavior or a constraint on ED's part? I don't recall ever having to set IR COOL to ON to use the Sidearm in DCS, so it was just surprising to me that it's required now.

Even the Sidewinders shouldn't require you to use that switch. They can be cooled three ways:

1. Automatically, when selected on the Stores page and the Master Arm switch is ON.
  2. When pressing the COOL option (P/B 2) on the Stores page (able to be preselected on the deck, but inhibited with weight on wheels).
  3. When using the IR COOL switch (works with weight on wheels).

On 12/12/2020 at 12:39 AM, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

I think there was some logic change for the Anti Radiation missiles recently however I will look into it further.

I went ahead and tried your parameters with IR cool on and same results.  The HUD reticle won't lock up no matter how close you get but the emitter is destroyed.  I am trying to get you a track file showing the emitter being destroyed but have not succeeded.  

On a more cheery note, I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed this plane.  One area where you are heads & shoulders above everyone else is the interactive training.  As well done as the Chuck manuals are and some of the YouTube videos (Wags, RedKite), there is no substitute for active vs. passive training.  You have broken out each of the important facets of operating the plane and made learning a very complex machine about as simple as possible.  

• 4 weeks later...

Devs are unable to find an issue with the SideARMs not locking. Tho the ARM logic is up to ED. I have no issues locking up an emitting radar or SAM threat and am able to successfully engage them outside of their WEZ. Marking AS INTENDED and moving to RESOLVED.

• Like 1

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [AS INTENDED] Sidearm Not Locking Up