Serious asymmetric loadout error.

Tenkom

I just noticed something very wrong with the flight model while flying. If you have a an asymmetric loadout the plane will keep rolling towards the heavy wing even when inverted... While flying right side up it's natural that the heavy wing will drop. However when the plane is inverted the heavy wing should roll the plane the opposite direction right? I'm no aerodynamics expert(quite the opposite) but at least that's how it should be in my mind.

No track attached but you can just start up a mission, jettison everything on one wing and you will see what I mean. Running the current Open Beta version.

11 hours ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

Let go of the stick and see what happens.

Yeah, in the previous test I was obviously faking it to roll in the right direction with stick input. Here's another video of another test with axes widget on.

Axes widget has been obviously added in after effects. Moon is flat. Earth landing was faked. Lol.

Edited by Honey

On 11/28/2020 at 12:57 AM, Tenkom said:

I just noticed something very wrong with the flight model while flying. If you have a an asymmetric loadout the plane will keep rolling towards the heavy wing even when inverted... While flying right side up it's natural that the heavy wing will drop. However when the plane is inverted the heavy wing should roll the plane the opposite direction right? I'm no aerodynamics expert(quite the opposite) but at least that's how it should be in my mind.

No track attached but you can just start up a mission, jettison everything on one wing and you will see what I mean. Running the current Open Beta version.

Roll moment depends on your elevator input regardless if you are upside down or not, as long as the G is above 0, lift is created on the wings and the center of gravity is offset due to the assymetric loadout. That means there is an arm created between the 2 forces and that keeps the plane rolling the same direction.

Edited by HWasp

19 hours ago, Honey said:

Yeah, in the previous test I was obviously faking it to roll in the right direction with stick input. Here's another video of another test with axes widget on.

Axes widget has been obviously added in after effects. Moon is flat. Earth landing was faked. Lol.

Try not to correct at all and observe the plane roll past 90°.

Maybe that's how it works IRL, what do I know.

Edited by Svend_Dellepude

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

10 hours ago, Svend_Dellepude said:

Try not to correct at all and observe the plane roll past 90°.

Maybe that's how it works IRL, what do I know.

Ooh, that's what the author meant. Like when you let go of controls completely and let it into vertical dive? At that point it doesn't roll against gravity, though, does it?

Right but if it starts rolling at that point then if the roll rate is not stable but increasing, then the roll lift and intertia would overcome gravity would it not? IM not an aeronautical engineer but knowing the basics of aeronautics and using logic thats what I would deduce.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

Here is a video of coffee being poured into a glass while upside down during a barrel roll. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pvG_ZSnCc

Heavy things falling "down" towards the ground is not always true when flying an aircraft! 

Again, which way the plane should roll, depends on the elevator (G positive or negative), so yes, rolling the same direction inverted can be the correct behaviour

Ok, so between myself and others I've had try this as well as consulting an actual aerodynamicist, I can now say with confidence that this is intended behaviour due in part to elevator position ( which includes current trim) as well as roll inertia. Marking AS INTENDED and moving to RESOLVED.

• Like 2

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.