NEW PIMAX VR UPDATE 60FPS

Devil 505

Well Gents, I am at a loss for words and still do not believe what I am seeing! PIMAX PI tool just had an update to a new version and then the headset itself had a firmware update. I am not shit getting 60 FPS now in game. I thought something must be wrong. I recorded the same video I have done before flying the F-16 over Syria and turned the FPS counter on for everyone to see. I then ran the densely populated Huey free flight mission in Syria created by ED. On the low end I was getting 45 FPS but averaged around 50 FPS.

I am uploading the F-16 video now and will follow up with the Huey video. The only thing I have noticed in headset that looks odd is there is a small ghosting effect on the lettering after the update in the menus. I can easily deal with this given the performance upgrade I am seeing. Hopefully I am not jumping the gun here and posting to soon. I have tried the F-14 and F-18 on the super carrier and both are rocking 60 FPS. I hope this is not effected down the road with future updates. 60 FPS in VR is a wet dream. If anyone else is flying with a PIMAX headset, please post and advise if you have seen the performance I am seeing.

Edited by robert.clark251
  • Like 3

Good to hear. What are your PC specs?

System is as follows

Intel i9-9900K

32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200 MHZ

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Windows 10 64-bit (not sure there is even a 32 anymore)

1 TB SSD Hard Drive

No overclocking or anything like that. Stock settings. Run OBS for recording the the videos in VR. PIMAX 8K VR headset using the latest PI tool that was just updated today. Just took the Harrier out for a run on the Syria map. Still crushing 60 FPS. I am afraid to turn my computer off. LOL. She is running DCS like a dream right now.

• Like 1

Interesting. I kinda figured the headsets themselves were at least partially to blame for the bad performance, but I guess this confirms it. Heh, people forget how new this tech is compared to other stuff, we're just now coming out of the ''everybody's winging it'' phase lol

Anyway, congratulations, enjoy your new and improved performance until the next update breaks it again :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Interesting. I kinda figured the headsets themselves were at least partially to blame for the bad performance, but I guess this confirms it. Heh, people forget how new this tech is compared to other stuff, we're just now coming out of the ''everybody's winging it'' phase lol

Anyway, congratulations, enjoy your new and improved performance until the next update breaks it again :p

That is what I am afraid of, a new patch causing a revert back to old FPS performance. This is completely wild speculation and I have nothing to back it up, but I wonder if this performance boost or firmware update has anything to do with the new MS Flight Sim 2020 VR update coming next month. I am wondering if all major VR companies are doing firmware updates in preparation to run the game, and maybe indirectly this increased the performance of DCS.

I agree older headsets must have some sort of performance issues, but I have read numerous posts of people buying top of the line gaming PC's with new HP VR headsets just for DCS and are still unable to get past 40 or 45 FPS if they are lucky. I am hoping the performance I am seeing is here to stay and a glimpse of future performance across the board for all VR users. Time will tell.

I will continue to test it and post videos. Still curious if I am the only one seeing this performance. I keep trying to convince myself the update reduced the graphics some how causing the increase in FPS, but all my in game settings did not change and the PI Tool setting are the same as before the firmware/software update. It's a close encounters of third kind moment.

I'm using the 8kx and going to test this. By the way, with the new backlight brightness setting my experience was that with high settings it will introduce ghosting. Might want to experiment with that to see how it affects your situation.

Vitallini, thanks for the heads up on the backlight brightness. I will test it out here in a bit and see if that changes the ghosting. Been flying quite a bit today and hitting 50 to 60 FPS consistently. Only time I am dropping into 40 or 45 FPS is on the Persian Gulf map around dense cities. But it still runs a hell of a lot better than it did. I updated the Pi TOOL through the tool itself. Then updated the firmware on the headset through the tool. Let me know if you see a difference.

Ok, so I'm messing around with settings so much each day that I feel like I can't conclude anything and my teflon memory makes it hard to judge. I also run the highest resolution possible and that would mean any difference would be harder to notice. Still, I remember thinking to my self after I updated firmware and pitool that performance had increased slightly. Nothing like you experienced here though. I was using a beta-firmware that slipped out the cracks before I updated the pitool which I think is the same as the firmware that shipped with the last pitool. Not sure, but I believe there are different firmware dependent on headset so that might explain the differences.

We are talking pitool v1.0.1.266 ?

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Gunnars, you are correct. PiTool v1.0.1.266 Headset Firmware v2.1.255.269 GeForce Game Ready Driver (NVIDIA) v457.30 updated on 11/09/20. PIMAX 8K (first gen that was released)

Changing the backlight got rid of the ghosting effect like Vitallini said. I reduced it from 50 to 25. Weird, I saw a 5 FPS drop, but when I got in the air, back up to 60. I am going to toy with the backlight a little more and bump it up to 30. Not sure why the backlight would effect the FPS. I want to say this was changed automatically to 50 though when the PiTool updated.

Here are my PiTool settings

Refresh rate 80HZ

Backlight 25

Field of view Normal

Render Quality 1.5 (in game under VR tab is )

Fixe Foveated Rendering Close

Nothing checked below that

Contrast 2

Brightness 1

In Game DCS settings are attached below in the screen shots.

de2da2a18313e6643b0daf4e54db2bf9.thumb.jpg.6b973dd857d62c205bc91ea37b79ab05.jpg

1809ebe25b83f934435488f256102902.thumb.jpg.e3e644cbd372ce899b7f76b38f1e1dc8.jpg

b9522552b08bd3adc4817338e2053e55.thumb.jpg.2ac57491a5d786b1e2f927ee28e0b2b6.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies Gents, 

I have forgot to post the below settings as they may assist in frame rate increase.  At least I am still seeing awesome numbers out of mine after the last ED OB patch and NVIDIA patch.  I will post the Steam VR setting next time I have the PIMAX up and running but if I remember correctly, I did not really adjust anything in there.  I believe I left most if not all on auto.  The resolution I know is on auto but defaults to 150% on my settings.

NVIDIA Control Panel Settings

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Here is a video I posted today after the last update.  A quick (40+ minutes) training flight over Nevada dropping 4x GBU-24's.  I time stamped the video so you can jump around if you do not want to watch me set the systems up enroute.  The FPS ranged from 55 to 63.  It was so nice flying at that high of a FPS.  You can tell in the video below.  As always, it was recorded with OBS.  I have yet to find a way to accurately center the screen to the HUD.  OBS only allows left or right eye recording, not both.  I get better alignment using the left eye than the right.  The right eye is offset really bad.  If anyone knows how to make PIMAX center better than what I have below, please post.  I would really like to know.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, robert.clark251 said:

Gunnars, you are correct. PiTool v1.0.1.266 Headset Firmware v2.1.255.269 GeForce Game Ready Driver (NVIDIA) v457.30 updated on 11/09/20. PIMAX 8K (first gen that was released)

Changing the backlight got rid of the ghosting effect like Vitallini said. I reduced it from 50 to 25. Weird, I saw a 5 FPS drop, but when I got in the air, back up to 60. I am going to toy with the backlight a little more and bump it up to 30. Not sure why the backlight would effect the FPS. I want to say this was changed automatically to 50 though when the PiTool updated.

Here are my PiTool settings

Refresh rate 80HZ

Backlight 25

Field of view Normal

Render Quality 1.5 (in game under VR tab is )

Fixe Foveated Rendering Close

Nothing checked below that

Contrast 2

Brightness 1

In Game DCS settings are attached below in the screen shots.

Tip: Try to change your IPD setting on DCS VR Options TAB to 55 or 56 and give feedback. It changes te world scale to correct level. In 65 IPD i feel a giant inside the cockpit changing to 56 corrected that 🙂

enjoy.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.