DCS RWR Symbology mod

If you're like me, you like to use 3rd party mods as AI aircraft in missions. Some popular examples would be the various VSN aircraft like the F-22 or F-35 or Grinnelli's F-22 and CubanAce's Su-57 etc. If you do, you're probably familiar with the lovely RWR symbol of the <U> which basically means Unknown contact. Or in other words, the aircraft isn't in the RWR database so it has no idea what to put on the display, so you get <U>. Well, I wanted to know which were 22's and which were 35's for example. So I set out to determine which file controls that. Once I found it, it was pretty obvious how it works and a few edits later I was able to add custom aircraft to the RWR database.

So, I put together a modded lua file that contains a bunch of popular aircraft mods. If you don't have a particular mod installed it doesn't matter. It won't break anything from what I can tell and will simply not care if there are entries present for aircraft you don't have. You can of course just edit the file and remove any lines for ones you don't have or add ones you do have. It's very simple.

The files is AN_ALR_SymbolsBase.lua located in the main folder path \Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\Cockpit.

Near the bottom of the file you can clearly see where new entries for official modules have been added. Heatblur for example:

-- F-14 heatblur

['F-14A'] = '14',

['F-14B'] = '14',

['F-14D'] = '14',

['AIM_54A_Mk60'] = 'M',

['AIM_54A_Mk47'] = 'M',

And the first part is simply the name of the aircraft as determined by it's lua file in whatever mod file it has and the last part is the two digit alphanumeric designation that will display on the RWR.

For example:

['VSN_F22'] = '22',

['VSN_F35A'] = '35',

I added all of my entries near the bottom of the file.

This will not pass IC.

DCS RWR Symbology (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

Edited by Nightstorm
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 8:47 AM, El Phantasmo said:

@Nightstorm I noticed the high digit sam mod definitions on the list however if I try to change the SA-17 to list as 17 in game instead of 11 it doesn't update it in game. Would this change be possible? 

17 is already in use in the stock file by the C-17.      {C_17_,         "17"},  This was an ED entry.

If the C_17 line was changed to something else, then it could be freed up.

If anyone has a correct list for the high digit sam's I can look into making the changes.

23 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

17 is already in use in the stock file by the C-17.      {C_17_,         "17"},  This was an ED entry.

If the C_17 line was changed to something else, then it could be freed up.

If anyone has a correct list for the high digit sam's I can look into making the changes.

Here is what I have as far as NATO names of radars for the HDS mod as well as the new S-300 modpack. However, many of the radars do not change what they show up as, regardless of what you seem to put into the .lua. Maybe you can figure out more @Nightstorm.

--HIGHDIGITSAMS (Sensors)
	['SA-17 Buk TR']		= '17',	-- Chair Back B, "11" always
	['S-300V 9S32 tr']		= '12',	-- Grill Pan	
	['S-300V 9S19 sr']		= 'HS',	-- High Screen	
	['S-300V 9S15 sr']		= 'BD',	-- Bill Board	
	['S-300VM 9S32ME tr']	= '23',	-- Grill Pan M/ Grill Screen, "12" always			
	['S-300VM 9S19M2 sr']	= 'HS',	-- High Screen M			
	['S-300VM 9S15M2 sr']	= 'BD',	-- Bill Board M				
	['S-300PS 64H6E TRAILER sr']		= 'BB',	-- Big Bird					
	['S-300PS SA-10B 40B6MD MAST sr']	= 'CS',	-- Clam Shell				
	['S-300PS 40B6M MAST tr']			= '10',	-- Flap Lid					
	['S-300PS 30H6 TRAILER tr']			= '10',	-- Flap Lid
	['S-300PMU1 30N6E tr']				= '20',	-- Tomb Stone, "10" always	
	['S-300PMU1 40B6M tr']				= '20',	-- Tome Stone, "10" always		
	['S-300PMU1 40B6MD sr']				= 'CS',	-- Clam Shell	
	['S-300PMU1 64N6E sr']				= 'BB',	-- Big Bird E		
	['S-300PMU2 64H6E2 sr']				= 'BB',	-- Big Bird E				
	['S-300PMU2 92H6E tr']				= '20',	-- Grave Stone, "10" always						
	['SAMP/T ARABEL str']				= 'SD',				
	['SAMP/T NG GF300 str']				= 'SD',					
	['34Ya6E Gazetchik E decoy']		= 'CS',						
	['SON-9 Fire Can TR']				= 'A',						

-- S-300 Pack (Sensors)
	['S-400 91N6E sr']		= 'BB',	-- Big Bird M	
	['S-400 96L6E sr']		= 'CB',	-- Cheese Board	
	['S-400 92N6E tr']		= '21',	-- Grave Stone, "10 always	
	['S-300V4 9S32M-1E tr']	= '23',	-- Grill Pan M2	/ Grill Screen M2, "12" always		
	['S-300V4 9S19M-1E sr']	= 'HS',	-- High Screen M2			
	['S-300V4 9S15MDE sr']	= 'BD',	-- Bill Board M2
	['Pantsir_SM']	= '22',	-- Hot Shot, "P" always

• Thanks 1

I'll add in the ones that are missing and see what I can see.  As long as the name is correct it should work.  From what I've seen it's just looking for a match in the LUA file and if it finds it, it displays whatever is after the = and if it doesn't it displays 'U' for unknown.

I double checked what you have against the sensors.lua in the high digit sams mod and the S-400 Trumph and they match.  I'll do some testing. 

Edited by Nightstorm

I've tested out the S-400 and I saw BB and CS.  I don't know why it said CS when it should've been CB.  I've updated the downloads with the additions so others can test.  I don't know of anything else that can be done.  The entries appear to be correct and it's not showing up as 'U' so it's being fed data from somewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...