[NO BUG] Special option for stick not working for Virpil VFX F-14 Grip

Baz000

Regardless of if I have the special option ticked or not to for required press down when switching between off and gun on the weapon selector, with my Virpil F-14 grip this special option does nothing and I am still able to move the selector from gun to off or vice versa without needed to press down on my weapon selector china HAT.

Would be nice if this could be addressed so I could use this realistic function with my Virpil F-14 stick grip too. And honestly, i'm surprised that nobody has even mentioned anything about it.

The push down function as shown in my Virpil joystick tester software is button 2 and is momentary, OFF selection is button 10 and is latched and GUN selection is button 9 and latched.

The special option in the F-14 settings don't work with it and also, yes the hardware requires you to press it but only so slightly, it doesn't require a full press down... Whereas the software of pushing the button while moving the latched switch would require a full press down.

The special option in the F-14 settings don't work with it and also, yes the hardware requires you to press it but only so slightly, it doesn't require a full press down... Whereas the software of pushing the button while moving the latched switch would require a full press down.

Hey Baz000,

this option isn't meant for the virpil stick or the vkb stick, precisely because they have that physically modeled. The option is meant only for sticks that do not have a weapon selector, means non F-14 replicas, so they can simulate that function in its physical absence. Hope that makes sense.

BTW, if you feel the weapon selector doesn't require enough pressure, that is feedback I am sure virpil would be happy to hear about. :)

Marked as no bug.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Strange, because the way it is labeled is indicated as the following:

require weapon selector press between OFF and GUN (which seems to be making sense if you have a replica F-14 grip, since that is how it worked in the real aircraft)

and then it is described as the following when you hover your mouse over top of it:

"For enhanced realism, pilot weapon selector needs to be pressed while moving between OFF and GUN positions. This may be impractical with many consumer joysticks, hence it is an optional feature."

I mean, reading that... It gives me the impression that this is exactly for my replica F-14 stick grip since this optional feature requires me to Press down the weapon selector HAT, actuating the button 2 on my stick, while moving the selector switch to the Button 9 or 10 position simultaneously which should mimic the real jet.

Either you could possibly be mistaken about the feature or the feature needs some more descriptive labeling when you hover the mouse over top of it?

I don't understand you.

I got the vkb F-14 stick and I have to press the button to move into gun. All set.... Guess virpil should be the same.

Whatfore you need the special option for since the hardware requires the press already?

Just don't get it, might missing something.

Gesendet von meinem LYA-L29 mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, and presumably the only time you would need it to act as a button would be when you're in Sparrow and need to switch to Phoenix. The Physical stop is well physical, the sim doesn't need to perform the action because you're already doing it in hardware.

I honestly have no idea why the Off to Guns press is there at all. I use the "CMS" L and R positions on my modified B8 stick for cycling up and down and it goes from Off to guns no problem without having to pretend some kind of off to gun interlock. I do wish it was smart enough to click "up" from Sparrow to Phoenix as opposed to requiring me to bind another button off the stick to do it.

I think the question is in the real jet in order to move from GUN to OFF and vice versa, is that weapon selection hat pressed in so deep as to actuate the PH/SP missile select or is it only a slight push to pass a detent?

I haven’t had the pleasure of sitting inside a F-14 cockpit to know and i’m trying to setup my pit as close as I can get to the real jet, maybe it’s just me being pedantic but to me the attention to the details add up to the overall experience.

Edited by Baz000

On 11/29/2020 at 3:26 AM, RustBelt said:

Yes, and presumably the only time you would need it to act as a button would be when you're in Sparrow and need to switch to Phoenix. The Physical stop is well physical, the sim doesn't need to perform the action because you're already doing it in hardware.

I honestly have no idea why the Off to Guns press is there at all. I use the "CMS" L and R positions on my modified B8 stick for cycling up and down and it goes from Off to guns no problem without having to pretend some kind of off to gun interlock. I do wish it was smart enough to click "up" from Sparrow to Phoenix as opposed to requiring me to bind another button off the stick to do it.

Based on using the VKB replica of the grip, I've found the stop is actually very convenient.  Aside from serving as something of a safety (i.e. you don't go out of OFF unless you want to, and you don't go back into OFF (which is also ORD in ground-attack mode) unless you want to, it also means that when switching from either missile type to GUN, you can just thumb it down 'til it stops and not worry about feeling the individual clicks to know what position it's in.  Since you obviously don't want to be looking at the stick while you are flying, it removes some ambiguity.

I do wish it was smart enough to click "up" from Sparrow to Phoenix as opposed to requiring me to bind another button off the stick to do it.

The weapon selector on the F-14 stick has the top position as "SP/PH", and the weapon selector press action toggles between those two missile types, so making "up" do it would not be realistic, as there is no further up position on the stick's weapon selector. I suppose if there is sufficient demand, we could add a special option to allow this, so that pressing "up" in the PH/SP position would emulate weapon selector press.  (Edit: this feature has now been added)

I think the question is in the real jet in order to move from GUN to OFF and vice versa, is that weapon selection hat pressed in so deep as to actuate the PH/SP missile select or is it only a slight push to pass a detent?

The weapon selector press action is not specific to PH/SP toggling, it has different functions in different positions of the weapon selector. In SP/PH position, it toggles between those missiles. In sidewinder position, it steps missiles (i.e. selects which one will be fired (and therefore also which one provides IR seeker tone to cockpit audio). Between off and gun it needs to be pressed (on the real stick, and VKB (and perhaps Virpil) F-14 grips) to move between those positions because of a physical detent preventing it from being moved otherwise.

Edited by gyrovague
indicated that a feature has since been added

Heatblur Simulations

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, gyrovague said:

I suppose if there is sufficient demand, we could add a special option to allow this, so that pressing "up" in the PH/SP position would emulate weapon selector press.  (Edit: this feature has now been added)

Wow that was fast!