Virpil Mongoose T50 base + TM F-18 grip + 10 cm extension = best combo for AV8B?

Bog9y

Hi guys,

Looking to get into the AV8B once I've finished with learning the F-16. I was thinking about upgrading from my TM Warthog stick to a Virpil Mongoose base, TM F-18 grip with a 10 cm extension. Would this be considered the best combo for the AV8B or is there a better combo out there?

Be aware that Virpil also do a 20cm extension. I think that it works very well.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the MongoosT-50CM2 with the Thrustmaster F-18 grip for a couple of years now, and I highly recommend the combo.  The Virpil base is simply amazing.  I wrote a review on their webpage, so I won't repeat it here, but it is so good in so many ways.  The only "negative" I can even think of is that you have to mount it to something, but I don't know if that's fair to call it a negative.  Once you start using it, you'll never want to go back to your Thrustmaster base.

The F-18 grip is very nice, and I only had a little bit of trouble where the grip and the shaft had a little bit of slip.  After fixing that, it's great.  There's a good thread on modifying the weapon release and NWS buttons, and there are some posts where people have replaced the standard hat switch with a MIL-SPC part.  Take a look for yourself, but switching the sensor select and trim switches, while possible, looks difficult. 

Personally, I'm fine with it as-is.  All of the functionality is the same, just the two switches are swapped.  I don't even think about it.  Unless you're a purist or you're building a harrier cockpit, you'll probably be happy without swapping the switches.