Per-aircraft PTT buttons

Dragon1-1

I've started looking into giving VAICOM a try, but I ran into a problem with PTT buttons. I prefer to set up my controls to be close to the real aircraft's layout. This means I don't have one single PTT hat, but sometimes a throttle button or even one on the stick is used. For example, the F-16 uses a hat on the front, leaving the one I use for comms hat on the Warthog for antenna elevation.

Is that possible to assign per-aircraft PTT buttons, and if not, would it be possible to implement that feature? 

To do this you can create a separate VA profile for each aircraft and select this before you fly - you will just need to remember to copy Vaicom commands to all profiles when the Finish button is pressed.

There may be a way to do it in code, but the buttons are assigned as part of VoiceAttack not Vaicom

Edited by hornblower793
  • Like 1

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

A second way to do it is to only have one VAICOM profile, and assign each TX node to a vJoy button.

Then have a separate Joystick Gremlin profile for each aircraft, and assign your PTT buttons to those vJoy buttons, as desired by aircraft.  After that, you only have to load a different JG profile when switching aircraft.

I used to do it the first way, and would have to mess with daisy chained profiles in Voiceattack, but I came up with the second way a few weeks ago, and think it's much easier to deal with.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Hi all

Just to add that there is another elegant option to consider which uses the plugins exposed variables. 
Exposed variables are there to cover exactly these types of scenarios.  

Let's assume you already have configured a default 4-hat setup for TX/PTT on your throttle, which you use for all aircraft.  
But for a specific aircraft, let's say the Mig28, you want TX2 mapped to a hw button on your stick instead of the throttle.  

This can be achieved in two steps.  

Step 1 

Edit the TX2 Press and Release command in the profile (which are mapped to a throttle button) 
Create a conditional block around the plugin call using the exposed variable for the active module name: 

- Go to command edit menu Other -> Advanced -> Begin a Conditional (If statement) block -> Single condition -> Text
- Variable/Token {TXT:vaicompro.playerdata.currentmodule.name} Does Not Equal Mig28
- Move the 'execute external plugin 'VAICOM PRO 2.5' line down to sit between Begin and End so result looks like this

Begin Text Compare {TXT:vaicompro.playerdata.currentmodule.name} Does Not Equal ' Mig28'
    'execute external plugin 'VAICOM PRO 2.5' 
End 

Do this for both the Press and Release command. 
The effect is that the default TX2 Press/Release combo is now no longer used with this module.     

Step 2 

Commands in the VA profile can be duplicated. 
Continue by making a copy of the TX2 Press command that you just edited by using right-click -> Duplicate. 
The command edit window opens.

- In the command edit window, doubleclick on the Begin Text Compare line and change 'Does Not Equal' to 'Equals'
- Tick the 'When I say' textbox and change the command name to 'Transmit TX2 press (Mig28)' 
- Important: after editing the name, untick the 'When I say' checkbox again! 
- Edit the When I Press Key/Button with the ... button and map the command to the stick hw button you want to use with the Mig28.

Finish with OK/Apply/Done.

Now do the exact same steps with the TX2 Release command copy.
Important: when changing the button binding for Release this item must be checked: 'Shortcut is invoked only when all keys are released'. 

Done. 

If you've executed the above steps carefully, the stick hw button will now be used as TX2 press/release combo for the Mig28.  
For all other modules, the TX2 button on the throttle is used instead.

Needless to say you can repeat this recipe for as many module/button scenarios as you want. 
This means you will not need multiple profiles but can handle it all in a single one. 

I hope this will be helpful.
Grtz

Edited by Hollywood_315
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

Great solution @Hollywood_315

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Hollywood, I’m willing to give that a shot, but my question is this: what are the module names that VAICOM will recognize?

I’m not at home and can’t look at the manual to see if it’s mentioned or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Ok, thanks for the tip.  Here's an example of what I checked:

A-10A
A-10C (covers both A-10C and A-10C II)
AV-8BNA
F-5E
F-14AB (covers both F-14A and F-14B)
F-15C
F-16C
FA-18C
F-86F
P-47D
P-51D
TF-51D

I'll start working on A/C specific PTTs in a bit.  I've figured a way around some of my other Joystick Gremlin/vJoy requirements, so if this works, I will have two less pieces of software to worry about (especially if a device accidentally disconnects in-flight!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Wow, this was tedious, but it seems to be working so far.  

One issue though, with the F-14.  On the comms switch, pressing upward should activate both UHF1 and UHF2.  That would logically make it a candidate for the TX4 AUTO function, however the F-14B doesn't have AUTO recognized in VAICOM (the F-14A DOES).

This leaves me with trying to squeeze two "Execute External Plugin" lines on the same PTT, which doesn't seem to work.  Only the second one lights up in VAICOM's configuration window.

Any ideas, @Hollywood_315?

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Hmmm... well it seems when switching between the A and the B I have to reset VAICOM/VA and then the AUTO function is recognized in the B.

EDIT:  It also works the other way... if I load the B first, AUTO won't work in the A unless I restart VAICOM.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Any idea why getting auto to be recognized requires me to restart VAICOM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to setup a different controller profile for every aircraft because my comm-switches are completely different from one aircraft to another because I want them to resemble the real layout as close as possible. But I can't seem to get around the VoiceAttack exposed variables.
I tried to make a duplicated of every TX (I have no Joystick assigned to the default TX's in the VAICOM profile) and make a duplicate for every aircraft with "Equal to". But this assignment keeps reacting in other aircraft as well.
Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.21 - 15.37.43.47.png
So I tried the other way around with Not Equal to but still these assignments keep reacting in VAICOM in the other aircraft.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.02.21 - 15.37.23.74.png

The assignments above is just for ICS on the Huey to test it out.

Could somebody point me in the right direction ?

Thanks guys,

• Thanks 1

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

Selfmade Alu Rail 4080 mounts

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

Virpil 100mm extension + Virpil VFX + TM F/A-18 Stick

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

You need to move the "Execute external plugin command" at the top,  to be between the "Begin Text Compare" and "End" command, as stated earler by Hollywod

At the moment there is nothing executed inside your IF statement

You'll then need to make an identical command for every module, with the module you want selected in your "Begin Text Compare" command

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Weegie said:

You need to move the "Execute external plugin command" at the top,  to be between the "Begin Text Compare" and "End" command, as stated earler by Hollywod

At the moment there is nothing executed inside your IF statement

You'll then need to make an identical command for every module, with the module you want selected in your "Begin Text Compare" command

Thanks for the help. That did the trick.

• Thanks 1

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

On 12/8/2020 at 9:14 AM, Hollywood_315 said:

To see the module name, add a 'Write to log' command to one of your TX press commands using the token {TXT:vaicompro.playerdata.currentmodule.name}. Start a mission and press the TX.

Where can we turn on the Write To Log to determine module names?

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

That shows the module name in the Voice Attack command window

Go to Other\Advanced\ the command second from the bottom "Write a value to the event log"

Whenever you operate the PTT with that command added to a PTT you'll see the module name

That shows the module name in the Voice Attack command window

Go to Other\Advanced\ the command second from the bottom "Write a value to the event log"

Whenever you operate the PTT with that command added to a PTT you'll see the module name

Thank You very much
Now we know the A-4E is just A-4
  • Like 2

Kind regards

Jorik

Intel i7 8700k 5,0Ghz OC

Nvidia GTX1080Ti

32Gb DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

HP Reverb Pro

TM HOTAS WARTHOG

TM MFD's

Saitek Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 10:27 AM, Jorik said:

Thank You very much emoji1316.png
Now we know the A-4E is just A-4 emoji13.png

Just went through all my modules, it's actually not necessary to do that little trick as VAICOM lists what module you're in, with debug on I guess. 😄

Scratch that!

Cheers!

On 12/10/2020 at 9:16 PM, RogueSqdn said:

Ok, thanks for the tip.  Here's an example of what I checked:

A-10A
A-10C (covers both A-10C and A-10C II)
AV-8BNA
F-5E
F-14AB (covers both F-14A and F-14B)
F-15C
F-16C
FA-18C
F-86F
P-47D
P-51D
TF-51D

I'll start working on A/C specific PTTs in a bit.  I've figured a way around some of my other Joystick Gremlin/vJoy requirements, so if this works, I will have two less pieces of software to worry about (especially if a device accidentally disconnects in-flight!).

Here's my additional list.

Know the A-4's been mentioned already, but I added it anyway. 

Cheers!

A-4 (YES it has a working radio now, but not fully compatible with VAICOM, it seems it suffers from the same delay we saw in som modules before, when in the air that is. On the ground it seems fine)
AJS-37
Bf-109K-4
C-101 (Covers both CC and EB versions)
JF-17
KA-50
M-2000C
MB-339PAN (No radio yet though)
MiG-21Bis
Mi-8MT
MiG-15Bis
SA342L
SA342M (Covers the Minigun and Mistral as well)
SU-25
SU-25T
UH-1H
MiG-29
Su-27
Su-33

Edited by MAXsenna
  • Thanks 1

I just wanna thank you guys for this thread. I finally sat down yesterday, and added all my modules to one profile, which I'm tuning and testing today. It was nowhere near as tedious and cumbersome as I expected.

Have basically enabled four joysticks, (really need to ask/beg Gary for more in the future), with different mappings. And thanks to Voice Attack's excellent setup and features, I came up with a little different solution compared to the example above. As all A-10s are similar, instead of using "equal", I use "starts with - A-10". And they all now work with the same TXs.

As of now, I have five different TX1.

-Most planes that use single button throttle I have on button 1 on TM TWCS

-A10s and Hornet and others that use multiple TXs on hat switch on TM TWCS, until I get other throttles.

-All helicopters use the same TX except the Ka-50, trigger on main FFB stick

-Jeff and Viper on the Cougar Throttle

-Ka-50 on K-51's excellent collective. Will change this to a stick later when I get hands on a Virpil.

For TX2,3 etc. Well, you get the idea.

So far everything seems to work. But I'm toying with the idea of consolidating all MiGs and Su/SUs to "start with" instead of "equal" module name. But it's not that big of a hassle, as they're done already. 

When I'm done and happy, I might export and post it in the user files.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
Il 5/12/2020 at 09:16, Hollywood_315 ha scritto:

If you've executed the above steps carefully, the stick hw button will now be used as TX2 press/release combo for the Mig28.  
For all other modules, the TX2 button on the throttle is used instead.

Needless to say you can repeat this recipe for as many module/button scenarios as you want. 
This means you will not need multiple profiles but can handle it all in a single one. 

Hi Hollywood_315,

I have a problem...

How can I put several modules at the same time in the "not equals" compararison operator?

I tried , and ; (UH-1H; MI-24P or UH-1H, MI2-24P)... without success

Can you help me please

Hi Hollywood_315,
I have a problem...
How can I put several modules at the same time in the "not equals" compararison operator?
I tried , and ; (UH-1H; MI-24P or UH-1H, MI2-24P)... without success
Can you help me please
You must use the Condition Builder in VoiceAttack, and add an "or set" for each module.
Do you have an example?

Edit: It's also case sensitive I think, so it'll be Mi24P. I haven't checked that I'll admit. But I always do it anyway.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

so I have to write in comparison operator text box: UH-1H OR MI-24P
Right?

Finally OR I have to write it in capital letters or lowercase?
I meant. Do you have an example of what you would like to achieve?
And no. You do NOT put OR in the operator text. The VA condition builder will do it for you when you select AND or OR, so you need to have enter conditions for bot the Huey and the Hind.
But just tell me what you want to do, and I'll post the solution for you.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk