Mirage F1 hype

jojo

To avoid spamming the project update topic, share here pictures, videos or informations about various variants of the Mirage F1 😇

And the Voltige Victor. Display starts at 6'00".

Mirage F1 CR last air to air gun training.

Edited by jojo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

On 12/13/2020 at 11:44 PM, iLOVEwindmills said:

How did they differ from the French ones?

The CE should be pretty similar to the initial french C version, but lacking A-G telemetry (datalink)-functions. They were wired for Sidewinders instead of the Magics and they could carry a four-bomb MER under the fuselage. The CE could carry the Syrel, Barax and Caiman pods (the letter wasn't procured), had a downsized TACAN box and it could carry the cannon-pod CC420 under the fuselage and/ or under each wing. Apart from the Sidewinder-integration, the first batch didn't have all the modifications.

Likewise for the BE vs the B.

The EE had an INS and lost 140l of fuel volume against the CE, but it had an in-flight refuelling probe.

The EDA (ex quatari birds) had a full-up Système de Navigation et d'Attaque (which would probably best translate into an INS with nav and bombing computers*), the Rémora countermeasure pods and a recce pod CDR 2 and a Sycomore countermeasure system.

The M had improved A-G radar modes for the Cyrano IV, a HUD, colour-displays, a laser de télémétrie (?), Have Quick II radios, a digital mode 4 transponder, a GPS-coupling INS "Sextant", Sherlock RWR. Only the CE, BE and EE models were upgraded to M standards, while the EDA were put into storage.

That should be a quick and dirty comparison.

___

* Some francophones might want to correct me there.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

Thanks, would there be a difference in terms of ordnance? I vaguely recall reading that the Spanish did not use the super 530F?

I guess not much has been said about what will actually be added in game for this plane either. If they are going full accurate with the Spanish version, or make a 'pretend' French variant as well with armament options.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bremspropeller said:

The CE should be pretty similar to the initial french C version, but lacking A-G telemetry (datalink)-functions. They were wired for Sidewinders instead of the Magics... Apart from the Sidewinder-integration, the first batch didn't have all the modifications.

I serviced the AIM-9 B with the G.E.R.M.A.S BA 102 Dijon, at the time, the Squadrons flying there were equiped with the Mirage IIIE, wiring was NATO standard, always been, same for the Mirage F1, I'm quite sure it was the R550 which needed integration as the aircraft was from stock capable of using the AIM-9s but the Magic wasn't fully NATO compatible at the start.

The difference was probably not the wiring itself, but the black boxes allowing for the use of the AAMs from the cockpit, selectors, HUD box etc, especially if there had been some alteration of the B standard to newer AIM9 versions, in this respect, there were little differences with the Mirage III export version sold to Pakistan ready for use with newer AIM-9 variants.

• Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

On 12/19/2020 at 2:44 PM, Bremspropeller said:

The EDA (ex quatari birds) had a full-up Système de Navigation et d'Attaque (which would probably best translate into an INS with nav and bombing computers*), the Rémora countermeasure pods and a recce pod CDR 2 and a Sycomore countermeasure system.

The M had improved A-G radar modes for the Cyrano IV, a HUD, colour-displays, a laser de télémétrie (?), Have Quick II radios, a digital mode 4 transponder, a GPS-coupling INS "Sextant", Sherlock RWR. Only the CE, BE and EE models were upgraded to M standards, while the EDA were put into storage.

My French isn't great, but I think Système de Navigation et d'Attaque roughly translates to "Navigation and attack system", so yeah, some sort of INS or Doppler suite plus air to ground computer, like e.g. the Viggen perhaps. If I had to guess, laser de télémétrie refers to a laser rangefinder, so maybe a system like that in the Su-25?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 10:36 AM, TLTeo said:

My French isn't great, but I think Système de Navigation et d'Attaque roughly translates to "Navigation and attack system", so yeah, some sort of INS or Doppler suite plus air to ground computer, like e.g. the Viggen perhaps. If I had to guess, laser de télémétrie refers to a laser rangefinder, so maybe a system like that in the Su-25?

A SNA is not an INS, but rather a suite of sensors including an INS if available at the time depending on the export variants, but the Spanish F1 were fitted with a SAGEM ULISS 47 INS for example, upgraded with a Sextant inertial navigation system with GPS interface in April 1998.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050112092808/http://www.janes.com/regional_news/europe/news/jdu/jdu010426_1_n.shtml

The most advanced variant in service with the AdlA was the CT, its SNA was very precise and included an upgrade of the Cyrano IVM-R radar with additional ground attack modes, it also featured the SAGEM ULISS 47 so was probably the closest to the Spanish variant when it comes to avionics.

About the Cyrano IVM-R, I don't think it had full doppler capabilities, in any case it was designed to fire the MATRA Super-530 F with long range and high altitude in mind, the doppler BWR AAM came later, the D variant with the Mirage 2000C.

• Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. An AIM-9 on this hardpoint...
Makes me wonder if 2x Fox-1 and 4x Fox-2 would be possible 🤔

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

Well, most sources note the plane's loadout was 2x Fox2, 2x Fox1 for CAP
This is the 1st instance i see of an AIM-9 being mounted there
Not saying it's impossible, infact i wondered why not put more missiles on the plane if it has the hardpoints
Just not sure if this means we'll have a 4-2 load for Fox2-Fox1 missiles
Don't wanna overhype myself

Edited by BonerCat

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

I think the Greeks (and Spanish?) had a special Mod that enabled heaters on the wing-pylons.

And as it turns out, so did the Equadorians:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Ecuador-Air-Force/Dassault-Mirage-F1JA/1806421/L

Note the Python 4/5 missile. They also had Python 3s.

Dassault usually offered a high level of customisation, so one version of a Mirage might have totally different loadout-options than another.

The remaining questions wold be whether those loadouts were cleared and obtainable for any other customer as well, since you'd still need to procure the corresponding hardware - like launchers - to make that happen.

Edited by Bremspropeller

So ein Feuerball, JUNGE!

I expect it to be slightly worse in air to air, since it has an older, slightly worse BVR missile and radar, and it isn't a FBW jet (so I'd expect it to be less agile).

In air to ground it will probably be a different story depending on exactly what Aergees go for, because some F1s could carry laser guided bombs and missiles, laser designation pods, as well as anti radiation and anti ship missiles (although from what I've read, it's unlikely we're getting any variant that's compatible with the Exocet).

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 2:58 PM, Badger1-1 said:

I was wondering if or how much the -M would differ from the Mirage2000c, its lighter and has a weaker engine but almost same T/W ratio (0.66  vs 0.7)

But what about A/A and A/G? Can the F1 carry more A/A? 

I think you are mistaken.

Mirage F1 and Mirage 2000C have roughly the same empty weight, but Mirage 2000 is more powerful.

Atar Family | Safran Aircraft Engines (safran-aircraft-engines.com)
M53 | Safran Aircraft Engines (safran-aircraft-engines.com)

For AA and according to French Air Force pilots it's night and day: more powerful, better radar (look down/ shoot down), better missiles (Super 530D Vs Super 530F at best), integrated ECM compared to pods...

But yes, depending on the variant, some late Mirage F1 offer better options for AG.

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi