New VR user - G2 edge blur - "slightly underwhelmed"

zildac

I assume you are talkin gabout the Rift CV1? The CV1 had blurry edges as well, but when you adjusted the headset it was working quiet well. It was better on the Rift S.

A bit shocked that you are talking about a smaller Sweetspot than an CV1? Sounds to me like either bad IPD Adjustment or the head mount is not working great for your head (-> Misaligned with your eyes).

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Yep its a CV1.

Have only noticed blurry edges with the G2,never noticed this with the CV1.

Maybe the CV1 was balanced as it only pushed out much less resolution so probably less noticeable.

I could read all text with CV1 sometimes struggled with lower consoles very far back especially F14.

My conclusion is that the G2 cant push out 4k but only in a small area (sweet spot).

Personally I would prefer a balance all round. Not sure if 4k is a great idea in Dcs or needed as the graphic engine is very outdated.

The immersion,gameplay,smoothness and performance is very important to me.

Hopefully not having a pop at the G2 but I think I expected more,especially coming from a CV1

Also ACM is hard work now with the G2

Have you tried the CV1 or Rift S.

Apparently the Rift S had a sweet spot as well.

Maybe I will get use to it

I came from first Rift CV1 to Rift S and now Reverb G2.

I find the sweet-spot to be pretty good in the G2. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 12/2/2020 at 7:30 PM, zildac said:

Hi All,

So first time VR user here, and reasonably long time TrackIR user. Finally received my preordered G2 yesterday and got it all setup after some faffing about. Now whilst the image quality is very good (but I have to be honest still not as good as TIR on my Predator X34 obviously) the one huge downside is the edge blur I seem to have. For example, in the Hornet looking straight at the HUD previously with TIR I could move my eyes down to the left and read the text easily on the left MFD (Fuel or FCS page mostly) and had no need to move my head, which is useful for AAR or carrier circuits. However, if I do this now the text is in the "blur zone" and I need to physically move my head such that the MFD is almost in the centre (or thereabouts) of the lens, which is s a little frustrating. Tightening the headset side straps and having the facepad tight againsat my face helps a little but it still seems a little disappointing given the rave reviews re image quality. This issue is more pronounced when looking say down to the left and aft (in the Hornet) to the volume dials for the RWR etc as the headset moves a little and all of those dials are then in the "blur zone" unless I press the headset against my face. Is this just the nature of the beast?

I can't believe I'm the only one who has experienced this phenomena , or am I just too used to 2D?

I've messed with the IPD (on the headset) and lookig straight ahead is fine and clear, but the edge blur in my opinion is bad. I'm guessing it isn't such a major issue in FPS games etc (yet to try) but in DCS it's a real pain in the backside.

Any tips, tricks, suggestions or general VR related enlightenment welcomed.

For info I'm running at 50% resolution (native in SteamVR pretty much), SS is on.

Regards,

Ross.

One thought from left field - just try increasing Super Sampling  in steam as far as it will go. Then load DCS up (but close your eyes when you move your head because it will be as jerky as all heck).

But when done and loaded in the plane, check to see how much sharper the image is... including on the edge of the lens where you're having problems. Has it improved the image on the sides to a readable level?

If not - then no harm done, change back and you will at least know that it's all hardware/lens based.

However if it does improve it so you can read it on the edges (even though it will still not be as sharp as center) - it will indicate that there may be an option to 'burn through' the lens with sharper image the rendering side to a point that's readable. You can then go and play around with a more reasonable level of SS until you find the 'sweet spot' that gives you more clarity without causing FPS issues.

(The concept I have with this is to think about it like looking through a magnifier glass on 2 different photo's of text on a wall- once that is 100% in focus vs slightly blurry but still readable. 

With the sharp one, you will be able to read further on the edge of the magnifier glass before it gets too blurry to read compared to the one that's readable but already slightly OOF to start with).

Not sure how well it will work for you - I've just found that increasing SS has made a decent difference on my G1 to the point where I opt for lower Hz for the increased image sharpness and it helps with the G1 which has a smaller sweetspot. 

It'll also show you just how sharp an image we could get if graphics cards would catch up and do ridiculous resolutions. 😉

Edited by Dangerzone

One thought from left field - just try increasing Super Sampling  in steam as far as it will go. Then load DCS up (but close your eyes when you move your head because it will be as jerky as all heck).

But when done and loaded in the plane, check to see how much sharper the image is... including on the edge of the lens where you're having problems. Has it improved the image on the sides to a readable level?

If not - then no harm done, change back and you will at least know that it's all hardware/lens based.

However if it does improve it so you can read it on the edges (even though it will still not be as sharp as center) - it will indicate that there may be an option to 'burn through' the lens with sharper image the rendering side to a point that's readable. You can then go and play around with a more reasonable level of SS until you find the 'sweet spot' that gives you more clarity without causing FPS issues.

(The concept I have with this is to think about it like looking through a magnifier glass on 2 different photo's of text on a wall- once that is 100% in focus vs slightly blurry but still readable. 

With the sharp one, you will be able to read further on the edge of the magnifier glass before it gets too blurry to read compared to the one that's readable but already slightly OOF to start with).

Not sure how well it will work for you - I've just found that increasing SS has made a decent difference on my G1 to the point where I opt for lower Hz for the increased image sharpness and it helps with the G1 which has a smaller sweetspot. 

It'll also show you just how sharp an image we could get if graphics cards would catch up and do ridiculous resolutions.
Well I did just try that and it may be placebo but at 120% (application specific, 50% global res) it does seem a little better. I've got significant upgrade coming so it may be useable at those settings if the DCS VR gods are with me.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

12 hours ago, Icebeat said:

The thing is, The Valve's Index doesn't have this problem, the Image consistency is the same across the screen. I think they are only using valve speaker but not the lenses.

That is correct, however as I understand Valve developed the lens for the G2.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

18 hours ago, zildac said:
22 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

It'll also show you just how sharp an image we could get if graphics cards would catch up and do ridiculous resolutions. emoji6.png

Well I did just try that and it may be placebo but at 120% (application specific, 50% global res) it does seem a little better. I've got significant upgrade coming so it may be useable at those settings if the DCS VR gods are with me.

If you want to verify or not whether it's placebo - boost it up to 400%. As mentioned - it's completely unsuitable for gaming - but it will give you an idea of what sharpness your headset is capable of - if the image provided is a sharp one. 😉 

On 12/8/2020 at 12:49 AM, Icebeat said:

The thing is, The Valve's Index doesn't have this problem, the Image consistency is the same across the screen. 

That wasn't the case when I had an Index.

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

You just have it on most HMDs. Best headset in cathegorie sweetspot was Pimax 5k+ so far. There they build 5 or 6 interations of lenses. Each tooling for a new lens cost 150k$. So it is easy to safe a lot of money there.

As i know from my camera change from 6MP with good lenses and perfectly crisp sharp pictures, it was a total mess when switching to 16MP. It is a lot harder to build good lenses for 8kx/G2 than for any other HMD.

| F-16C | FC3 | TM Hotas Cougar | CH Products Pro Pedals |

Pc1: AMD 5900x, RX6800xt, 32Gb 3600 CL19, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Pc2: AMD 2700, GTX 1080ti, 32Gb 3200 CL16, MSI x370 Gaming Carbon

Samsung Odyssey, Pimax 8kx, HP G2 (incoming), Pimax 5k+ (ex), Pimax 4k (ex), Vive Pro (ex), Oculus CV1 (ex), Oculus CV1 (ex)

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/5/2020 at 7:06 PM, dburne said:

I came from first Rift CV1 to Rift S and now Reverb G2.

I find the sweet-spot to be pretty good in the G2. 

I followed the same path and find the G2 has a miserable sweet spot.  Don, in your setup do you find G2 sweet spot as good as Rift S?

4 hours ago, Mango said:

I followed the same path and find the G2 has a miserable sweet spot.  Don, in your setup do you find G2 sweet spot as good as Rift S?

Yeah can't say I notice one any worse than the other in the sweet spot arena.

Big disclaimer though - I am truly half blind, I only see left of center in my vision. So what may be more apparent to some may be a little less apparent to me when talking visuals - that is quite possible.

Don B

Some people report a large sweet spot and others a small one with the G2.  The jury is out on whether or not some of lenses are defective or there is just a lot of variance in them.  It is starting to sound like the different experiences that people have with the headset have a lot to do with head shape and how their eyes line up with the lenses. 

All headsets have some amount of sharpness fall off and barrel distortion.  I think it is more noticeable in the g2 because the center is so razor sharp that the difference between the center and the edges is more dramatic than other headsets.  With other headsets you may not notice the image going from slightly blurry to more blurry.

Not super sampling and setting the panel resolution to "50%" in streamVR really exaggerates this effect.  Being able to properly super sample helps broaden the sweet spot.  Even if you can't go up to a full 100%, I saw a big improvement at 80% if your system can do it.

Coming from the CV1 I honestly can't see any negatives to the G2, yes I have twice now lost tracking with the controllers however that isn't a deal breaker Half Life Alyx is incredible.

I can see the blurry edge, however I believe this was always there thanks to how the Fresnel lenses, the difference here is that thanks to the quite frankly impressive clarity and effective removal of the SDE it has become pronounced.

I play Half Life Alyx at 80% SS and DCS at 55%, in both these scenarios thanks to my under powered PC, and I have decent eyesight and I can say that any blurriness is a non issue.

Hopefully HP releases some new faceplates that conform to more peoples face types as this seems to be a factor.

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit