HP Reverb G2 Stuttering

Terry

I ordered a G2 in July and it arrived a couple of days ago. I already have a Valve Index and am really happy with the performance, very smooth and fluid. The only thing that could be better was the image resolution which is why I ordered the G2. 

I disconnected the Index and connected the G2, installed relevant software and started DCS. The image is crystal clear and very sharp. I dialled down the settings a bit to maintain similar GPU load and 45 fps owing to more pixels.

Problem is if I look sideways out of the cockpit in any plane the image stutters and I'm getting ghosting and double images. Looking forwards is ok. It's almost like image smoothing is off but  I've tried both ways and it doesn't make any difference. I turned everything down to negate any FPS issues and it's the same. Also, the opening screen / menu flickers like mad when loading. Is anyone else experiencing this or do I need to keep adjusting settings. I've already followed the guides in this forum from other helpful members.

I was almost putting the G2 back in the box and returning it until I tried X-Plane 11. No issues whatsoever, smooth as silk and brilliant clarity. 

I'm running an 8700K at 5GHz atm with 32Gb Ram and an MSI 3900 Gaming Trio.

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

The menu flickering is a WMR for SteamVR issue with DCS, so you're definitely not alone there.  When you have your FPS counter displayed, is it showing a solid 45 FPS, or does the number fluctuate up and down?  If its not locked at a solid 45 FPS, then WMR for Steam VR motion reprojection isn't turned on.  Also, for some reason, the default SteamVR supersampling number for the G2 is 150%, which results in a ridiculous rendered resolution.  Right now, you have to set the supersampling to about 50% to get a rendered resolution that is around the native resolution of the G2.  That will very likely change with subsequent SteamVR updates.  Aside from that, DCS is just not a great performer in VR like other titles are, so your other sim may be doing just fine with the higher supersampling.

• Like 1

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thanks for helping eaglecash867. I'll have to investigate WMR for Steam VR motion reprojection as the FPS goes up and down between 90 and 45. I have the standalone DCS but have added it to SteamVR. Within SteamVR settings I definitely have motion smoothing enabled for DCS within per-application video settings. Is there somewhere else I need to activate it?

Win 11, 12900K, 32Gb RAM, MSI Gaming Trio X 3090,  Varjo Aero, TM Warthog, PointCtrl, ViaComPro, Tactile Inducers, Next Level Racing Motion Platform.

I'm having same issues (G2), my GPU frame times are fairly high as I have a 1080ti but staying above 45fps doesn't really fix it. Also aileron rolls higher are blurred in an unatural way. Rift s handled this much better. 

I am also seeing the draw distances of objects differently in each eye. This is very off-putting and as I lowered my draw distance to help with fps it's more noticeable. I may well go back to my rift s. The visuals aren't as good, but the experience seems to be much better all round. Think this might be as oculus is supported natively. 

Hi Hoirtel, yes, I'm seeing different draw distances in each eye as well which makes my eyes feel a bit weird. I thought it might be because I can see smaller objects in the distance now so it's more pronounced.

Terry,

Here is a link that explains getting motion reprojection turned on, and does it much better than I would be able to here.  The "motion smoothing" setting you're seeing isn't the same as motion reprojection for WMR headsets.  So, this microsoft link goes into that.  The video at the bottom of that page shows you the easiest way to enable it.  I've gotten used to enabling it the old fashioned way of manually editing the config file, but the way they show in the video is easier for a lot of people.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Hi there Terry,

I've been noticing rather a lot of stuttering with my G2 also, almost to the point where it was unplayable at times. Having read through this thread, I tried the suggested (motion reprojection) & I have noticed a significant improvement. So thank you to everyone for the answers!

I'm new to VR (the G2 is the first one that I've owned) so I'm a complete novice in the scheme of things. But I'd say that turning on the motion reprojection has drastically reduced the amount of stuttering that I'm getting during gameplay. However, I will say that there's still noticeable stuttering on the loading screen which is a little unpleasant I must say. All in all though, I'm happy with the improvement. I'll keep following the thread for any further adjustments 🙂

Thanks again guys! 😄

I only have framerate issues with the new Syria Map, and not constantly.  I'm hoping that the Syria map will get more tuning.

Edited by Rocky49
spelling

System:Motherboard Asus ROG Strix Z390-E,Asus ROG GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC, GPU, 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 Ram, Intel i9 9900K @ 5 GHz , cooled by NZXT Kraken X52, Acer XB270HU G-Sinc monitor, Windows 10 Pro, Warthog joystick and throttle with wasy extension, VBK Gunfighter Pro and MCG Pro,MFG Rudder, running on a dedicated 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M2 Nvme , Super Wheel Stand Pro, with a HP Reverb G2

Hi Eaglecash867 and everyone else that helped, all sorted now. Coming from the Index, I assumed that the SteamVR motion smoothing check box enabled motion smoothing in WMR as well but as you pointed out it doesn't. I've enabled it properly now and it's as smooth as silk again so the G2 has a reprieve. Thanks again. 

Edited by Terry

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my G2 today and I'm glad I found this tread. The flickering in DCS was giving me motion sickness. After changing some of the settings suggested above I was able to tame it. It's not completely gone but it's much better. I have a 10900K and 3080 so I figured I can run DCS in almost any settings, but I still need to dual things down slightly. When I use my monitor and trackir everything set to max and usually get over 144FPS.

Hi Guys

I had exactly the same problems as you have described above with my new HP Reverb G2 when playing DCS. It was very frustrating since my PC specs are very decent (i9-10900K, NVIDIA 3080, 32GB RAM) and while playing I had a very significant amount of stutter all around the place to the point of the game not being playable. Well, not without a plastic bag on the side ready for an "accident". 

After spending a good number of hours checking various potential solution (like the motion smoothing in this series by eaglecash867) and  after contacting the SteamVR team, I managed to get to a point where it is possible to use my Reverb G2. Please see the suggested solutions I got from SteamVR below.

I have the feeling that playing DCS with the G2 is not at its optimum at the moment, and it won't be solved until someone (Eagle Dynamics, or Steam) develop some significant improvements, but at least the game is playable. A bit frustrating not to have it at its full potential, but better than feeling totally sick due to stutter.

The Steam VR suggestions:

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out and bringing this to our attention.

Sorry to learn about the difficulties you've experienced with your Reverb and SteamVR.  

After the recent detection issues are you still able to launch the Windows Mixed Reality portal and have it detect your headset without issue?

To begin troubleshooting, please opt into both the SteamVR and Steam Client Beta.

·         To opt into Steam Client Beta, open the Steam Client and go to "Steam" > "Settings" > "Account" and enable Beta participation.

·         To opt into SteamVR Beta, find Steam VR in your Library, right-click and select "Properties" > "BETAS" tab and select SteamVR Beta.

You should also opt into the LKG Beta for Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR. You can do this the same you would for SteamVR. Right-click in library "Properties > "BETAS" > enable Beta LKG Build.

After completely opting into all the Beta builds, go ahead and retest the issue.

If the issue continues, try resetting and re-installing SteamVR USB devices:

1.     From SteamVR, choose "developer" then select the "developer settings" tab.

2.     Then, choose "Remove all SteamVR USB devices." Unplug your headset from your PC, then restart your computer.

3.     Once rebooted, reconnect the headset to your PC. USB devices will begin to install. Please be patient, it may take several minutes.

And then, the one that helped the most was:

Hello John, 

Thanks for following up with us. 

Resetting your graphics drivers may help. Please use Display Driver Uninstaller to fully remove the graphics card drivers from your system.

Display Driver Uninstaller is a free utility that will remove any old or corrupt driver records which can cause devices to misbehave. You can download this software 
here.

After this, please re-install the most recent driver available for your device and re-test the original issue.

Let us know how things go. Attach an updated SteamVR report with your response if you continue to have display issues with your headset. 

With the DDU link being: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu

There are plenty of disclaimers in the DDU, so please read them carefully and do follow the instructions carefully. There are plenty of instructions that you need to read first before using the application so read, and take print screen photos of the instructions.

I am not sure exactly what of all of the above made the trick, but in the end now I can play DCS with the G2. With still a bit of disappointment though, but I do not need the plastic bag anymore.

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2020 at 9:41 AM, Hoirtel said:

I am also seeing the draw distances of objects differently in each eye. This is very off-putting and as I lowered my draw distance to help with fps it's more noticeable. I may well go back to my rift s. The visuals aren't as good, but the experience seems to be much better all round. Think this might be as oculus is supported natively. 

Also seeing different render distances in each eye in my new G2 - very off-putting as you say. Is very noticeable with trees and some scenery/hills. It means they sort of appear to be ghosting and just appear 'wrong'.

Any ideas what is causing this - how to solve?

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

13 hours ago, VampireNZ said:

Also seeing different render distances in each eye in my new G2 - very off-putting as you say. Is very noticeable with trees and some scenery/hills. It means they sort of appear to be ghosting and just appear 'wrong'.

Any ideas what is causing this - how to solve?

Try this. Sorted it for me but then I'm sure a very recent update fixed it anyway.