Limited action under G and display stamina bar for the pilot and hear more different sounds of pilot breath and painful

Phil C6

Hi, today i played and talked with a real former fighter pilot, he explained me than it's not possible in real life to do 7G sustain for almost all a dogfight

Taking Gs is painful
So maybe it could be great if ED simulates and display an energy bar (and hear some different sounds) of the pilot (you know like the life bars in the combat games) with a blocking on the number of G that he can take according to the exhaustion by ex if the stamina bar display 50% it can take max 5G

There might be an additional option such as:
Everyone would have the same basic pilot (a fairly strong pilot, able to support 360° at 9G maybe more without having a glider) but depending on the number of G's he took in a week he would gain or lose in G resistance/endurance.
In real life after an interruption in his training (e.g. after returning from vacation) it would seem that the drivers lose some of their ability to resist the G's, so the game would record the player's activity:
If the player doesn't play for a week he would lose endurance, even if he does actions with few G's for a short time (e.g. ground air) he would have less endurance than a pilot who does a lot of Dogfight at low altitude.

PS: these 2 ideas must be 2 different options we could enable or disable (as the realistic G option)

This is a first idea that could be debated / modified to find a nice way to simulate at best and realistically the physical ability (endurance) of a pilot to fight under load factor.

Best regards

• Like 1

Maybe as indicator a +/- light reduce of FOV by a light gray Out (just peripheral) should be better than stamina bar?
PS: If the pilot relax G he must be able to rebuild stamina

Best regards

Edited by Phil C6

Oh I agree.. But not subjects to players activity. BUT you start each flight with a fresh optimal conditioned pilot, But in the same flight you loose endurance.

You start pulling Gs like mad, in 2 minutes or so you cant pull more than 4 or 5 G´s...

So it would make it realistic And the pilot needs to decide when to pull maximum G´s tactically, not just turn and burn 7 to 9 Gs constantly for 30 minutes as it is now...  

SO in short: Every flight you should be able to pull a limited amount of time over 8 or 9 Gs, and then be limited to just 4 or 5 at best once you are exhausted. 

G simulation could use a bit of a tune-up, but when you're fighting for your life, "painful" doesn't really enter the equation. Fatigue should be a thing, but it should not be a hard cap for total time you can spend at high Gs. There are also such things as G onset, where you can take more Gs when you're applying them gradually. It should be less of a factor in the fight itself, and more of a factor when deciding whether you're able to commit to another one.

For a good way of doing that, see the other WWII sim. They've recently-ish done some work on pilot physiology and G simulation. 

Other than grey out and tunnel vision preceding G loc, only thing i would suggest would be the fact that, you practically can't move your head at 7.5 Gs +. (I know this reality will chap the ass of many gamers as it wont allow you to pull unlimited Gs while throwing your head around no problem)

The technique most commonly used when pulling hi Gs is, to "anchor" your head somewhere on the head box where you believe will give you the best field of view *prior* to G onset. Then pull hoping you didn't misjudge such that you have to unload and reposition your head to regain sight.

As far as game implementation, simply reduce field of view panning speed as G increases. Say, reduced movement starting at 6.0 untill frozen at 8+.

Remember, average humans head is aprox 10 lbs, then add at least 5 lbs in gear, 15 lbs at 7.5+Gs = 112.5 lbs being held up by your neck. Thats two 45lbs gym barbell plates strapped to your head. Think about it. I have two herneated disks in my neck with nerve damage from exactly this, the joys of pulling Gs in reality.

Edited by Lex Talionis
  • Like 3

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

That, and it probably shouldn't be possible to actuate any non-HOTAS controls, either. 🙂 While you probably won't be fiddling around with your mouse while pulling Gs, it's perfectly possible to bind to HOTAS buttons some switches that aren't there IRL. It's a minor thing, but it'd be good for immersion.

One issue for restricting head movement is VR, though. It should probably be made optional with this in mind, for some people the view lagging behind their actual head position could be nauseating. 

Edited by Dragon1-1