VR Help - how to use it well with M2000C

spacefox

Hey guys,

Can you give some guidance on how to use this bird effectively in VR.  I have Rift-S it is just that some things are little blurry to see on some of these small switches and all.  I am having to VR Zoom all the time.

I read on some previous post that there is VR body.  I do have it enabled in the settings but I am in the latest beta.  So no idea on what is going as I didn't the body in VR.  

I am just concerned about reading the switches and what not.  

How do you guys use it VR?

I really want to do baltic-dragon's tutorials and then move into all their campaigns created by them for this.

Thank You

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

Hi, I’m also using the Rift S at the moment.

It’s true some writings are small, but it’s even worse on MiG-21Bis 😅

Overall, the cockpit is quite simple with few switches. Take the time to study the cockpit in the manual and then on screen.

Knowing the cockpit does help a lot.

If you can afford it with your hardware, set PD 1.0 in DCS, and Super Sampling between 1.3 and 1.5 in DebugTool. Google it, it’s installed by default with Oculus software.

With these settings, I rarely need to zoom to read the switches.

I also removed the rubber nose flaps, so I can see the keyboard by looking down around my nose.

To get the pilot you need to use “Shift + P” to toggle it on/ off.

I would say you don’t want it for start up, but once you start taxiing or flying it’s ok.

From my point of view, the default head position is too far aft. When I look back or the side, I feel like I have the head inside ejection seat. Shoulders aren’t aligned with my real shoulders and so on.

So I shift the head back looking forward, I hit “VR centre” on my stick, and it’s perfect (it’s with the others VR zoom commands).

Have fun 😉

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

5 hours ago, jojo said:

Hi, I’m also using the Rift S at the moment.

It’s true some writings are small, but it’s even worse on MiG-21Bis 😅

Overall, the cockpit is quite simple with few switches. Take the time to study the cockpit in the manual and then on screen.

Knowing the cockpit does help a lot.

If you can afford it with your hardware, set PD 1.0 in DCS, and Super Sampling between 1.3 and 1.5 in DebugTool. Google it, it’s installed by default with Oculus software.

With these settings, I rarely need to zoom to read the switches.

I also removed the rubber nose flaps, so I can see the keyboard by looking down around my nose.

To get the pilot you need to use “Shift + P” to toggle it on/ off.

I would say you don’t want it for start up, but once you start taxiing or flying it’s ok.

From my point of view, the default head position is too far aft. When I look back or the side, I feel like I have the head inside ejection seat. Shoulders aren’t aligned with my real shoulders and so on.

So I shift the head back looking forward, I hit “VR centre” on my stick, and it’s perfect (it’s with the others VR zoom commands).

Have fun 😉

Great tips.  Thank You.  I will do as suggested.

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, flameoutme said:

Definitely check out the helmet mounted display, I think its called VTB.  It is in the key binds.  When activated, it puts a large yet not too intrusive copy of the radar in your helmet  display area. It makes VR so much easier to use.

Well, VTB means Head Down Display.

This feature in game is to export the radar display on another screen.

There is no HMD on Mirage 2000C.

So you can do it, but it's detracting from the experience of flying a 1980'-1990' Fox 1 fighter.

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

2 hours ago, jojo said:

Well, VTB means Head Down Display.

This feature in game is to export the radar display on another screen.

There is no HMD on Mirage 2000C.

So you can do it, but it's detracting from the experience of flying a 1980'-1990' Fox 1 fighter.

Thanks for the clarification, 'appreciate it.  Even if it's a hit to immersion, until I can see the radar screen better certain compromises are needed. Once the VR that I use (index, but limited by a 1080 card) can show the regular radar screen clearly, I'll happily use that. The VTB really made a difference in eye comfort, plus immersion. Maybe not exactly reality, but immersion as in able to enjoy the game with less eye strain.

Edited by flameoutme

In DCS World graphical setting try to set MFD Resolution to 1024.

Then DebugTool Super Sampling to 1.5 and MSAA x2 should allow you to read VTB just fine if you look at it.

Your hardware should allow that.

Just looking at it by lowering the eyes won't make it because you would be out of lenses sweet spot.

But yeah, sure, if it doesn't cut it for you, use VTB export.

Mirage fanatic !

On 12/13/2020 at 2:56 PM, flameoutme said:

Thanks for the clarification, 'appreciate it.  Even if it's a hit to immersion, until I can see the radar screen better certain compromises are needed. Once the VR that I use (index, but limited by a 1080 card) can show the regular radar screen clearly, I'll happily use that. The VTB really made a difference in eye comfort, plus immersion. Maybe not exactly reality, but immersion as in able to enjoy the game with less eye strain.

You can use a zoom key in VR: UI Layer > Toggle VR Zoom. I used it with the Oculus CV1 it helps a lot to read the cockpit.

controls-1.jpg

• Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.