OH-58D Kiowa Throttle axis range below idle detent?

HipoxiK

Hi Polychop,

Are you going to model the throttle axis to go below the idle detent so that users can use physical detents on realistic collective/throttles, maybe using custom axis curves to adjust the position.

The DCS UH-1h Huey doesn't allow the throttle axis to go below the idle stop detent which means you have to use keys or the mouse to shut the acft down or do proper start ups breaking immersion.

Cheers

The trouble with your request to allow the throttle axis to go below the idle detent is that 99% of users won't have a throttle axis with a physical idle stop i.e. they'll have a risk of accidently shutting down the engine, when using the throttle to regulate RPM (with FADEC disabled).

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

4 hours ago, Ramsay said:

The trouble with your request to allow the throttle axis to go below the idle detent is that 99% of users won't have a throttle axis with a physical idle stop i.e. they'll have a risk of accidently shutting down the engine, when using the throttle to regulate RPM (with FADEC disabled).

Hello everyone,

in my opinion HipoxiK is right. Something like this is absolutely nedded.
I do not know much about programming but there should be the posibility  to add such a feature for people like me as well as for others, that are using SimPits with idle stop capabilites.
 I assume that those are quite more than just 1% with an increasing number due to progress in available sim controls in the not too distant future.

Cheers!

My System: Full Scale Huey SimPit

-Pit Computer: i7-12700K | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Pro | 64GB DDR5 RAM | Nvidia RTX3090FE | Kingston KC3000 NVme

- All day use: i7-4790K | 32GB DDR4 RAM | ASRock Z97 Killer | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP! | Oculus Rift | Pimax8KX | Sensoryx VRFree Gloves | X-TAL VR

Picture2.thumb.png.266096621ecdc3cfee82bc86a1b3ab76.png

It may not be that hard to model in a Kiowa. You can't just roll the throttle below idle, you have to push the button just above the throttle to roll the throttle past idle to off. Add an option to push that button and and if you want to shut it off you pull your hotas throttle all the way back and push the button or while pushing the button.

6 hours ago, Ramsay said:

This is true. Maybe there could be 2 throttle axis options that users could choose from depending on the peripherals you have at home. 

59 minutes ago, Coota0 said:

Picture2.thumb.png.266096621ecdc3cfee82bc86a1b3ab76.png

It may not be that hard to model in a Kiowa. You can't just roll the throttle below idle, you have to push the button just above the throttle to roll the throttle past idle to off. Add an option to push that button and and if you want to shut it off you pull your hotas throttle all the way back and push the button or while pushing the button.

Another good option. This would also work with the Huey. 

13 hours ago, HipoxiK said:

Hi Polychop,

Are you going to model the throttle axis to go below the idle detent so that users can use physical detents on realistic collective/throttles, maybe using custom axis curves to adjust the position.

The DCS UH-1h Huey doesn't allow the throttle axis to go below the idle stop detent which means you have to use keys or the mouse to shut the acft down or do proper start ups breaking immersion.

Cheers

Is this with an analogue throttle?

Digitally, I do it with my thrustmaster and it works superbly so you must mean a twist analogue throttle on your collective...?

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

11 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

Is this with an analogue throttle?

Digitally, I do it with my thrustmaster and it works superbly so you must mean a twist analogue throttle on your collective...?

Yes exactly. I have a twist throttle on my custom collective with an idle stop detent but I can’t use it on the Huey and was hoping the Kiowa module will cater for this. 

It's not a true fix but have you considered using something like JoyToKey to make your twist throttle emulate DCS's throttle up/down buttons? That would at least let you use the throttle idle position and stop in a reasonably consistent manner.

Edited by jym

On 12/6/2020 at 4:07 AM, jym said:

It's not a true fix but have you considered using something like JoyToKey to make your twist throttle emulate DCS's throttle up/down buttons? That would at least let you use the throttle idle position and stop in a reasonably consistent manner.

No as I'd rather keep the axis of the throttle instead of it emulating key strokes.