TGP handoff to AGM-65G is off in T phase

Angelo

After cold startup, INS aligned correctly with initial position set and alignment down to 6 for enhanced precision, when I handoff my target, the point where the MAV is aiming is off by a lot. Why is this happening? You can see it's at T phase in the handoff.

20201205195001_1.thumb.jpg.1f62c46596b470c0a2b26ce7d6925f26.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I have boresighted the missiles as described above.  The first missile will continue to "C", but the following missiles (and yes, I boresighted both stations) stop at T and won't fire.  What am I missing?  Here are my steps:

1) Hot start on ramp.   Choose PRE one Mavs power up.

2) Boresight missiles (AGM-65D) from both stations on nearby aircraft.

3) Takeoff and boresight missiles AGAIN on a ground target.

4) Make TGP SOI, wait until within maverick LAR.

5) TMS Fwd to point track.  Maverick screen shows "HANDOFF IN PROGRESS", eventually ending with a "C" over the station number.  

6) Fire missile, tank goes kaboom.

7) Choose new target.  Again wait until within LAR, TMS Fwd.... and only a T above the station number.

Any ideas?

18 minutes ago, Frederf said:

That's a dead tank

True, but shouldn't the Mav seeker be able to lock onto the contrast? I guess ED have modeled it to only recognize live targets? 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

In reply to USAF-Falcon87

I usually SOI the WPN page once TGP is on the targets, and directly slew the missile head to the target. Works faster imho. If you want to use the auto handoff I suggest TMS down followed with TMS up to force a handoff.

Just tested it. When first AGM away, TMS down. Slew to next target and TMS up. This will initiate a new handoff. Just spamming the TMS up without TMS down first will do nothing.

edit: spelling and addition

Edited by Sinclair_76

14 hours ago, Machalot said:

True, but shouldn't the Mav seeker be able to lock onto the contrast? I guess ED have modeled it to only recognize live targets? 

A real one yeah but in-sim a dead entity is a non-entity.

8 hours ago, Sinclair_76 said:

In reply to USAF-Falcon87

I usually SOI the WPN page once TGP is on the targets, and directly slew the missile head to the target. Works faster imho. If you want to use the auto handoff I suggest TMS down followed with TMS up to force a handoff.

Just tested it. When first AGM away, TMS down. Slew to next target and TMS up. This will initiate a new handoff. Just spamming the TMS up without TMS down first will do nothing.

edit: spelling and addition

In reality the handoff only attempts when you release TMS forward so you would simply press TMS forward again and again. DCS continually attempting new handoffs every time you stop slewing in point track is not right. Instead of TMS aft I suggest TMS right/ TMS forward to cycle the handoff attempts until it's fixed. TMS right commands area track.

If you boresight one pylon then step to the next pylon you can TMS right to re-handoff the target on the TGP to the new pylon.

This also works if you TMS up on the TGP whilst the MAV is out of range (further than 7-8NM typically but depends on height).

The MAV will have wide crosshairs and not lock up.  Once in range TMS right will resend the handoff without having to TMS down to break lock.

On initial press (or after a TMS down) TMS right will give area track on the TGP. If already locked in point track (and have MAVS selected) TMS right resends handoff.

• 9 months later...
On 12/31/2020 at 6:46 AM, USAF-Falcon87 said:

OK, I have boresighted the missiles as described above.  The first missile will continue to "C", but the following missiles (and yes, I boresighted both stations) stop at T and won't fire.  What am I missing?  Here are my steps:

1) Hot start on ramp.   Choose PRE one Mavs power up.

2) Boresight missiles (AGM-65D) from both stations on nearby aircraft.

3) Takeoff and boresight missiles AGAIN on a ground target.

4) Make TGP SOI, wait until within maverick LAR.

5) TMS Fwd to point track.  Maverick screen shows "HANDOFF IN PROGRESS", eventually ending with a "C" over the station number.  

6) Fire missile, tank goes kaboom.

7) Choose new target.  Again wait until within LAR, TMS Fwd.... and only a T above the station number.

Any ideas?

Do not need to do hand-off,  follow my way to make it easier for some kind of Maverick missile, i did it with D, H and K versions:

- Turn on left/ right pylon, enable A-G mode,  power on all kind of Maverick on SMS inventory page

1. On WPN page of Maverick, make it SOI, change to VIS mode

2. Move Mav seeker crosshair to the range under 8 mi, TMS Fwd to boresight (BSGT) first to lock at any point on the ground under 8 mi from your plane. 

3. On TGP page, make it SOI, set MAN mode, close zoom in target you need under 8 mi and press TMS Fwd to point track on target. 

4. Back to WPN screen, TMS Down ( only 1 time, avoid double press)  to unlock/ un-boresight previous point locked and automatically moving Mav seeker to the point that TGP tracking. 

5. TMS Up to boresight (BGST)  target then release Maverick. Before this step, you can change BW/WB image on WPN page to AREA mode to avoid Maverick lock auto jump on another target. 

You do not need to handoff but you can easily to shoot down target you want, same as Pre/auto handoff procedure

Edited by Majesco

10 hours ago, Majesco said:

Do not need to do hand-off,  follow my way to make it easier for some kind of Maverick missile, i did it with D, H and K versions:

- Turn on left/ right pylon, enable A-G mode,  power on all kind of Maverick on SMS inventory page

1. On WPN page of Maverick, make it SOI, change to VIS mode

2. Move Mav seeker crosshair to the range under 8 mi, TMS Fwd to boresight (BSGT) first to lock at any point on the ground under 8 mi from your plane. 

3. On TGP page, make it SOI, set MAN mode, close zoom in target you need under 8 mi and press TMS Fwd to point track on target. 

4. Back to WPN screen, TMS Down ( only 1 time, avoid double press)  to unlock/ un-boresight previous point locked and automatically moving Mav seeker to the point that TGP tracking. 

5. TMS Up to boresight (BGST)  target then release Maverick. Before this step, you can change BW/WB image on WPN page to AREA mode to avoid Maverick lock auto jump on another target. 

You do not need to handoff but you can easily to shoot down target you want, same as Pre/auto handoff 

This makes no sense at all. If you have a target locked already, save yourself some time fiddling around with the TGP and fire.

Also, with TMS forward in the Maverick display, you are not boresighting. Those are 2 different things. 

The reason for TGP handoff is that the camera from the TGP has far better zoom and quality than the Maverick. So searching for and recognizing targets is far better with the TGP and can be done further out. The procedure you are describing completely neglates this.  

Edited by Falconeer

Planes:                                      Choppers:                                       Maps:

• Flaming Cliffs 3                      Black Shark 2                                 Syria
  • A-10C Tank killer 2                Black Shark 3                                 Persian Gulf
  • F/A18C Hornet                       AH-64 Apache                               Mariana's
  • F-16C Viper   
  • F-15E Strike Eagle                   
  • Mirage 2000C
  • AJS-37 Viggen
  • JF-17 Thunder
  • F-14 Tomcat

13 hours ago, Falconeer said:

This makes no sense at all. If you have a target locked already, save yourself some time fiddling around with the TGP and fire.

Also, with TMS forward in the Maverick display, you are not boresighting. Those are 2 different things. 

The reason for TGP handoff is that the camera from the TGP has far better zoom and quality than the Maverick. So searching for and recognizing targets is far better with the TGP and can be done further out. The procedure you are describing completely neglates this.  

I think what i described above as same as TGP hand-off procedure, maybe manually handoff. 

Boresight Mav WPN first to make the seeker stability at any point in close range, then I use TPG camera for searching and lock on any target i want because TGP has much better zoom in scale

TMS Down is only to make Mav seeker automatically move back to what the TGP having lock on, next step is BSGT Mav second time to release weapon

12 hours ago, Majesco said:

next step is BSGT Mav second time to release weapon

I think you might be misunderstanding  what BSGT means.

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.