Rollback to old DM

wowbagger

If we don't have a fix for the new DM stutter ready to go for the  Dec 16th patch, can we roll back to the previous DM please? I'm all for giving the developers the time needed to implement the new damage model and I appreciate any improvements to the game, but I would prefer that we recognize that it isn't working at the moment and have a game that is playable in the interim.

I generally like the new monthly patch cycle, and the more deliberate and comprehensive approach to bug squashing and  improvements it allows, however when a game breaking bug is introduced, I think we should be more amenable to a quick patch which rolls back to a working condition rather than wait for weeks for another patch which may or may not solve the problem. After all, we players have purchased the game more to play it than to develop it.

Cheers

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Because that doesn't solve anything or help anyone. Is there an advantage to leaving the warbirds in its stuttery state? Why is any comment on the open.beta (which frankly is not really a beta) always  met with "switch to stable, beta is clearly not for you"? Hopefully the Tomcat will have fixes and a campaign on the 16th - should I miss out on those too?

I'm not criticizing the developers nor complaining, just suggesting  an interim solution to make warbirds flyable again until the new DM is working well. Did this bug show up in multiplayer testing?

Are YOU enjoying the current state?

Sorry if that comes across as petulant, but I find your reply neither constructive nor particularly genial. 

Edited by wowbagger

Keep in mind the devs pretty much admitted some time ago that they don't have resources to locate and report most of the bugs internally and thus they do rely heavily on open beta testing in their business. So yes, if the scale of stuttering issue slipped through internal testers with their HC configs, it was our "job" to discover it, report as much about it as possible and just deal with it whether we wanted it or not. And it's still our job to check if further fixes and optimisations of DM will improve the situation. The advantage is there - helping squashing the bugs indirectly.

So, in my opinion, it's the reverting back to old DM, that would actually be a move which "doesn't solve anything or help anyone" - it would only postpone hitting the same issue again one or two months later.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Yes, agreed. I'm not complaining about using the open beta to find the bugs (and not looking for anyone's opinion on what I should do). But I'm under the impression that there is already a pretty good idea about loading the damage graphics causing the stutter. If they need more people to keep playing and submitting posts about it, that's fine. And if there is something new they want to try with the next patch, that's great too. I've always been happy to help by posting whatever bugs I find in DCS.

But if the DM now needs to be tweaked and baked for some more months before the developers are ready to patch it again, it makes more sense to me to make the game playable. I've stopped playing warbirds because of the stutter. Players switching to jets or other WWII options doesn't add to the knowledge base either. Hopefully a solution to the stutter won't be too hard in solving or too long in coming.

I do agree "stutter" can be an issue, and I can relate; however, I am not experiencing, especially with WWII birds.

I do experience stutter on the Syria map, even more so with modern birds, less so with WWII birds.

I also experience stutter and frame rate drops on Syria (haven't tested other modern birds) when I engage the TGP - which is new, it never caused this before.

But - I have either logged a bug report, bot tagged onto someone else's feed who has. I know, it is frustrating, but my view on it is - this is OB, and when it is fixed, it is fixed. Unless of course it is game breaking but I don't consider the ups and downs of OB that we get (Stutter, frame rate loss, ME path issues, visual bugs) as game breaking.

The new DM is fantastic, I don't experience stutter, or at least I haven't noticed it.  Your best bet would be to attach a track file, submit, and see if anyone here, or the devs can replicate.

Edited by SmirkingGerbil

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Oh, I was under the impression that it was a known issue and that everyone was suffering from the stutter - which lead me to believe that the new DM simply wasn't ready for release. For me it is game breaking. If that's not the case, then it changes things for sure. There had been a number of threads talking about it, but they don't seem to have survived the forum changeover for some reason.

Thanks for your reply. It's good to have others feedback about the actual game, rather than the tired "you're wrong, you're the problem, get good" argumentum ad hominem which are all too common on this forum.

Cheers

I just bought a few WWII modules to get into it, only to realize I guess my setup can't handle it. (6700K, 32gb 4000mhz ram, 1080Ti.. specs are far from being a slouch)

even on an empty mission except myself against say a B17 if anyone takes any amount of damage I lose all frames; it returns, but each individual hit, my FPS drops to 0 for half a second or more at times.

I don't understand what it is though; watching a Growling Sidewinder video and he has zero issues.

Watched a video from Nineline more recently and he had no issues; but his older tests he'd get the massive stutters as well.

I don't get it, but it's absolutely unplayable in its current state for me, beyond just flying around.

Edited by XCNuse

2 hours ago, XCNuse said:

I just bought a few WWII modules to get into it, only to realize I guess my setup can't handle it. (6700K, 32gb 4000mhz ram, 1080Ti.. specs are far from being a slouch)

even on an empty mission except myself against say a B17 if anyone takes any amount of damage I lose all frames; it returns, but each individual hit, my FPS drops to 0 for half a second or more at times.

I don't understand what it is though; watching a Growling Sidewinder video and he has zero issues.

Watched a video from Nineline more recently and he had no issues; but his older tests he'd get the massive stutters as well.

I don't get it, but it's absolutely unplayable in its current state for me, beyond just flying around.

Any chance you have wake turbulence turned on in your realism settings? That kills fps if you get say behind the B-17 and it lasts for minutes for me after passing behind one. 

The DM stutters happen to me only in single player but it is a split second without any lasting effect. And like you say, it‘s not like you have a bad graphics card. The other thing I get is sometimes when a heavily damaged aircraft is about to crash into a forrest it stutters for some 2-3 seconds but then all is good. 

2 hours ago, JHAT said:

Any chance you have wake turbulence turned on in your realism settings? That kills fps if you get say behind the B-17 and it lasts for minutes for me after passing behind one.

Yeah I have it enabled but; it can be me being shot at and the frame drops are equally as bad, it seems to not matter what gets hit, if it's anywhere around my computer comes to a complete stall for each hit.

It's kept me from checking out multiplayer because I assumed it was just as bad.

12 hours ago, XCNuse said:

I guess my setup can't handle it. (6700K, 32gb 4000mhz ram, 1080Ti.. specs are far from being a slouch)

Your RAM and graphics card are good. CPU is a little old though. What storage are you running on?

I run a 1070ti at 1440p and that's perfectly good with pretty high graphics settings. But my CPU is fairly new although I have a 7700k @ 4.5GHz before that which was also fine.

PC specs:

13 hours ago, XCNuse said:

Are you hosting a multiplayer mission and flying on the same machine?
Your hardware is certainly good enough.

Try joining a multiplayer mission that someone else is hosting, that way their CPU is doing most of the mission-related calcs.

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/