MiG-23 really?

Harlikwin

On 5/12/2022 at 7:37 AM, Harlikwin said:

Yeah, well people will be in for a surprise. That book laid a very very low bar for the flogger, because what they had were literally the worst versions of it (and it still accelerated like a bat out of hell). But the MLA being 2nd gen flogger had more thrust, less weight, much better aero refinements, and a decently capable radar. Basically if you want a taste of it, go grab the mi29A, load it up with R27r, and R60m and goto town... it should be about like that minus some turn rate, and with better acceleration.

I haven't read the book myself (it's on my list now) but as far as I read in my 2 minutes of google searching, the 4477th had 23ML's in the post Cold War era or sold from East Germany which are the same 3rd gen floggers as the MLA with the exception of having worse radars or something along those lines. I couldn't find any info regarding if the unit tested those VS western aircraft or not

Edited by Dorper

On 6/10/2022 at 1:22 AM, Dorper said:

I haven't read the book myself (it's on my list now) but as far as I read in my 2 minutes of google searching, the 4477th had 23ML's in the post Cold War era or sold from East Germany which are the same 3rd gen floggers as the MLA with the exception of having worse radars or something along those lines. I couldn't find any info regarding if the unit tested those VS western aircraft or not

From my recollection of the book, at least during the cold war they only had MF's, which were literally the worst floggers ever built. If they got stuff post CW thats interesting, but not really applicable to CW discussions. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

37 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

during the cold war they only had MF's, which were literally the worst floggers ever built.

Think you meant "MS", which indeed was basically a MiG-21 cosplaying as a MiG-23 and was a third world country export product. The MF was just the WP nations version of the soviet own -23M.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 7:44 PM, Harlikwin said:

From my recollection of the book, at least during the cold war they only had MF's, which were literally the worst floggers ever built. If they got stuff post CW thats interesting, but not really applicable to CW discussions. 

not even MF, MS;
MF was actually capable of fighter manoeuvres.
MS was like... yeah...

On 6/10/2022 at 9:22 AM, Dorper said:

And no, german ML's were technically MLA. Just IFF difference. N003E radar instead of N003.

• 7 months later...
On 12/14/2020 at 5:27 PM, TotenDead said:

So, can we reliably deal with sparrow F-15s and Hornets in this Mig? Can we outturn F-15/16?

A pay to win legacy can make it possible!

When you can't prove something with words, let the maths do the talking.

I have an insatiable passion for helping simulated aircraft fly realistically!

Sincerely, your correct flight model simulation advisor!