Smoothtrack?

I'm using it and find it works quite well. You need to keep your phone on a charger or it will run out quickly (or at least that's my experience with my pixel 2). When I don't have it running I miss it. 

I did find it helpful to bind f1 to center view in opentrack, and to change the curves to make it easier to look behind to low left/right as that makes hitting the switches located there easier.  Also tweaking the vertical curve helps. 

It's only 10€/$ or so, so I'd suggest trying it as it is hopefully no big loss if it doesn't work well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bought and tested today on android Samsung S8+...
It works great, full 6DOF and smooth tracking... 👌👍
A little curve tweaking in OpenTrack and of you go!

For 10€ it is an amazing little app.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

...the few, the proud, the remaining...

I just bougt this and it's pretty good. My problem is that I'm on a laptop and I don't know where to put my phone. When I put it next to my laptop, slightly to the side, it messes with the tracking. Any advice please?

Also, do you adjust the OpenTrack curves or the ones in the app on your phone?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Can anybody compare it to trackir? E.g. input lag, smoothness (vs. stuttering) ans so on?

Has the Display to be on? Or does the tracking work with the screen locked?

Eventually I will try it out by myself but would be nice to know.

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 1 month later...

Hi there.

I have both a wireless TrackIR (Grass Monkey Simulations, US made, bought on Ebay) and Smoothtrack.

First of all, think of not having a window or light behind you. The IR tracking will be very difficult to work perfectly (this is quite obvious).

My experience : i use the IR tracking for weeks, and it is not perfect at all : first of all you must have a full charged battery. When your battery is at 1.45 V instead of 1.5, you will have some trouble. So i have already had to replace it 2 times. Battery life in the IR track : around 10 hours! I believe it is not for all users, unfortunaltely this is my case.

But the main problem is that i have some problems to have a stable picture : some "stuttering", and sometimes to a point that it looks like i am doing some headbanging. Some angles are very difficult to maintain. So it is difficult to observe ground units, it moves permanently, even with deadzones in the settings.

For Smoothtrack, it is very impressive. Very stable and so easy to configure. But think of that : you must have some room between your screen and your keyboard to put your smartphone (it works in lanscape or portrait). So if you want to use it on a laptop, you will have some trouble.

I must say Smoothtrack works so well, i am thinking of selling my IR track.

And finally consider the prices : 80-200 € for Track IR devices, and 10 € for Smoothtrack app.

I must confirm my opinion by playing DCS for a couple of hours, but for the moment, after trying Smoothtrack for a couple of minutes, it is just incredibly efficient.

Edited by Tabasc0

After nearly 3 hours of DCS, i must say Smoothtrack is NOT good for a simulator : it works perfectly a couple of minutes, and suddenly nothing moves anymore. You have to turn the app off and on to recover. Bug? I dont know but this is clearly NOT the solution. When it works, it is very precise. What a pity.

Always trust a TrackIR, and be patient : you'll have to tune it a lot of times considering your environment : lights (day, evening, night), interference caused by a window,...

• 2 weeks later...

could it be that the OS of your device kills background processes after a few minutes? I think iOS does that.... but I maybe wrong...

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been using SmoothTrack and opentrack for about the last six months. SmoothTrack is on my iPhone SE and I keep it plugged in to power when using for DCS. I’ve have a cheap desktop holder for it that sits just in front of my monitor. As it uses the camera you have to keep line of sight clear. Works it fairly poor light conditions, although I have a light source on a shelf above the monitor. The settings took me a while to sort, and I generally set for linear response across +/- 15 to 20 degrees of head movement. I minimise roll and vertical response since I’m sitting in a chair that shouldn’t move. Overall I’m fairly pleased with it, and the price of £10 is great. And I don’t have to wear a silly hat. 

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I am just not able to get proper setup with Smoothtrack.  Completely driving me nuts, I get some curves right but so many I don't.  I wish there was a complete detailed manual explaining everything that one needs to do.  I just can not spend hours setting it up b/c that takes away time to do anything fun in DCS. 

Please share you settings for Smoothtrack +opentrack.

What keybinds are you using for alignment etc.

I really haven't been able to use DCS....super frustrating 

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S