Landing the F-15

ny3d1

6 minutes ago, PanamaRed said:

I was bingo fuel so I could had dropped tanks, no?🤔

Thanks Nikola!

It's not good practice to drop tanks just because you do not need them anymore, but in game you can do it. 

For take off, just rotate gently at 120kts to 10 degrees pitch (the W symbol on HUD), and hold it there. It will fly itself when it's ready.

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

@=4c=Nikola is correct.  The usual climb schedule says 1/2 stick aft at 120kts for 1 second to get the nose to the 10 deg attitude and hold there.   High performance TO has you pulling to 12 deg attitude.

Obviously the 1 second rule is a rule of thumb, your heavy aircraft might not behave on point 🙂

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Just now, PanamaRed said:

Not good practice to not drop empty tanks?

Not good practice to not drop empty tanks. 

Simply, you can hit someone on ground, and there's no unlimited pile of tanks in base. Of course, if you need to drop them, you drop them, especially in combat since they are limiting your performance significantly.

• Like 1

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

The tanks cost nothing in DCS, but normally if you didn't drop them for combat you certainly would bring them back with you.  The only reason to drop them otherwise is to reduce drag because you somehow managed to run yourself low on fuel, you're not sure if you'll reach base with what you have and you need to get that aircraft as clean as possible.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

"Simply, you can hit someone on ground, and there's no unlimited pile of tanks in base." 

Ahhh....I did not know that. Ok thanks.

3 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

The tanks cost nothing in DCS, but normally if you didn't drop them for combat you certainly would bring them back with you.  The only reason to drop them otherwise is to reduce drag because you somehow managed to run yourself low on fuel, you're not sure if you'll reach base with what you have and you need to get that aircraft as clean as possible.

GOTCHA. TY.

1 hour ago, GGTharos said:

@=4c=Nikola is correct.  The usual climb schedule says 1/2 stick aft at 120kts for 1 second to get the nose to the 10 deg attitude and hold there.   High performance TO has you pulling to 12 deg attitude.

Obviously the 1 second rule is a rule of thumb, your heavy aircraft might not behave on point 🙂

Thanks guys! Taking it all in. Retaining it is the key. Once I get landing I start with other things. Navigation perhaps would be the next correct to take?

Edited by PanamaRed

Navigation is certainly important, though the instruments for it in FC3 are very limited.  It really depends on how much navigating you want to learn between switching from waypoint to waypoint.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Navigation is certainly important, though the instruments for it in FC3 are very limited.  It really depends on how much navigating you want to learn between switching from waypoint to waypoint.

Ah, I see. Then I may consider getting into the real one. I just have not decided which sports car I want to drive. I like ground pounding so I do like the A-10. But I also want to get "prolific" in a fighter. I'm a Navy vet ADJ and wish DCS offered the F-4 which is what I worked on mainly in RL. Saying that, carrier ops is to my liking as well. So, I am considering an F-18. Hell, I dunno....I just may buy them all.

Pretty cool!   Well, I guess it's one of those things where maybe you don't understand the subject because you haven't experienced it.

Yep, the instruments in FC3 are quite limited.  The ones in the FF modules are far more fleshed out and functional, however, good old dead-reckoning navigation techniques, fix-to-fix etc can be done in either.   So the question is do you want to study navigation, or just use the instruments?

In FF you can get a TACAN fix to your tanker (but why would you you have him on datalink?), in FC3 not so much (not implemented, but you can sort of fake it) as an example.   In fact you can't do any TACAN in FC3 or any other type of navigation.   All you get is the waypoints.   But, that doesn't stop you from using those anyway to do some old-school navigation that uses more of your brain - not to say that he FF functionality is 'brainless', it offers a lot of stuff - in FC3 you're forced to use these other methods for anything that isn't a waypoint.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Pretty cool! Well, I guess it's one of those things where maybe you don't understand the subject because you haven't experienced it.

Yep, the instruments in FC3 are quite limited.  The ones in the FF modules are far more fleshed out and functional, however, good old dead-reckoning navigation techniques, fix-to-fix etc can be done in either.   So the question is do you want to study navigation, or just use the instruments?

In FF you can get a TACAN fix to your tanker (but why would you you have him on datalink?), in FC3 not so much (not implemented, but you can sort of fake it) as an example.   In fact you can't do any TACAN in FC3 or any other type of navigation.   All you get is the waypoints.   But, that doesn't stop you from using those anyway to do some old-school navigation that uses more of your brain - not to say that he FF functionality is 'brainless', it offers a lot of stuff - in FC3 you're forced to use these other methods for anything that isn't a waypoint.

BINGO! >>>>Well, I guess it's one of those things where maybe you don't understand the subject because you haven't experienced it.

I learn best OJT. Hands-on works for me. I can sit and read manuals/instructions/watch vids until the cows come home but it means almost diddly-squat to me. I gotta go out there and just do it. Learn by trail and error. i.e. baptism by fire. BUT....even so...I do glean much knowledge by the advice of the vets. I just have to take it into practice. I do appreciate your/vets time and efforts as well as all those putting up videos.

I had been watching DCS video from various source for 2 or more years so I did know the FC3 modules were limited. Just didn't know how limited in working terms. You're correct, sir; I DO NOT want to use my brain so much getting to one place to another so "easy" FF and learning it is perhaps the best route.

In short I am probably not so much different than anyone else in that I just want to get airborne, find & engage targets....kill, kill, kill...and get back home in one piece.

Again....ty & Nicola for taking your time with me. It's appreciated.