Rtx 3090 in DCS

So I shopped with my heart instead of my head and went with an Rtx 3090.

I am still tweaking things at the moment but I have to say it's not the uplift in performance that I thought I would get over my Gtx 1080.

Having said that I can now fly choppers in Syria with 90 fps and very smooth using the rift. 

It also allows fantastic performance over the Channel map flying the furball missions. 

It uses over 10Gb of memory in DCS on my settings in vr and I am pleased about that simply because it was one of the reasons I went with this card. 

My current settings are as follows 

Super Sampling 1.3

Terrain textures  High

Textures High

Civ traffic low

Water high

Viz medium 

Heat blur low

Shadows flat only

Cockpit res 512

Msaa x2

Grass 1000

Trees 100%

Preload 150000

Smoke 3

Gamma 1.8

Anisotropic filter 8x

Terrain shadows flat

Cockpit illumination on

Rain on

Running on a 8600k @5Ghz

Memory @3000Mhz

MSFS2020 looks great on ultra @60fps

Any questions please feel free to ask

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Did you check the CPU and GPU utilization with e. g. MSI Afterburner? This can help you to identify a possible bottleneck. If the GPU is at 100% (or close below, but steady) it is not the CPU.

But many thanks. I own the GTX 1080Ti by myself and carefully watch what is going on with the new hardware which came out this year.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

2 hours ago, xoxen said:

Did you check the CPU and GPU utilization with e. g. MSI Afterburner? This can help you to identify a possible bottleneck. If the GPU is at 100% (or close below, but steady) it is not the CPU.

But many thanks. I own the GTX 1080Ti by myself and carefully watch what is going on with the new hardware which came out this year.

Yes to get the best out of the card the next upgrade will be newer, bigger CPU. In DCS cores dont matter but for all other applications I think more cores will help drive FPS

1 hour ago, Maduce said:

XOXEN, I also have 1080ti with I7 7700K. I have been debating on upgrading GPU and CPU but at the moment I don't have too many FPS issues (VR Rift S ). Have you had many issues, and what are your thoughts? 

I think for most people a 3090 might be overkill but for an instant upgrade on a current build especially with a GTX card it will be a good upgrade. Faster memory will help with this too. 

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My understanding is that we are running against an engine wall, you can only achieve what your CPU allows ( IPC x clock speed ). A better GPU does lift your max LOD setting as it is usually not CPU bound but FPS wise you need a CPU first place that can push the limits and then a GPU that can actually use that to give you more FPS, vice versa, a future CPU with unheard performance will allow better FPS when your frame time suffers in your current rig even without a better GPU and will also give you more overall FPS if you also have a future GPU that could make use of such a CPU that can cut frame time to a maximum value that would always allow very high fps. Unfortunately, the CPU is the first step to take and there is none in sight that could remedy the engine limitations. Maybe with new CPUs in 2 years with matured DDR5 at very high speeds we can push harder against this engine wall but it won't come tomorrow.

I keep my rig as it is and will not invest in any new hardware unless I need to for other reasons or hardware failure.

Actually, I stopped flying DCS for now as I am busy with my life and only occasionally fire it up to touch base and not to forget how to fly.

Maybe in 2-3 years I come back as an active Pilot. For now, I enjoy Nürburgring Nordschleife maybe once a month in a Porsche GT2 or GT3

but that has nothing to do with DCS or ED, it's a personal decision based on how much I want to invest time wise to have fun and some distraction from raising two kids, 3 and 5, on my own, that takes 105% of my energy and I couldn't fly and fight even if I wanted to, it's way too much brain juice that I don't have anymore with 51. That and knowing throwing money at software limitations has limited success.

But hey, if you got VR smoother ( as it was your GPU bottlenecking ) and some better overall experience, that's what counts !  

Have fun

Edited by BitMaster
  • Like 2

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

6 hours ago, Cibit said:

So I ... went with an Rtx 3090.

It also allows fantastic performance over the Channel map flying the furball missions. 

1) Thanks for your feedback. Always good to get data points from people that are into DCS rather than just general gaming.

2) I think the furball situation is really the major advantage of the 3090 vs the 3080 for people that use DCS. (There are other advantages for rendering and semi-pro applications, but much less so for general, non-DCS gaming). The reason for this is that furballs with lots of aircraft actually uses more than the 10GB memory available with the 3080. The 24GB in the twice as expensive GPU allows the GA102 to keep chugging through its calculations without coming up for air.

The interesting question though is, does the 16GB available in the RX 6800, RX 6800 XT and RX 6900 XT allow the same furball headroom provided by the 3090 at much, much lower cost. Anyone lucky enough with one of the Big Navi's care to chip in... that is if you are not too busy saving some B-17s in a massive furball over Normandy that is!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

11 hours ago, Milou said:

The interesting question though is, does the 16GB available in the RX 6800, RX 6800 XT and RX 6900 XT allow the same furball headroom provided by the 3090 at much, much lower cost. Anyone lucky enough with one of the Big Navi's care to chip in... that is if you are not too busy saving some B-17s in a massive furball over Normandy that is!

Look at their performances in Microsoft Flight Sim and you'll have an idea, forget about 90 FPS but a good RX 6800XT will provide you with enough FPS to play those scenarios without too much trouble.

I certainly wouldn't splash £1,689.99 on a GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity 24GB GDDR6X Graphics Card, quiet the opposite, I'm looking at cheaper solutions, like the Powercolor Radeon RX 6800 XT MBA 16GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card offered for £679.99 by overclockers.co.uk, it's already a lot of dosh for my budget.

I'm also looking at increasing my CPU performances by using 4 X RAM units instead of 2 and increasing RAM speed to DDR 3600, that would be Crucial Memory, designed for Ryzen, 3600 being the best pick for a Ryzen 5 5600X.

All in all we're talking well over a grand at £1,279.96 just to keep up with the use of VR in DCS. So a GeForce RTX 3090, not an option, I need the GPU. CPU and 4 X 8 GB DDR4 LC16 3600 RAM and the benefit of using more RAM modules is higher than increasing speed with Zen 3, once you know that you have an extra solution to your problem.

Just to be precise, VRAM is not gonna be the only limit, CPU speed as well as RAM will contribute to the overall performance at 4K, so I prefer to focus on having a well balanced system than spending a fortune on a GPU which will not solve the problem totally, but hide it, at a much higher cost.

https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-cpu-six-core-3.7ghz-processor-socket-am4-retail.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-6800-xt-mba-16gb-gddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-very-limited-stock-gx-19q-pc.html

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k16g36c16u4b

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

3 hours ago, Thinder said:

Look at their performances in Microsoft Flight Sim and you'll have an idea, forget about 90 FPS but a good RX 6800XT will provide you with enough FPS to play those scenarios without too much trouble.

Just to be precise, VRAM is not gonna be the only limit...

1) I came to the same conclusion as you. If I upgrade (I am lucky to have a 2080 Ti which performs acceptably with the right settings) it would likely be the 6800XT, although I can afford the 6900XT and might go for that if I manage to snag one at a reasonable price. All the 6000-series are ridiculously short supply in Europe right now. Ehh... I am in no rush.

2) Yes I know that. Obviously. But when usual performance margins between 6800XT, 3080, 6900XT and 3090 are so small the one thing you want to avoid is a hard bottleneck like the disappointing GDDR memory allocated to the 3080. For the average gamer it will matter little and you can always lower settings. But my use case is not average: DCS, 5K monitor / or G2 and I want to play missions with lots of planes. And I don't play any other computer games, so I don't give a damn about raytracing or performance in Steampunk or whatever. 16GB should be good, I'd thunk. If I cared about ray tracing I would wait for the 3080 Ti.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 minutes ago, Milou said:

1) I came to the same conclusion as you. If I upgrade (I am lucky to have a 2080 Ti which performs acceptably with the right settings) it would likely be the 6800XT, although I can afford the 6900XT and might go for that if I manage to snag one at a reasonable price. All the 6000-series are ridiculously short supply in Europe right now. Ehh... I am in no rush.

2) Yes I know that. Obviously. But when usual performance margins between 6800XT, 3080, 6900XT and 3090 are so small the one thing you want to avoid is a hard bottleneck like the disappointing GDDR memory allocated to the 3080. For the average gamer it will matter little and you can always lower settings. But my use case is not average: DCS, 5K monitor / or G2 and I want to play missions with lots of planes. And I don't play any other computer games, so I don't give a damn about raytracing or performance in Steampunk or whatever. 16GB should be good, I'd thunk. If I cared about ray tracing I would wait for the 3080 Ti.

There are tools to figure bottleneck, but the main thing is to bound RAM to CPU and CPU to GPU, bottleneck of less than 10% between CPU and GPU is unlikely to cause you issues.

I think your processor would gain in performance from a simple RAM upgrade if yours isn't already optimized for it, Intel or AMD, the one I have was always a stop gap, with some home work you can easily figure which RAM speed is best for your CPU but overall, more RAM modules works better, than increased speed.

There are a few things you can do to improve overall performances of your system: Optimizing your O.S with the least possible apps running in the background and page files set to Application and on a different partition or HD/SDD than your O.S.

Cooling: All CPUs are limited by their thermals, that of the GPUs as well, so you can check on this too, make sure your PC is cooled enough to guaranty maximum performances and reduce thermal limitation at full load, I have focused on this as well with complete case upgrade including high pressure fans to help the CPU cooler and it works.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/246922-upgrade-complete-happy-player/?tab=comments#comment-247831

It's good that you're not in a rush because the manufacturers will have to compete to come up with more performances for less money, I looked at the cheapest but as it is not yet available, I might find a better solution sooner than later.

I'm waiting for my G2 and will start test benching it with the system I have now, then compare performances with upgrades when I got the parts...

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

On 12/6/2020 at 5:33 PM, Maduce said:

XOXEN, I also have 1080ti with I7 7700K. I have been debating on upgrading GPU and CPU but at the moment I don't have too many FPS issues (VR Rift S ). Have you had many issues, and what are your thoughts? 

I´m running 3 x 27" (WQHD) displays and my card is utilized at 100%, so I guess there is still room for a new GPU, my CPU could still be fast enough. Maybe we can run the same mission with the same settings and compare to see, if a faster/newer GPU is benifitial or the DDR4 RAM you have. I have between 40 and 65 FPS dependent of the situation. Over large cities it goes slightly below 40. Here are my settings.

Settings DCS.png

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

7 hours ago, Thinder said:

I think your processor would gain in performance from a simple RAM upgrade if yours isn't already optimized for it...

...Optimizing your O.S...

Cooling: All CPUs are limited by their thermals...

You've based your analysis on what: what do you know about my current PC?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just now, Milou said:

You've based your analysis on what: what do you know about my current PC?

READ the first line... if yours isn't already optimized for it

If you haven't done it already then it's time to consider doing it,  it is common in players to disregard those aspects of performance improvement.

Just now, Milou said:

Grandma. Eggs.

Call Tintin for help... 😅

Coming from the RTX2060 (which I also used in VR albeit with lower settings) upgrading to a RTX3090 made a HUGE difference. Just how huge Im not sure as I haven't done the required testing, but the frame-times are certainly much lower, and I've been able to push supersampling up as well as texture detail etc and have gone from Flat only shadows to Low (might even try medium). 

Wondering what visibility range does, I have mine set to High but I wonder if I can push Extreme. (Not sure whether the setting affects CPU or GPU) 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Hi lurker, hope you're enjoying the card. I find I am hitting voltage ceiling and think I may undeevolt mine. 

The veiw distance has a big impact for me and in the rift anything more than medium seems unnecessary. 

Keep tweaking 😊

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I see you've got cockpit illumination on, doesn't it make your cockpit all washed out and overbright? (I've noticed when I turn it off the cockpit lighting looks much better)

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I see you've got cockpit illumination on, doesn't it make your cockpit all washed out and overbright? (I've noticed when I turn it off the cockpit lighting looks much better)

I guess you are referring to my picture. Without Cockpit Illumination it looks not good from my point of view and remebering. I played a lot with settings and they are actually fine as they are and I remember that I flew a long time without the illumination on. Now it looks better.

So I just got my rtx3090 and I'm highly impressed. I had the rtx 2080 and everything was superb except in VR. VR was almost useless at around 32 fps with medium detail. With rtx 3090 I'm now around 70fps with high settings with zero bottlenecks.

AMD 3900x at 4.2 GHz

32 GB Ram

RTX 3090 PNY XLR8

• 2 months later...

Well, with no hope of getting a 3080 anytime soon, and the GPU prices rising and rising, I’ve finally bitten the bucket and ordered a 3090 myself. Far far more than I’ve ever spent on a GPU before in my life, but I find if I don’t think about it, it doesn’t upset me as much. 😂😂😂

I have the same chipset and memory as you, so must admit it’s very encouraging to hear you are having good results with it.  Upgrading from a 1080ti so I just hope I can finally fly without stutters.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• 11 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 9:16 AM, Cibit said:

So I shopped with my heart instead of my head and went with an Rtx 3090.

I am still tweaking things at the moment but I have to say it's not the uplift in performance that I thought I would get over my Gtx 1080.

Having said that I can now fly choppers in Syria with 90 fps and very smooth using the rift. 

It uses over 10Gb of memory in DCS on my settings in vr and I am pleased about that simply because it was one of the reasons I went with this card. 

My current settings are as follows 

Super Sampling 1.3

Terrain textures  High

Textures High

Civ traffic low

Water high

Viz medium 

Heat blur low

Shadows flat only

Cockpit res 512

Msaa x2

Grass 1000