Настройки Bignewy Reverb G2 для высокой частоты кадров

BIGNEWY

Not wanting to dis your findings, but here it is straight from HP themselves ... the 100% setting is where it is at

I've actually found that running at 150% and an in game PD of 0.8 makes for an even better experience both in performance and image quality.

• Thanks 2

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

25 minutes ago, Bullant said:

Not wanting to dis your findings, but here it is straight from HP themselves ... the 100% setting is where it is at I've actually found that running at 150% and an in game PD of 0.8 makes for an even better experience both in performance and image quality.

thats odd, as you are driving almost exactly the same number of pixels (because of the way the maths works for PD) as if you are driving 1.0 and 100% but with more processing to achieve it ... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

54 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

thats odd, as you are driving almost exactly the same number of pixels (because of the way the maths works for PD) as if you are driving 1.0 and 100% but with more processing to achieve it ... 

Nope, less processing, PD is harder on the CPU than SS. Apparently.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

12 minutes ago, Bullant said:

Nope, less processing, PD is harder on the CPU than SS. Apparently.

they both do similar things ...  but achieve them differently, in your model you have one set of operations to produce an increased scaling (you super scale to 150% in steam) and then you reduce the scale (a separate set of operations) in DCS with PD 0.8, the math works out that you are driving slightly less pixels total. Twice the operations slightly less pixels... You could achieve the same effect by just setting super sample to 96% ...  handy dandy PD->SS calculator attached...

PDSSCalc.zip

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Can you guys please clarify which setting you are talking about here ( and sorry if that is a dumb question..) 

There are 2 percentage settings, one for steam vr as shown in Big neweys 2nd post on the previous page, and one in the app specific drop down.  First one he sets 54%, second one at 50%.

Which of these are you talking about please? 

And in the linked post on reddit, what does that mean for our settings? I am desperate to find the correct base settings as recommended by the makers. Once I have that correct, I can experiment with the rest......

thank you 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

4 hours ago, razalom said:

DCS doesnt appear for me in the Steam VR settings. I guess thats because i dont have the steam version.

You can add non-Steam games to your Steam Library, or just run have DCS running then it will be shown in your Steam Library settings whilst it is running.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• ED Team

I will experiment tonight with higher values and let you all know when my fps starts to drop

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

11 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

So just to clarify, as it’s somewhat confusing.......what is the correct setting in steam VR and the correct one for the app? Is it 48 or 50 % for the first and then 100% in the app, which is effectively the same as in the first setting as at 100% it’s multiplying by 1 and then if want to increase the clarity, you increase the percentage from 100 to say 120%in the app specific drop down, to increase by 20%? Have I got that right?

If you want to stop the confusion, stop talking in %.  Go by the resolution number.

The resolution number of the per app setting is the final resolution output by your GPU.  Multiplied by whatever PD you set in DCS.

But DCS PD and SteamVR SS is not same scale so this is another layer of confusion.  Why I recommend keeping DCS PD to 1 so you know exactly what resolution your GPU is outputting at.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

In the NVIDIA settings you have "Anisotropic Filtering" set of "Off" instead of "Application controlled", then in DCS you have it enabled. Does this enable or disable it? It seems like those two settings conflict.

• ED Team
17 minutes ago, MPK said:

In the NVIDIA settings you have "Anisotropic Filtering" set of "Off" instead of "Application controlled", then in DCS you have it enabled. Does this enable or disable it? It seems like those two settings conflict.

Good point, will have a play around with it tonight 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Just to be clear this thread isnt about what is right or wrong, this is about the settings I am using to get the preference and performance I want, and it may help others looking for the same. 

A quick test this evening, I can say 100% does give me a frame hit into the high 70's, I dont like that as with my eyes I did not see any improvement in the picture.

At the moment I am happy with 54% in DCS 90FPS 

Anistropic filtering off and on also tried again I did not see much of a difference here either, I am inclined to leave it off now and keep the frame rates high. 

I can read all the text, I have no screen door effect. There is some shimmering at distance, but I can tolerate that coming from the vive cosmos and dell visor whch I have used in the past. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Just to be clear this thread isnt about what is right or wrong, this is about the settings I am using to get the preference and performance I want, and it may help others looking for the same. 

A quick test this evening, I can say 100% does give me a frame hit into the high 70's, I dont like that as with my eyes I did not see any improvement in the picture.

At the moment I am happy with 54% in DCS 90FPS 

Absolutely mate, was just adding some input from the guys who built the headset. To my eyes, and I think that's important because everyone's eyes are different, I see a massive difference in clarity between 54% and 100%. The hornet MFDs are a blurry mess at 54% (without leaning in like I had to on the Rift S), but at 100% I can read them from the normal seated position.

With my 2080 I am never going to hit 90fps without turning everything down to minimum, so I'm working with settings that give me a stable 50fps so that reprojection can do its magic.

Will be a different story when I get my 3080, at which point I will definitely try your settings.

10 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Can you guys please clarify which setting you are talking about here ( and sorry if that is a dumb question..) 

There are 2 percentage settings, one for steam vr as shown in Big neweys 2nd post on the previous page, and one in the app specific drop down.  First one he sets 54%, second one at 50%.

Which of these are you talking about please? 

And in the linked post on reddit, what does that mean for our settings? I am desperate to find the correct base settings as recommended by the makers. Once I have that correct, I can experiment with the rest......

They really have made it confusing in Steam VR SS settings.

The first setting is a global percentage. The second allows you to set for each specific game. However, unlike most settings where the game specific setting would override the global setting, the steam SS settings are actually multiplied, so:

Steam SS = Global Steam SS x Game specific SS

If you set global to 54% and game specific to 120% then you will get an actual SS setting of 65%

What the reddit article is saying is that the G2 was designed to need a certain amount of SS for optimal clarity, and that SS happens to be the 100% setting. I guess that makes sense then as to why 100% is the default value!

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2020 at 3:14 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Hi all,

I am being asked a lot about my VR settings and how I am getting 90 FPS in VR

Thanks so much for providing - very interesting. (And sure beats watching a 20 minute video of some guy just showing his settings 😉 )

Just one thing - can you please advise what your CPU is, RAM, and whether you are overclocking (both CPU, RAM and GPU please)? Apologise if you've already stated - I can't seem to see it

And in regards to PD/SS differences - I found it interesting but didn't want to derail this thread - because this is about BN's settings - so have started a dedicated thread here PD / SS - Rob from the rich (GPU), give to the poor (CPU)? (eagle.ru) for anyone who's interested in discussing. 🙂

Edited by Dangerzone

Since I just ordered a G2 I will try these settings out when I finally get it. I have the Reverb G1 but I found I want the IPD adjustment and improved sweet spot along with the FOV mod to the G2 should make it an awesome upgrade.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

7 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Anistropic filtering off and on also tried again I did not see much of a difference here either, I am inclined to leave it off now and keep the frame rates high.

I tested this tonight and I can 100% confirm that with the settings in your screenshots anisotropic filtering is forced off. You must set it to "Application controlled" in the nvidia control panel to allow it. The easiest test is to try to see the carrier centreline from a mile away. It is a blurry mess with it off and it is nice and clear with it set to a high value.

Also what are the conditions that you are testing under? If I fly around in an empty world I get acceptable framerates and no stuttering. If I join a multiplayer server, particularly one with a lot of AI units like the hoggit GAW/PAW servers I get a worse frame rate but the real issue is horrific stuttering due to spikes in the CPU frame time.

• ED Team

tests are done in single player, free flight. 

I know MP will have a bigger hit, as mentioned busy MP on a carrier will bring the frames down to 45, but it is smooth for me with these settings. I tend to fly in smaller servers so the frame hit is not to bad for me usually. 

6 hours ago, razalom said:

I take it your 90 FPS is in the Air only and not the ground as well?

I can get 90 frames on the ground in single player with these settings, just depends on which mission and what is going on

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

tests are done in single player, free flight. 

I know MP will have a bigger hit, as mentioned busy MP on a carrier will bring the frames down to 45, but it is smooth for me with these settings. I tend to fly in smaller servers so the frame hit is not to bad for me usually. 

I can get 90 frames on the ground in single player with these settings, just depends on which mission and what is going on

thats the other factor ... of course for lots of environmental reasons experience varies on any given set of settings; but also it really is about individual perception and what you can tolerate in terms of your own individual experience.

The best that any individuals settings can give you is a "clue" to work out what to look at in order to improve your own experience, unfortunately that means a lot of tweaking, but others choices can help you understand what works for them as a baseline, it may or may not work for you as an individual, you might not be able to live without "MSAA, Shadows or Mirrors"  or struggle with specific effects (personally i can't deal with the 'stuttering' that exists for me without Motion Smoothing enabled in steamvr, others are fine without it).

The best thing you can do is look at the settings and go "well i will give that a try and see how it works for me"; and then adjust accordingly... but there is no spoon...

• ED Team
44 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

thats the other factor ... of course for lots of environmental reasons experience varies on any given set of settings; but also it really is about individual perception and what you can tolerate in terms of your own individual experience.

The best that any individuals settings can give you is a "clue" to work out what to look at in order to improve your own experience, unfortunately that means a lot of tweaking, but others choices can help you understand what works for them as a baseline, it may or may not work for you as an individual, you might not be able to live without "MSAA, Shadows or Mirrors"  or struggle with specific effects (personally i can't deal with the 'stuttering' that exists for me without Motion Smoothing enabled in steamvr, others are fine without it).

The best thing you can do is look at the settings and go "well i will give that a try and see how it works for me"; and then adjust accordingly... but there is no spoon...

Agreed, between personal preference, and machine spec and setup finding the right balance is a minefield and can give different results for different people. 

On 12/8/2020 at 12:14 AM, Taz1004 said:

That's incorrect.  If you do the math, you'll find that 100% in SteamVR is actually 140% of native resolution (in number of pixels).  That is the supersampling Steam deems "appropriate".  That is why you can't reverse it exactly to your native resolution.  You can't reverse 140% reset to 100% back to original 100% without going into decimal value.

100% is 210% on my G2 setup - 3172x3096 (9.8m) cf. 2160x2160 (4.7m). Not sure where the 140% comes from. Is it different depending on GPU, etc.?

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

7 minutes ago, imacken said:

100% is 210% on my G2 setup - 3172x3096 (9.8m) cf. 2160x2160 (4.7m). Not sure where the 140% comes from. Is it different depending on GPU, etc.?

140% linear dimension.  Not pixel count.  2160x1.4=3024 vertical pixel dimension.

This is not new.  It's been this way since Oculus DK1.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe we should, but there is so much confusion around this topic - not least on this thread - that we probably won't!  There will still be confusion on this topic as many people are confused by the concept of '100%', and there are many Reverb G1 owners here, and as we know, its pixel count is reported differently.

So many people still misunderstand how the SteamVR SS and DCS PD values relate to each other.  You see everywhere people talking about PD of 1.5 being equivalent to SS of 150% rather 225%.  To an extent, that 140% adds to it. As you well know 140% on axes is 200% on the number of pixels. It's no wonder that there is confusion, but it is frustrating to read so much misinformation so often.  Hence the need for clarification at times.

Anyway, you're probably right, let's leave the confusion alone for now.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

So, if I wanted as a baseline, before I started tweaking and changing things, to set up my headset as the makers designed, what would my settings in steam VR be please? I am still not clear about this. People refer to Steam SS - this is steam home percentage setting  x steam app specific percentage setting, is that correct ( as in Bullants post further up?) How does 54% x 120% = 65% ? simply deduct steam VR from app setting? Obviously all assuming in game PD is at 1........

I also asked earlier about settings in WMR, in my headset dislay  box there I have 4120 x 2160 ( best quality ) selected. How does this relate to the native res of the G2 and is it the correct setting?

Thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1 minute ago, markturner1960 said:

So, if I wanted as a baseline, before I started tweaking and changing things, to set up my headset as the makers designed, what would my settings in steam VR be please? I am still not clear about this. People refer to Steam SS - this is steam home percentage setting  x steam app specific percentage setting, is that correct ( as in Bullants post further up?) How does 54% x 120% = 65% ? simply deduct steam VR from app setting? Obviously all assuming in game PD is at 1........

I also asked earlier about settings in WMR, in my headset dislay  box there I have 4120 x 2160 ( best quality ) selected. How does this relate to the native res of the G2 and is it the correct setting?

Thanks

You're starting up a whole hornet's nest here.  There are many threads all over the internet about this topic.

Some facts.

1) the G2 native res is 2160*2160 per eye.  So, your WMR setting is correct.

2) all VR headsets produce what is called barrel distortion, and there is a certain amount of allowance to compensate for that in the SS value. This is normally taken to be around 1.4 at an axis level, so 1.4x1.4=2, or 200% at a pixel level.

3) in SteamVR, the pixel count for the G2 at 100% is 3172x3096, and at 48% is 2196x2144.  48% is the closest you can get to 'native res'. So, the 100% level has twice as many pixels in total, or 1.4 (approximately) times per axis.  

4) what value of SS you use is down to you, but HP engineers have apparently confirmed that 100% is the correct default value.

5) this is different to the G1, where SteamVR SS reports 100% at pretty much the native resolution, and this is where a lot of confusion has arisen.

6) the G1 100% is equivalent to the G2 48% in terms of pixels and it takes a whole lot more resources to run the G2 at 100%.

Personally, I feel you need to test this out for yourself.  I have asked before how we see the barrel distortion in practice, as I never noticed it in the G1 running at 100%. Can anyone see this distortion in practice?

There is no simple answer to your question.  higher values - up to a limit - give clearer images, but just use a value that is good for you and use that as a benchmark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2