snap view

I'm trying to set up snap views to be continuous when i press the snap key.

I've set up my own views ok, and they appear when i press the key, but I can't make them hold.

I understand that the key to press should be 'cockpit view toggle'.

I press this key, but afterwards the snap view remains transient (i.e. returns to trackir after releasing the snap view key)

I've watched several tutorials which seem to make it work, but i cannot get a success.

I'm sure its my fault but I can't see waht i've missed.

help please.😀

On my case, I use a key-command to pause the headtracking and then use the snapview with its toggle. For that I used Thrustmaster's utility to bind both commands in sequence to each position of a Hotas Hat. The end result is like this:

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

1 hour ago, colubridae said:

Exactly what I've done.
However the snapview remains 'transient'.

For some reason which I cannot fathom, the toggle key seems to have no effect.

But are you pausing the headtracking? Because it sounds like you do not.

On my Hotas software I bind the Snapview commands using a Macro (a set of 2 or more commands), for example this is the binding for Hat1 Down:

BTN H1D /I   /T Snapview_MPCD_On
                    /T Snapview_MPCD_Off 

The /T is a toggle definition, it means that each Hat button press executes one macro the first time its pressed, and the other macro on the next time, toggling between them.

Each macro looks like this one:

Snapview_MPCD_On = Headtracking_ON-OFF

DLY(10)

Control_Stick-HIDE  

Cockpit_panel_view_toggle

DLY(10)  

KP2

DLY is a delay command, used to prevent the keystrokes from being generated so fast that DCS will miss to recognize them. On this example the delay is 10 miliseconds. KP2 is the number 2 on the numeric keypad.

Edited by Rudel_chw
added example

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Thanks for the post Rudel.

I'm not able to program my hotas in that fashion.

However i'm trying to set it up via voice attack as per sunstag gamer's video:-

But the toggle cockpit view seems to not action anything.

I've tried with trackir not started.

I've been having some difficulty with this as well

Eventually I think I've got them sorted, for now, but I'm still having problems with the AV-8B which seems to just go back to it's original bindings and if I'm understanding it also loses all the other custom settings for all the other modules. I may have this wrong as I'm still experimenting.

What I did is follow @Rudel_chw 's advice thank you for posting.

TrackIR Paused or off before starting to configure the views and also adding in a TrackIR pause prior to activating the snap views once they are saved

When I'm configuring the views I'm using the keyboard commands and when I finish a config I exit out the game then go and save the SnapView.lua file in the Config\Views directory

I'm using VA to do execute the Sanp Views, although my method is slightly different to Sunstag's.

If it helps @colubridae I could make a short vid showing how I did it, but as I say it's early days and I'm still messing with it

Thanks for the offer Weegie.

I guess i have not explained my problem correctly

1. I can set up my own personalised 'snap views' without any trouble. and they are kept by DCS.

2. when i press the key for (as an example on A-10C II left-win-num3 ) my personalised CDU view the view appears correctly, but
only as long as i hold down the left-win-num3 key. As soon as I release this key it returns to the previous view, whatever that was.

so far this is correct behaviour.

However according to several youtube tutorials its is possible to change this behaviour 
such that when the left-win-num3 is pressed the CDU view appears and remains in view
even when the left-win-num3 key is released. (a second press of left-win-num9 'releases' the snap view and returns to previous regular view)

To effect this behaviour the key to press is 'toggle cockpit view'

and this is where my problem lies. Pressing this key does not change the 'snap view' behaviours; it always behaves as in point 2 above.

I hope this clarifies what my problem is.

Hope someone can help.

It's not a major concern but would be really useful.

49 minutes ago, colubridae said:

To effect this behaviour the key to press is 'toggle cockpit view'

and this is where my problem lies. Pressing this key does not change the 'snap view' behaviours; it always behaves as in point 2 above.

The Toggle cockpit view conflicts with any headtracking device you are using .. pause your headtracker and then the key will work.

1 hour ago, colubridae said:

BTW I'm using trackir 5

I tried pausing trackir. not successful, toggle key did not work.

started DCS without even running trackir. Still no success.

Strange .. I use a different Headtracking (FaceTrackNoIR and also used OpenTrack for a while), and on both the key worked if I paused the headtracking, like this:

I'm running TrackIR 5.4 and it's working fine for me, if you're experiencing that sort of behaviour with TrackIR disabled it sounds like it's a DCS issue.

I can't really help as your problem sounds like it's beyond my (very limited) technical knowledge.

The normal Keybind is R_CTRL 0 which Toggles the Snap View On/Off.

I'll check later to see if it can be changed in the keyboard controls and if it can, does it work properly. Some keyboard commands can behave strangely, it's rare but it does happen.

I see you're in Cheshire so Ass-umming UK Extended keyboard, same as me up in Jockland.

Just one more thing have you tried running a repair just in case something has been corrupted

@Rudel_chw flying the Viggen Good Man I love that bird

I pretty convinced something is corrupted. what, i don't know.

didn't know there was such a thing as a repair. How do i run it, please.

Jockland eh, how's your lockdown. p.s. I'm welsh, so you can dis the sassenachs as much as you want (oops unless you're one of course. 😀)

Tee Hee @colubridae naw I'm not English but the missus is & from Cheshire originally ;o)

As far as the lockdown, think it's much the same for everybody, just a different face telling you what you can't do (good excuse to learn some more about my modules)

Anyway back to the snap views thang,

BigNewy's video on how to do  a repair (Don't know if you can embed YouTube vids on the new forum engine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5DImUpk0WU

Another approach is to download and use skatezilla's tool and have a GUI to do all this sorta stuff

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/134493-the-dcs-updater-gui-utility/?tab=comments#comment-134499

Try either any probs shout up let us now how you get on, I'm still trying to get my snap views to work with the AV-8B for some reason it doesn't seem to save mine.

Small tip once you've made views you're happy with, before making more it's a good idea to backup the SnapViews.lua file in the Saved Games\DCS*\Config\View\ directory. Just in case something overwrites it (this is what is happening to me with the AV-8B and I lost all my other snap views)

Edited by Weegie

Have downloaded gui. no problems. executed repair no problems (some files needed deleting)

unfortunately i still have my problem. 😔 never mind it's not such a serious prob, but t65hnaks for advice.

(though after repair DCS did seem to load noticeably quicker. yea. 😀