Ground unit inside moving zone not working?

Woody01

I can set it up for a plane or ship just fine but I cant get 'Unit inside moving zone' to actually stay with a ground unit, I find it just stays where it is at mission start and the truck drives off not longer attached to the moving zone. I have not tried it with every ground unit mainly just trucks and Land Rovers. Can anyone see anything obvious I may have done wrong in the attached pic or does it just not work for ground units?

Thanks.

Screen_201207_171938.png

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

Zones themselves don't move. I mean, the zone "icon" on the F10 map will stay where you place it.

If you use the zone as "moving zone" attached to a unit, you might just as well place that zone anywhere you want on the map. Once linked to a unit, DCS will "move" the center of that zone onto your unit (but you won't actually see that)

Hope that helps 🙂

By the way, and with all respect 🙂 , but the trigger in your example doesn't make sense.

In your case, from the start of the mission, zone "Daves moving zone" will be linked/centred to unit "Dave". Hence, from the start of the mission unit "Dave" will always be inside "Daves moving zone". So the message "Dave is in his moving zone" will popup on mission start and disappear after 10 seconds.

Normally you use the inside moving zone, to trigger if unit A is within a certain range of unit B.

E.g.:

Place in mission editor:

Aircraft named: F-18

Zone (with 300m radius) named: Aircraft carrier zone

Ship named: Aircraft carrier

In trigger menu:

Condition

Unit: F-18

Zone: Aircraft carrier zone

Zone unit: Aircraft carrier

Action

Message to all: TEST

The above will result in:

A message to all "TEST", when unit "F-18" comes within 300m of the carrier

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Thanks sirrah, I appreciate the feedback. The original goal of doing this was to have a small trigger zone around a Land Rover so when a helicopter hovered over top it would have a message to all about a pickup, so the pic above is only half the story I guess. Thanks though, I think I get what you are saying. As I said I can get it to work ok with ships and aircraft just not ground units. I will keep on experimenting and try your advice.

Edited by Woody01

• 3 months later...

Hmmm, it would appear I still dont get how this trigger works, any further explanation would be very welcome. The latest attempt to have this Unit inside moving zone work for one of my missions has the following scenario. A vehicle convoy moving along carrying POW's, when the lead vehicle is destroyed I want friendly troops to spawn around the destroyed vehicle/ convoy as a sort of POW rescue scenario, I am using the CTLD script and the ctld.spawnGroupAtTrigger("blue", 2, "spawn1", 0) function. I can get the spawn on destroy part to work fine, but damned if I can get the moving zone to attach to the lead unit and every time the lead vehicle is destroyed the troops spawn where the trigger is placed in the mission editor. Doing my head in, but am I asking too much of this trigger or do I just fundamentally not understand what its function is how to set it up? Thanks.

Spawning a group in a small zone placed exactly where a unit died is I think a challenging task. Forget about the "unit inside moving zone" function, it's for detection only and the zone-unit must be alive.

I can think of an approximative function that would require checking and storing position of designated unit every second on a non local item (by scheduling a new check in 1 sec when one is done), that will fail when unit dies (unit.getbyname returning nil). Coupled with a check "if unit is dead", and when unit is dead spawn a group on the stored position within a small radius (the last position value stored before dead event that fails position's check).

This way the function would work even if the designated unit instantly dies.

Edited by toutenglisse
  • Thanks 1