F-16C Ramp Drop

Mudhen1

• 1 month later...

I guess you mean stabilator droop? I never even noticed it being missing before., but you are not wrong. 

I guess (but haven't checked) that a good many, if not all, DCS aircraft are missing such things as control surfaces drooping. I did notice that an empty DCS Spit had elevator dropping under gravity, while one with a pilot did not, as he was holding it in a neutral position. So all good there. 

On 1/8/2021 at 10:09 AM, mkiii said:

I guess you mean stabilator droop? I never even noticed it being missing before., but you are not wrong. 

I guess (but haven't checked) that a good many, if not all, DCS aircraft are missing such things as control surfaces drooping. I did notice that an empty DCS Spit had elevator dropping under gravity, while one with a pilot did not, as he was holding it in a neutral position. So all good there. 

"It’s called “ramp droop”. The stabs are hydraulically actuated, and when the hydraulic pressure drops after we shut the engine down, the stab moves to its natural position, which is the one that you see in the photos because the stab is heavier in the back."
"And a stab that moves to that position naturally is a safety feature. Means that if you were ever to lose hydraulic pressure, the stab would move in a way to pitch the jet’s nose downward. If the natural tendency would be to pitch up, you can imagine how a momentary loss of hydraulics could make the jet go out of control."
By an F-16C bl.35 64th AGRS pilot. 

On 1/8/2021 at 11:43 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Ive noticed mine does this sometimes

I'm pretty sure that the hornet does that, but the F-16 doesn't. (I couldn't write anything in the post so I wasn't able to be more specific)

Edited by dolletin

On 1/14/2021 at 10:11 AM, dolletin said:

"It’s called “ramp droop”. The stabs are hydraulically actuated, and when the hydraulic pressure drops after we shut the engine down, the stab moves to its natural position, which is the one that you see in the photos because the stab is heavier in the back."
"And a stab that moves to that position naturally is a safety feature. Means that if you were ever to lose hydraulic pressure, the stab would move in a way to pitch the jet’s nose downward. If the natural tendency would be to pitch up, you can imagine how a momentary loss of hydraulics could make the jet go out of control."

I'm pretty sure that the hornet does that, but the F-16 doesn't. (I couldn't write anything in the post so I wasn't able to be more specific)

I have never heard it actually have a name.  Maybe that pilot likes to call it that?  But as a F-16 crew chief we never had an official name for it ask 3 Crew Chief and you will get 3 answers or more likely just a who cares what it is called as a response.  

As far as it being designed that way for emergency reasons I am curious as to a source about that other then a pilots say so.  I think it is more likely it is designed that way cause if it was heavier in the front then you would have a really weird looking stabilator that has more surface area in front of the pivot point making it fight the wind and hydraulic system much more then how it is currently designed.  the fact that it works as you say in emergencies is just a helpful byproduct of its design.  In fact if it was somehow heavier in front but still had the larger surface area behind the pivot point it would still be stable enough for a momentary loss of hydraulic power.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 12:11 PM, dolletin said:

Here is a screenshot of mine drooping with everything off following a strike

20201227172041_1.jpg

• Like 1

-Alex

i9-12900K | RTX3080 | 32GB DDR4 | Water Cooled | Logitech X56 | TrackIR5 | 34" MSI Curved Widescreen 3440x1440

My F16 does this when shut down.  Not sure why a few of you have said it doesn't for you....  Have you shut the aircraft down, or are you expecting this behavior when the aircraft is still running?

Like the person posted above, all seems correct/normal for me.........

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...