VR Hardware Benchmark late 2020 - Ryzen 2000/5000 - 1080ti vs 3080 vs 6800XT

JayRoc

So I have changed:

- Default SteamVR app motion reprojection mode to SteamVR perr-app setting

- Force DX11 mode - ON

Motion Reprojection works MUCH better for me and its actually holding to 45 FPS at 14-15 ms. There are however still frequent instances when FPS goes up to 50-60 and I see reprojection indicators changing (switching constantly Blue - Red, so GPU / CPU bound - Off), but smoothing also seems to be working and so overall experience is like Nvidia.

On the other hand it did not cure on my side issue like text warping. There is also visible shimmering on power lines, cockpit edges (MiG-21 most noticeable on gunsight frame) and even a bit on fps VR window. 

I cranked up settings in game, set few different things in driver and overclocked GPU. Now I will take it online and see how it compares to my yesterday experience with Nvidia. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Cool! Good to hear! 

So you set motion reprojection on auto or motion vector in wmr and in steamvr you set it to per app? Do I understand that correctly? 

If so, you could try to set it on motion vector as this should lock it to 45fps and you should not see the jumps up to 50-60fps.

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

1 hour ago, Hiromachi said:

So I have changed:

- Default SteamVR app motion reprojection mode to SteamVR perr-app setting

- Force DX11 mode - ON

Motion Reprojection works MUCH better for me and its actually holding to 45 FPS at 14-15 ms. There are however still frequent instances when FPS goes up to 50-60 and I see reprojection indicators changing (switching constantly Blue - Red, so GPU / CPU bound - Off), but smoothing also seems to be working and so overall experience is like Nvidia.

On the other hand it did not cure on my side issue like text warping. There is also visible shimmering on power lines, cockpit edges (MiG-21 most noticeable on gunsight frame) and even a bit on fps VR window. 

I cranked up settings in game, set few different things in driver and overclocked GPU. Now I will take it online and see how it compares to my yesterday experience with Nvidia. 

Did you notice blurrier overall image compared to forcedx11mode off?

Ryzen 5 3600x @ GTX 1070 on Samsung Odyssey+

:joystick:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

43 minutes ago, exil said:

Cool! Good to hear! 

So you set motion reprojection on auto or motion vector in wmr and in steamvr you set it to per app? Do I understand that correctly? 

If so, you could try to set it on motion vector as this should lock it to 45fps and you should not see the jumps up to 50-60fps.

I just set motion reprojection to SteamVR perr-app setting in OpenVRSettingsUX.exe (can be found in Steam folder).

I can try changing it to Motion Vector.

23 minutes ago, otavio said:

Did you notice blurrier overall image compared to forcedx11mode off?

No, not particularly. But than again, I wear glasses and until my lenses from VROptician arrive, I am not the best judge of how blurry or not things are. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

I just hope we get a fix real soon, because I`m already considering returning this pos card.

Ryzen 5 3600x @ GTX 1070 on Samsung Odyssey+

:joystick:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

Well, card is not pos, it has performance in it. It's software that sucks. I went with indicated above config online. Well, its playable but there are still reprojection errors related to warping (text, gunsight) and shadows flickering. And reprojection is Valve concern if I'm not mistaken. 

@Habu_69 No. There are some issues with AMD RX6000 and WMR. But there are easy work arounds and the AMD´s are way faster (in DCS!).

If you play a lot of other games, the RTX might be the better choice. But again it depends on usercase.

My current settings for MP:

SteamVR non Beta

WMR for SteamVR Beta

Steam SS 80% (for HP G2)

DCS 1.2

with no MSAA

Steam motion smoothing to Auto

I get pretty much all of the time 45fps with reprojection on busy servers.

DCS Supersampling to 1.2 increases the sharpness a lot and since i set it there, i have no issues with warped texts (just some times the chat) but no artefacts

in the cockpit or the world.

Edited by JayRoc

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

Maybe interesting for some, because I have tested the 3080, 6900XT and the 3090 with DCS too. My 3080 kept crashing, so I was looking for an alternative. I was most excited about the 6900XT, but I have to say that when I tested it, I was really disappointed. My own benchmarks weren't really much better than my 3080 and the "feel" (and fps, ms,..) in DCS was the same. The card that ended up staying in my PC is the 3090. First DCS run with it and I was grinning like a kid. It's interesting that it might just be a driver problem, but for now I'm really happy with the 3090. Even if it is overpriced.

1 hour ago, Habu_69 said:

Having followed all this testing, results appear to indicate that for now with current drivers and software, for DCS in VR, the RTX 3080 performs consistently better than 6800XT. Right?

Hard to tell. The raw data indicates that Amd is the better card. If you don't use motion smoothing and looking for 90 fps I would recommend amd. 

If you need motion smoothing (most likely in VR), then I would maybe wait. There are issues right now. They could possibly be fixed with the next driver update or maybe never. We don't know yet. 

If it's gonna be fixed I am pretty sure, that the 6800xt will be one of the best cards you will find for DCS. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

4 hours ago, JayRoc said:

@Habu_69 No. There are some issues with AMD RX6000 and WMR. But there are easy work arounds and the AMD´s are way faster (in DCS!).

If you play a lot of other games, the RTX might be the better choice. But again it depends on usercase.

My current settings for MP:

SteamVR non Beta

WMR for SteamVR Beta

Steam SS 80% (for HP G2)

DCS 1.2

with no MSAA

Steam motion smoothing to Auto

I get pretty much all of the time 45fps with reprojection on busy servers.

DCS Supersampling to 1.2 increases the sharpness a lot and since i set it there, i have no issues with warped texts (just some times the chat) but no artefacts

in the cockpit or the world.

Jatrock, what's the reason behind SS at 80% and PD at 1.2?  I thought that leaving PD at 1 and manipulating the Steam SS was the better way to tune performance/visuals? 

Thats what people say who havent tried different settings. You shouldnt go with DCS SS below 1.0. But the SS of DCS is sharper than Steam SS...but is heavier on your hardware.

With my Odyssey i went for Steam SS 150% and DCS SS 1.5 which gave me a very good clarity. I could read read all gauges in the cockpit from my normal seated position.

The 80% SS on Steam is just for the G2. With the G2 not 100% is the native resolution but 50%. So the 80% would be the 150% on the Odyssey.

If that makes sense?

Try for yourself and find settings that suit you and your maschine.

Edited by JayRoc

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

3 hours ago, hooti said:

Maybe interesting for some, because I have tested the 3080, 6900XT and the 3090 with DCS too. My 3080 kept crashing, so I was looking for an alternative. I was most excited about the 6900XT, but I have to say that when I tested it, I was really disappointed. My own benchmarks weren't really much better than my 3080 and the "feel" (and fps, ms,..) in DCS was the same. The card that ended up staying in my PC is the 3090. First DCS run with it and I was grinning like a kid. It's interesting that it might just be a driver problem, but for now I'm really happy with the 3090. Even if it is overpriced.

Like you buddy, I love mine too.  Ain't gonna give 'er up.  🙂   Regardless, I'm following this thread.  Interesting info/input!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

8 hours ago, hooti said:

Do you think that it is the lack of VRAM on the 3080 that is the issue? 

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

I am not really sure if it was a VRAM problem, but with the 6900XT and the 3090 the problems were gone immediately. Multiplayer now works without problems and most importantly I am no longer afraid to open the f10 map. With the 3080 I had several problems (reverb bluescreens, SteamVR crashes, ...) as discussed in the other thread. In my opinion, something strange was going on with the VRAM usage of the 3080. But maybe it's just a driver problem or something else. 

1 hour ago, JayRoc said:

Please read the difference of frametimes and frames per seconds.

But as stated in other threads nvidia improved their VR experience with 460.79 a lot. 

I tried to find the difference but most reference FPs and refresh rate. I was trying to understand why people refer to frame time. can you explain or giver me a link.

thanks

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I tried to find the difference but most reference FPs and refresh rate. I was trying to understand why people refer to frame time. can you explain or giver me a link.

thanks

Because frametime matters most in VR.
To maintain 90fps you need to be in the land This is impossible even for the most beefy hardware. So the next goal becomes to be under 22ms to have a smooth experience with ASW/Motion Smoothing.
Frametimes are the time that the cpu uses to prepare a frame for the GPU and the time that the GPU uses to render it.
1000 milliseconds/90 frames = 11.2 milliseconds.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

36 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

Because frametime matters most in VR.
To maintain 90fps you need to be in the land This is impossible even for the most beefy hardware. So the next goal becomes to be under 22ms to have a smooth experience with ASW/Motion Smoothing.
Frametimes are the time that the cpu uses to prepare a frame for the GPU and the time that the GPU uses to render it.
1000 milliseconds/90 frames = 11.2 milliseconds.

Thank you for the explanation!!!! I’m frame time is 20-25 when I happen to look for it earlier. I have spend hours already trying to figure out what my next hardware setup should be. This tread has helped a lot.

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat