AIM-120B (SPAM)RAAM vs (unguided rocket) R-27T

Cmptohocah

1 hour ago, Cmptohocah said:

So I guess this is a bug then right? In the first track (and the screenshots), that I have provided, you can see that the search area is much greater than the stated 15 degree cone. Or am I missing something? It seems that the seeker covers this huge volume in front of it in no time, with the measured angles.

AFAIK the 15° is for maddog AMRAAMs (VISUAL mode), not for the maximum gimbal limits in search mode, could be wrong though.

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

2 hours ago, Cmptohocah said:

So I guess this is a bug then right? In the first track (and the screenshots), that I have provided, you can see that the search area is much greater than the stated 15 degree cone. Or am I missing something? It seems that the seeker covers this huge volume in front of it in no time, with the measured angles.

No, a bug is 'not working as intended'.   They have changed the way it's intended to work - there was a bug with VISUAL not working correctly (as in not working) ... not sure if this limits the search after the missile loses lock, but even if it does, still an improvement as opposed to bugfix 🙂

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

AFAIK the 15° is for maddog AMRAAMs (VISUAL mode), not for the maximum gimbal limits in search mode, could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, GGTharos said:

No, a bug is 'not working as intended'.   They have changed the way it's intended to work - there was a bug with VISUAL not working correctly (as in not working) ... not sure if this limits the search after the missile loses lock, but even if it does, still an improvement as opposed to bugfix 🙂

I see, so this update was not for the search mode once the 120 looses tracking info from the launching platform. I've missed that "detail".

It's interesting to thing that a missile like the currently modeled AIM-120 can be used as a 1 vs many weapon in such a way. I am not sure how many can be launched at the same time, but it just blows my mind that a missile can be "sent" to an area and start tracking what ever if finds in its path, and with great efficiency - for such a tinny seeker and no support from a launching platform what so ever. Now, since I have no information that disproves this, I can't really say it doesn't do it, but it does seem like quite an omnipotent thing. Again that's my opinion only.

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉

2 minutes ago, Cmptohocah said:

I see, so this update was not for the search mode once the 120 looses tracking info from the launching platform. I've missed that "detail".

It's interesting to thing that a missile like the currently modeled AIM-120 can be used as a 1 vs many weapon in such a way. I am not sure how many can be launched at the same time, but it just blows my mind that a missile can be "sent" to an area and start tracking what ever if finds in its path, and with great efficiency - for such a tinny seeker and no support from a launching platform what so ever. Now, since I have no information that disproves this, I can't really say it doesn't do it, but it does seem like quite an omnipotent thing. Again that's my opinion only.

Thats how all ARH (R-77, SD-10) work, so this really isnt an AMRAAM issue. And fundamentally, thats how ARH missiles are supposed to work. The AMRAAM actually has a mode for this, the inertial active mode. To quote "Distributed Simulation Testing for Weapons System Performance of the F/A-18 and AIM-120 AMRAAM":

Inertial Active is a complete launch and leave mode in which the AMRAAM guides to an inertial point provided to the missile pre-launch with no updates during flight. Terminal guidance is provided by the missile's onboard radar. The missile is also capable of sorting multiple targets and picking individual targets for each missile launched against an unresolved group of targets.

And theres a good reason you need to support the missile, if you dont you have no guarantee it will find the correct target, it could even go after a freindly. Again, the main issue is that the scan doesnt take time. And that hopefully will be fixed at some point. But this isnt an AMRAAM/red vs blue thing, this is a limitation of ARH seekers in DCS as a whole.

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

11 minutes ago, Cmptohocah said:

Not explicitly but it may affect it.

I am not sure how many can be launched at the same time, but it just blows my mind that a missile can be "sent" to an area and start tracking what ever if finds in its path, and with

great efficiency - for such a tinny seeker and no support from a launching platform what so ever.

When you do that its Pk is about the same as the sparrow.  Tested IRL by the brits.   The decided to buy the full  package after that.

Now, since I have no information that disproves this, I can't really say it doesn't do it, but it does seem like quite an omnipotent thing. Again that's my opinion only.

Its seeker can pick up a fighter 20km away. 

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Just now, GGTharos said:

Its seeker can pick up a fighter 20km away. 

In DCS its 15km

HP Z400 Workstation

8 hours ago, draconus said:

Lol, I just realized that this was just released. For some reason I thought it was from way before.

Please disregard my last comment regarding this.

Edited by Cmptohocah

Cmptohocah=CMPTOHOCAH 😉