I Can't Use My Own Profile with VAICOM Pro

Goofeyfoot

I am not a telecomunications expert so please bear with me.

I use VAICOM pro with DCS.  Flying A10C.

The VAICOM Pro works fine.

But I want to add my profile "on top" of VAICOM so I can add voice commands to that.  Maybe I have 6 commands in MINE right now.  But probably I will end up with more like 20.

When I engage my profile, let's call it MINE so we don't get confused, simultaneously with VC the MINE commands are heard but they don't execute in the game.   It's like the MINE commands don't exist.  If I turn off Profile Support, of course the MINE commands work.  But once I engage Profile Support, the MINE commands don't work anymore.  I talked to Voice Attack about this, and they referred me to you.

Thanks.

Michael

I'm unsure if I understand the problem fully, as I don't know what Profile Support is. I think I get the general idea of what you're trying to do I'm just vague on the details.

I've got my own profiles working well with Vaicom, first and forgive me if you already are aware, you will have a dominant profile, in other words the profile you select to run. Most people have this as Vaicom. You then can append or "include" a profile to run with that dominant profile in the background.

The dominant profile, let's say it's Vaicom runs and the appended/piggyback profile you've added to run is the secondary, in this case MINE. What happens is any commands you issue will first be processed by Vaicom, if it cannot make any sense of it, it will then pass it to MINE where it will try to process the command. If Vaicom has a command with the same name as the word or phrase you have in MINE, Vaicom will process it and it won't be passed through.

For instance in my case I wanted to push the ENTER key on the UFC of the HORNET by saying Confirm or Affirm. When I tried to use that Vaicom would "grab" both these commands and nothing would happen. So I then had to use a different word in my "MINE" profile.

Is the Voice Attack window showing the command as unrecognized with Vaicom on but working when you use MINE on its own? I'm assuming Vaicom works without any issues.

Another experiment you could try is to make MINE the dominant or primary profile and have Vaicom as the appended or seconadary profile to see if that works. I've tried this and it does work but it was only a quick experiment so I don't know if you'll get all the functionality that Vaicom has to offer or not.

These are just some ideas, I'm not an expert and perhaps somebody with deeper knowledge will chime in.

Weegie::

Thanks for that detail. Today I will try the suggestions you have set forth. I will get back to you after that.

Thanks again.

Michael

Weegie:

I should’ve said one more thing. I have mine set up so that I use the mic switch to trigger the VAICOM instructions. The MINE profile, on the other hand doesn’t have that.

I wonder if this fact could have something to do with the issue? Or maybe that is irrelevant?

Thanks.

Michael

Weegie:

I tried to use the MINE simultaneous with VAICOM serving as the dominant profile.  I said NIGHT VISION which in MINE means turn on the night vision goggles.

Nothing happened.  VAICOM reports the event this way:

8:42:45.693 Listening suspended
8:42:45.686 Joystick : 'Transmit TX2 release'
8:42:45.272 Recognized : 'night vision' (referenced) (Confidence 82)

So we can safely say that VAICOM "recognizes" the command.  It just doesn't seem to do anything with it.

Then, if we put VAICOM in the subordinate role, with MINE as the dominant role, then the MINE commands work fine by themselves at the outset, but only up to a point.  If I first say NIGHT VISION (and I don't need to push the mic button to do that), the command executes.  But, if I later trigger the mic switch so to give a VAICOM command, then upon release of the mic switch the headphone icon on the right side of the Voice Attack panel turns red and no further MINE commands are processed from that point.

So, from a non-expert point of view it would appear that the mic switch on the VAICOM has some bearing on the problem I'm experiencing.

Again, thanks.

Michael

Hi @Goofeyfoot

Yeah I meant to add my setup and forgot, I've got my PTT Rotary Dial set to Multi on the Radio Page of the Vaicom pop up. With that setup my PTT#6 is used to speak to my MINE profile

You can have a Hot Mic or not as you prefer by clicking on the Rel Hot enable in the Vaicom popup Radio Window. When it's enabled the light will glow orange. When Rel Hot is enabled you should be able to pass commands to you're MINE profile just by saying the command, Vaicom will ignore commands until you push a PTT button. However Voice Attack will still pick up any commands that Vaicom has they just won't be enabled. So the Confirm/Affirm problem I told you about will still occur.

It doesn't matter if Vaicom is the primary/dominant profile or not pressing a PTT will open close the microphone if Vaicom is running AFAIK and Rel Hot is not enabled. So if you wanted to say something to your MINE profile you would still need to say that with a PTT pressed, the PTTs actually start and stop Voice Attack listening not Vaicom. You can see that as you've noted by pressing a PTT, when it's pressed the Headphone symbol is normal, when it's released the Headphone symbol has a red circle with a bar, showing Voice Attack is no longer listening.

With Rel Hot enabled pushing a PTT will set Vaicom listening and the MINE profle too.

From what you describe if I understand correctly I'd enable Rel Hot and try that or use a Vaicom PTT when not only addressing Vaicom but also when envoking commands from your MINE profile.

From the way I understand it you're thinking the PTTs are only for Vaicom, they are actually for Voice Attack so you need to use them to issue any command not matter if it's Vaicom or MINE, unless you have Rel Hot enabled

If any of that makes sense

John

Weegie:

I did the "Hot Mic" thing you described above and that seemed to work OK.  I just speak a MINE command without engaging a MIC and everything works OK.  Have written about 10 commands in MINE and they now all seem to work that way.  I didn't do the PTT method because I didn't really understand all that "Multi" stuff you mentioned.

Is there a video somewhere that shows all these menus and their utility?  It would be good to see a presentation that discusses not only "what" a button does buy also "why" the player might want to use it.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Glad it's working for you Michael

I believe Hollywood deserves a round of applause, not only does he offer an amazing piece of Software at a very reasonable price IMHO. He has also taken what must have been considerable time and trouble, to document it all in order that users can extract all the features that Vaicom offers. I wish other software available as add-ons for DCS had a similarly detailed manual.

It's not so complicated & well explained in the manual pages 12-14; 32-33.

That said there is quite a lot of it so it's easy to become confused (ask me how I know)

The way I look at the whole setup is like a series of layers.

The top layer Voice Attack, the program used to interpret your voice commands

The middle layer Vaicom, the plug in which interprets what's passed from Voice Attack and interfaces with DCS

The bottom layer any User Profiles like MINE.

This is just an analogy in reality it's a lot more complcated, I haven't really a clue how it works and simply consider it as Magic

Vaicom has 6 channels available, although any of them if assigned a PTT will start/stop Voice Attack listening (top layer), they have different purposes/functions within Vaicom (middle layer).

For Vaicom these channels are

1-3 - Aircraft Radios

4 - Auto - An option for use with Easy Comms

5 - Interphone - For use with the Ground Crew (when the radios aren't powered)

6 - Aux - For using another profile this is what you'd use to communicate with MINE if Rel Hot is disabled

If you look at the Radio/PTT Page in the Vaicom Pop Up, then you'll see the large PTT MAP Rotary switch. The position of the switch determines how your PTTs or buttons on the HOTAS access these 6 channels. The channels are always there the Rotary just determines how you access them

The simplest way to interface with these options is Multi, what I use, so as all the modules will use fixed PTTs. However depending on what buttons are available on your HOTAS or your personal preference you can choose another option and these are explained in the manual and what the pros/cons are of them

Probably not any clearer, but I thought it was worth a try

John

Edited by Weegie

On 12/9/2020 at 9:22 AM, Weegie said:

With Rel Hot enabled pushing a PTT will set Vaicom listening and the MINE profle too.

But VAICOM will turn off the mic upon release of the PTT if (1) you have AIRIO, and (2) are flying the Tomcat, and (3) the pilot ICS mic switch is set to Cold Mic. That's because REL HOT and the listening mode are reset to match the hot mic setting in the pilot cockpit in those circumstances. If this applies to your setting then REL HOT will be turned off dynamically every time you give a command to VAICOM, and that will prevent VA from hearing your commands from the MINE profile. To avoid that, keep the ICS mic switch set to hot mic. This isn't necessarily a problem, because if you prefer hot mic for your own commands you probably want it for Jester too.

But keep in mind that VAICOM and Jester in particular will be listening always if you take that approach, and at least in my environment that means a lot of annoying random beeping when VAICOM thinks it heard part of a command, and occasionally Jester does something I didn't command. Personally I prefer Weegie's approach of requiring a PTT for my own commands, and like him I use TX6.

• Thanks 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Never realized that @sthompson thanks for explaining

I've never encountered Jester doing unwanted stuff (yet) personally when set on Rel Hot, however most of the time I'm using TX 6 to communicate with my own profile.

It's certainly useful to know as that could easily muddy the waters still further.

@Goofeyfoot sthompson's post is about a special case specific to the Tomcat module with the optional ARIO Vaicom add on and doesn't apply to the A-10

• 1 year later...

Hope you guys can help me out. I'm trying to do the same thing in VA, running VAICOM as the default profile with my custom profile.

My VA setup has the VAICOM and my custom profile DCS_RH (which is similar to MIME):

image.png

I assigned the TX6 pair to my hotas:

VA-2.png

In VAICOM config: REL HOT is disabled:

image.png

When I press and hold TX6, immediately get listening resumed followed by Listening suspended.

VA-4.png

While ignoring the above status, I say out a command from my custom profile DCS_RH but without any respond from VA... Let me know if I've configured the VA incorrectly.

Thanks. 

5 hours ago, honeycool75 said:

Hope you guys can help me out. I'm trying to do the same thing in VA, running VAICOM as the default profile with my custom profile.

My VA setup has the VAICOM and my custom profile DCS_RH (which is similar to MIME):

image.png

I assigned the TX6 pair to my hotas:

VA-2.png

In VAICOM config: REL HOT is disabled:

image.png

When I press and hold TX6, immediately get listening resumed followed by Listening suspended.

VA-4.png

While ignoring the above status, I say out a command from my custom profile DCS_RH but without any respond from VA... Let me know if I've configured the VA incorrectly.

Thanks. 

Hi. Can you post a screenshot of your multiplayer tab? 

No need for TX6 to be used for standard VoiceAttack commands. Just use whatever TX or use REL/HOT (That's what I do). 

What's MIME? 

Any specific reason you have the dial set to multi? 

Seems to me that press/release has been swapped around if you look at the log. 

Cheers! 

8 hours ago, honeycool75 said:

VA-4.png

Thanks. 

We can't really diagnose the TX6 issue unless you show the details of your TX6 settings in VA. Are you certain that you have the TX6 press and release bindings exactly as specified in the VAICOM manual? It's not surprising that you get no response if listening is suspended before you give your command. Based on the VA screenshot your computer never heard that command.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

You didn't provide the "When I press button" detail. You can display that by pressing the button with three dots at the far right end of the "When I press button" line. For the TX6 Release command it should look like the attached screenshot. Note that only the first checkbox is checked. For the TX Press command none of the check boxes should be checked. Make sure that yours follow those rules. I suspect that you have one or both of them messed up.

Screenshot 2021-12-22 163358.png

Edited by sthompson
  • Like 1