[CORRECT AS IS]Possible INS align bug

KittyVCAW-1

The STD HDG INS alignment gives the correct heading upon completion of the alignment even after moving the aircraft from it's original location. It's my understanding that by moving the aircraft before the alignment procedure is complete, the resulting alignment would be incorrect. As the aircraft is no longer in the same orientation it was when the heading was supposedly stored to memory.

posible bug ins std hdg.trk

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to [INVESTIGATING]Possible INS align bug
  • ED Team

Hi, 

this is correct as is, moving wont stop the INS from aligning, but unless you manually update waypoint zero you will get more errors over time, or have weapons issues, so after moving the pilot should manually update the initial waypoint to ensure it is correct.

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to [CORRECT AS IS]Possible INS align bug
1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

this is correct as is, moving wont stop the INS from aligning, but unless you manually update waypoint zero you will get more errors over time, or have weapons issues, so after moving the pilot should manually update the initial waypoint to ensure it is correct.

Hi there.

I think you missunderstood the issue, or maybe Kitty did, doesn't matter. The thing here is, that moving the aircraft before even starting to align and pointing the nose to a different heading than the stored one makes absolutely no difference at all at the momento of starting to align with STD HDG boxed. IRL it will make the orientation much harder and take way more than 90 seconds because of the wrong heading the nose is actually pointing at.

In fact, IRL as you would be forcing a wrong stored heading it might not ever know the new and true north in relation to the aircraft.

Remember INS doesn't know where it is, it just knows how it is positioned in the earth and what the true north is.

Edited by Joni

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

• NineLine featured and unfeatured this topic

Hi, could you read my reply @BIGNEWY? I really think there was a missunderstanding of the issue.

Thanks.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

The easy fix for this is not to move before you align.   Why would you screw up an alignment deliberately?   Yes, you have a point, it is not what one would expect, but looking for issues like this will just stop the correction of more important issues if it is addressed.

It should be noted, but sent to the bottom of the list I would suggest.   In a couple of words, “so what?”

Just now, NeilWillis said:

The easy fix for this is not to move before you align.   Why would you screw up an alignment deliberately?   Yes, you have a point, it is not what one would expect, but looking for issues like this will just stop the correction of more important issues if it is addressed.

It should be noted, but sent to the bottom of the list I would suggest.   In a couple of words, “so what?”

I wasn't asking how to solve this. I just want realism that's all. If I see a bug I report it, that's why I'm in open beta 🙂

23 minutes ago, NeilWillis said:

I do get that, but you have to ask yourself if it is a priority, or just a very very insignificant problem in the big picture that is DCS World.   Aren’t there bigger fish to fry?

I wasnt setting or trying to establish priorities here. 

Besides, ED has gotten to a place where the amount of bugs is so overwhelming that is hard to say what is a big fish and what's not.

• ED Team

keep bug reports for bug data, discussion can be done in the main hornet area. 

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2