DCS and the Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor

Hi Guys,

Is it someone using the Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor with DCS?

I bought mine 01 month ago and I am very happy with it.

I am mostly flying on the Mi-8 and I really enjoy the panoramic view, it's just a little bit tricky with the track-IR but it's still ok.

It could be interesting to share our setting in DCS for this monitor.

If anyone is interested, shoot !

• Razorback changed the title to DCS and the Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor

i have the same monitor but i am a newbie to dcs. the aspect ratio is outrageously out of proportion. i do not even know how to adjust on anything! i don't have a clue right now where to go get help! 

it is just let you out in the wild and fend for yourself!

I will follow this post.
Why do you say it is out of proportion?

Hi Guys,
Is it someone using the Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor with DCS?
I bought mine 01 month ago and I am very happy with it.
I am mostly flying on the Mi-8 and I really enjoy the panoramic view, it's just a little bit tricky with the track-IR but it's still ok.
It could be interesting to share our setting in DCS for this monitor.
If anyone is interested, shoot !

What is tricky with the track-ir?

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

In your installation folder:

...Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\F14\Docs...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

15 hours ago, VirusAM said:

What is tricky with the track-ir?

The zoom is not perfect.

My screen is placed, as advised, at 1m distance from my head and I have to change the default view (center the Track-IR) regurarly...
I have to admit that the top of the screen is a little bit to high compared to my head.

On the Mi-8, the dashboard of the copilot is also a little bit distorded and larger than normal when you are the pilot and that you are looking forward (I will post a scrrenshot.

16 hours ago, Toozer1t said:

i meant the aspect ration is off. circles (gages, cockpit) are very oblong in shape. i am not even using trackir yet. that'll be later on.

where do i get the f14-a/b manual?

Are you sure to be using the correct aspect ratio?

In the DCS settings menu you can select the aspect ratio.

I have used a 49" monitor in the past, and i remember that everything was spectacular...and no aspect ratio issues that i remember of

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

I am not sure that the aspect ratio is correct, that's why I post my settings screen. Any advice is more than welcome !

I tried with other aspect ration in the settings of DCS but it was no differences.

The current aspect ration 3.5555555 = 32:9

Thxxxxx

my settings.jpg

screenshot.jpg

Edited by Razorback

everything seems correct to me, including the ratio in your screenshot...
Anyway I am really hyped for this monitor...

5120/1440 = 3,555555555555556

So I can confirm that this should be the correct setting

Edited by VirusAM
  • Thanks 1

Yes I just watched the Hardware Unblocked review of this monitor. Looks quite interesting indeed... I won't use it in DCS since I fly in VR, but for other games the immersion much be breath-taking 😎 

That being said, the screenshots look fine: aspect ratio is correct also the dials seem ok to me.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Plus, the actual G9 screen has a pretty strong curve so I'd presume the image looks less stretched than in 2D if positioned close enough.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

• 10 months later...

I have a 38 inch LG curved ultra-wide monitor that’s 3840 X 1600 with a 21:9 aspect ratio, HDR, 175 Hz refresh rate, and 1ms response time. I feel like 21:9 aspect ratio is the perfect balance between width and height for flight simulators.

With that said, I’ve been eyeing the Samsung 49” super ultra-wide G9 and the newer Samsung Neo G9 Gaming DQHD Quantum Mini-LED Monitor. I’m sure the 49” display is amazing, but my only concern is narrow FOV with a 32:9 aspect ratio. For general gaming, it’s no problem, but I’m flight simulators it’s important to be able to see out of the windshield of the aircraft and also the cockpit displays instruments. I feel like the 32:9 will be too narrow to see the cockpit and see out the windshield at the same time, unless you zoom out so much that you can’t read the displays. The 49” 32:9 displays gives you a super wide horizontal FOV, but I feel like your sacrificing the vertical view. 

But I’m just speculating based on the numbers. I’ve never played DCS or MSFS 2020 on a 49” 32:9 display. For you guys who have this monitor, do you find the narrow FOV limiting at all?

• 1 year later...

After 3 years playing with my G9 with trackir, i've come to conclusion that it's hurting my gameplay. First it feels like to have blinders in front of you, you constantly have to zoom out or move more my head. For trackIR i've modified my profile to have an different acceleration in vertical or horizontal to match the same head movement depending the x or y. For FOV, i've ajusted the normal view at max zoom out. I'm using the G9 with a RTX3090, most of the settings on high, no lags. I don't know if i'm changing the monitor cause even if I most play DCS, I play some other games but even in 2023 most of the games are not supported for 32:9 like the G9. It's a niche monitor, for DCS it's not optimal and for other games it's a gamble. Las t exemple with the NVG, the game dosen't handle the layer at 32:9 ratio, leaving you with something really small in comparaison with the horizontal view.

• 1 month later...

I have the G9 and its great. It does take some getting use to. The curve is something else. I have mine at abut 3ft-4ft away on a vesa mount. Track IR does perfectly fine with it. If you mount it to the wall, just have a friend help you so you can sit in your chair and get the height right. I will say they short screen height is not to my liking, but you will get use to it. I have a 5900x w 64gb ram and a 6900xt pushing it. No problems with the eye candy maxed. Its a personal preference thing really. If you like it, thats all that matters. If ya dont either return it if you can or sell it and try something else.

Later Tater