DX SHIFT FUNCTION

lee1hy

PINK SHIFT button that supports a virtual SHIFT key by supporting the PINKY switch in DCS. This is a very handy feature in BMS. Regardless of reality, requesting addition of a virtual SHIFT PINKY button in consideration of desktop pc JOYSTICK

setup directly requests virtual shift pinky button

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

1 hour ago, Bumblefox said:

Can’t you already achieve that by setting a button up as a Modifier in the DCS controls menu?

Yes... Yes you can.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure, you can use anything as a Shift state switch if you want to give up a joystick button (or a keystroke), and DCS is easier than BMS to do this, but keeping it "real", the usual suspects on a TM Warthog stick (for example) both have functions IRL, so you have to compromise. If you also have a throttle, there is usually a spare button to use a shift or to reeplace the function lost by using the pinky switch or paddle on your stick. If you don't have a throttle, get one.

In BMS, I use the Target Script editor to add a Long and Short hold function to the paddle switch so it can function as a shift if held for half a second or as a AP override if held for longer.

Use the Tempo command in this example to Produce F12 on a short press, and act as the normal  button 4 Paddle switch. if held longer :-

MapKey(&Joystick, S4, TEMPO(F12, DX4, 500));

I use the red button on the back of the left hand warthog throttle as my "Shift" and I have bound all the stick controls to do other things with that pressed down.

CMS for instance does this:
Forward = F1 View
Backwards = F10 Map
Left = F2 External View
Right = F6 Released Weapon

Shift-first stage trigger resets my VR centre position
Shift pinky button toggles lables
Shift DMS is all kneeboard controls (hide/show, next previous etc)
Shift MSL Step brings up or hides the Breifing, Surprisingly handy when your're trying to find a freq.
Shift TMS UP/Down are the two top left MFD buttons on the left MFD, just so I can cycle radar range quickly in TWS mode, or change the zoom on the HSD, depending on what I have there.
Shift TMS Right/Left is the ICP steerpoint rocker ip/down, so I can quickly cycle between steerpoints.

Shift Trim hat left/right does rudder trim as well.

There are a few ideas.

NOTE: apart from the TMS bindings these shift controls are the same across all my modules so they are second nature to me. Really help in VR I find. 

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team
On 12/10/2020 at 2:15 PM, lee1hy said:

PINK SHIFT button that supports a virtual SHIFT key by supporting the PINKY switch in DCS. This is a very handy feature in BMS. Regardless of reality, requesting addition of a virtual SHIFT PINKY button in consideration of desktop pc JOYSTICK

setup directly requests virtual shift pinky button

It's in game, read the manual. You can add your own modfiers. I have the exact same controls layout on my X52 in DCS as in the other sim. In fact you can do more in DCS, cause you can have as many modifier keys and buttons as you want, you can have latched modifier keys (I mapped caps lock that way for A-10C to swap between normal controls and keyboard CDU input), you can mix button and keyboard shift keys, you can shift keyboard with buttons and vice versa. The posibilites are endless and once you run out, you can edit the input .lua files to get even more advanced functionality than UI provides.

On 1/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, mkiii said:

Sure, you can use anything as a Shift state switch if you want to give up a joystick button (or a keystroke), and DCS is easier than BMS to do this, but keeping it "real", the usual suspects on a TM Warthog stick (for example) both have functions IRL, so you have to compromise. If you also have a throttle, there is usually a spare button to use a shift or to reeplace the function lost by using the pinky switch or paddle on your stick. If you don't have a throttle, get one.

In BMS, I use the Target Script editor to add a Long and Short hold function to the paddle switch so it can function as a shift if held for half a second or as a AP override if held for longer.

Use the Tempo command in this example to Produce F12 on a short press, and act as the normal  button 4 Paddle switch. if held longer :-

MapKey(&Joystick, S4, TEMPO(F12, DX4, 500));

The Warthog has one additional stick input compared to the F-16 stick, which is CMS z-axis. You can map everything on that stick to its real F-16 functions and still have an input to spare for shifting.

Edited by m4ti140

Not everyone uses 500$ TM. DX FUNTION allows you to shift the buttons of virtual devices and INPUT devices directly without a joystick program. This does not mean that DCS is bad. It would be very convenient if added.

kim_123456#3214

49 minutes ago, lee1hy said:

Not everyone uses 500$ TM. DX FUNTION allows you to shift the buttons of virtual devices and INPUT devices directly without a joystick program. This does not mean that DCS is bad. It would be very convenient if added.

We know what you want, but it works differently in DCS.

Go into the control options and click on "Modifiers" on the bottom. Click "Add" and set up the button you want to use for the shift function.

Press the button while mapping controls and the modifier will be added.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fudabidu said:

We know what you want, but it works differently in DCS.

Go into the control options and click on "Modifiers" on the bottom. Click "Add" and set up the button you want to use for the shift function.

Press the button while mapping controls and the modifier will be added.

Thanks ! a lot helped

kim_123456#3214