F-2?

ruddy122

The JASDF F-2 is a block C F-16 with slightly bigger wings and a three piece canopy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

LUCKY:pilotfly::joystick:

Computer Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz| GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 6Gb | RAM: 32 GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | OS: Win 10 64 bit | HD: 500 Gb SSD

20 hours ago, ruddy122 said:

The JASDF F-2 is a block C F-16 with slightly bigger wings and a three piece canopy

also known as a completly different plane that requires a complete re-write of the current F-16 code and a ton of docs that aren't currently available from what i know.

• Like 7

The F-2 is a very different plane then the regular f-16. With that said documentation on the flight control system, wind tunnel tests, flight testing exist. Information on at least the earliest version of the J/APG-1 was shared with us companies through the department of commerce as part of the technology transfer agreement though I am unsure how to go about getting it. I know of at least one person who has a pilots manual though I don’t know how to get one. So it’s totally possible with the documentation that exists it’s more getting a team together to do it.

• Like 3

Before any aircraft can even be considered for development a license must first be obtained. Having a license also allows for easy access to all of the required data from the manufacturer themselves.   Even remote control aircraft manufacturers are bound to this restriction to point.

I would love an F-2, or even an F-1, failing that (it's a bit of an obscure bird, but cool and unique in its own way). My guess is that nobody seems interested because these aircraft aren't really all that well known outside Japan, which isn't really much of a market for a PC flight simulator. Japanese gaming is dominated by mobile and console games, so PC flight sims are a niche market within a niche market when it comes to Japan. I think dealing with Mitsubishi wouldn't be an issue (if nothing else, because Ace Combat got them all comfortable with the idea of their aircraft being in a game 🙂 ), but finding a developer willing to take the risk would be.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 6:14 PM, ruddy122 said:

Like TLTeo stated, it was the first fighter with AESA. So no, it is NOT a block C.

The Japanese Ministry of Defense has a hard-rule about destroying manuals and tech data of retired aircraft, and sure as hell won't release documents on current service jets. I am unable to even find manuals or other documents pertaining to the F-1 or related T-2 trainer jets, which are long retired. 

Edited by Nealius

The Japanese is VERY secretive about their OWN military equipment and does not even do much on exports...I believe they are even worse than Russian when it comes to getting info on THEIR military jets...equipments etc...at least, hard info.

The one we could even HOPE for would be the Japanese Mitsubishi F-1. The F-2 is too advanced and still in service, one can only hope for a AI 3D model of it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

高機動機体形状の動的揚力特性の研究 (1997)
戦闘機形状の大迎角における風洞試験 (1995) 

Allegedly these are the names of the papers reporting the results of the F-2s wind tunnel testing.

Saijyo Takashi is listed as the author. His name is also listed in “XF-2 Aerodynamic design” as one of the programs aerodynamicists. I’m gunna try to get my hands on both and report back. I also am working with someone to get that J/apg-1 flight test report. I’ll report back when I know more.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So these seem to be the documents held by the US government that we can get(a few are mixed in we cannot). They had other documents including a manual, wind tunnel, flight test, and breakdown of the fly by wire but these are export controlled and or proprietary information so I don’t intend to make any requests for them. As you can see some of these are hundreds or even thousands of pages.

two other documents I am also trying to get are a U.S. government trip report to MELCO that includes flight test data on the J/APG-1 Engineering model. That’s provisional hardware but it would be very useful in figuring out the scanning algorithms (this has been largely the obstacle with implementation of AESA in flight sims) and a follow up report which has the specifications of the T/R modules on the final production radar.

J/APG-1 is fox 1 only (AIM-7F/M) so no AAM-4, but it still the aircraft I grew up loving. I would at least like to start a mod when I get some of these. Fox 3 missiles were fairly uncommon in east Asia till the late 2000s anyway. Also this version of the F-2 was a support fighter first so the primary mission is ship hunting.

FOIA_UL_Bib_2023-96.numbers

On 12/29/2020 at 5:13 AM, Dragon89 said:

It sure is. They basically showed the US how to make better F-16s.

The F-2 started life as a General Dynamics proposal to the USAF for a “super F-16”. The US wasn’t interested in the proposal,  but Tokyo was and took it forward. Retired Colonel John Boyd even consulted for Mitsubishi Heavy industries on what became the F-2 project. Incidentally, the wing area increase Colonel Boyd tried to push on the missionized USAF F-16 (but was overruled by Gen. Slays committee) was applied on the Japanese F-2, so spec for spec it’ll easily outperform a clean F-16 Viper.  

Don’t let the looks fool anyone: an F-2 module is a ground up aircraft project. Not only is the airframe physically different and performs differently from the F-16, the Japanese spec avionics and weapons would need to be modeled. The JASDF uses indigenous AAMs (short range and BVR) and locally developed air to ground/anti ship weapons. I seriously doubt Tokyo would sign off on anyone developing accurate models of those weapons or avionics. 

1 hour ago, Kalasnkova74 said:

The F-2 started life as a General Dynamics proposal to the USAF for a “super F-16”. The US wasn’t interested in the proposal,  but Tokyo was and took it forward. Retired Colonel John Boyd even consulted for Mitsubishi Heavy industries on what became the F-2 project. Incidentally, the wing area increase Colonel Boyd tried to push on the missionized USAF F-16 (but was overruled by Gen. Slays committee) was applied on the Japanese F-2, so spec for spec it’ll easily outperform a clean F-16 Viper.  

Don’t let the looks fool anyone: an F-2 module is a ground up aircraft project. Not only is the airframe physically different and performs differently from the F-16, the Japanese spec avionics and weapons would need to be modeled. The JASDF uses indigenous AAMs (short range and BVR) and locally developed air to ground/anti ship weapons. I seriously doubt Tokyo would sign off on anyone developing accurate models of those weapons or avionics. 

The worst thing that would happen if someone asked for help is they get told no.