Refuelling pods!

degoe

Yeah, only on Super Hornets.

Plus, to me it looks like buddy-stores as a loadout option might be something that will require improvements to DCS' engine or something. This purely based on the fact that the S-3 has a dedicated tanking variant in DCS, whereas IRL the S-3B and the S-3B Tanker is the exact same aircraft, just that the latter has a buddy-store for refuelling. It should just be one variant with the buddy-store available as a loadout option, should it not?

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

7 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Yeah, only on Super Hornets.

Plus, to me it looks like buddy-stores as a loadout option might be something that will require improvements to DCS' engine or something. This purely based on the fact that the S-3 has a dedicated tanking variant in DCS, whereas IRL the S-3B and the S-3B Tanker is the exact same aircraft, just that the latter has a buddy-store for refuelling. It should just be one variant with the buddy-store available as a loadout option, should it not?

Why is it an issue when you can choose one or the other anyway?   It might be a different approach, but it does keep it simple for mission writing.   Or do you expect the AWACS guys to double up and do both tasks in the same mission?   I don't expect they ever do that in reality do they?

On 12/12/2020 at 5:35 AM, NeilWillis said:

Why is it an issue when you can choose one or the other anyway?   It might be a different approach, but it does keep it simple for mission writing.

No I meant that having buddy-stores as a loadout option might be something DCS doesn't support, given that it has a dedicated tanker variant that is the exact same aircraft with a buddy-store.

How it should be IMO is we have 1 S-3B variant, and have the buddy-store as a loadout option, as that's closer to reality. It's a minor nitpick yes, but given it's like this way I'm presuming buddy-stores aren't implemented as an actual loadout option, but have to be more hard coded onto a special variant. I hope I might be mistaken, but this will be important if we ever get an aircraft that can equip buddy-stores as well as something else (such as the Super Hornet, Mirage F-1EE (in development), as well as numerous others).

Or do you expect the AWACS guys to double up and do both tasks in the same mission?   I don't expect they ever do that in reality do they?

I, what?

I don't expect an S-3B on a refuelling mission to also be flying a direct combat mission too... That wasn't my point.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

No I meant that having buddy-stores as a loadout option might be something DCS doesn't support, given that it has a dedicated tanker variant that is the exact same aircraft with a buddy-store.

How it should be IMO is we have 1 S-3B variant, and have the buddy-store as a loadout option, as that's closer to reality. It's a minor nitpick yes, but given it's like this way I'm presuming buddy-stores aren't implemented as an actual loadout option, but have to be more hard coded onto a special variant.

I think you're right, considering that the aircraft type is different than the normal S-3 in the ME, it shows up as a tanker in the comms menu, has its own specific dialog options etc

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

6 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

How it should be IMO is we have 1 S-3B variant, and have the buddy-store as a loadout option, as that's closer to reality. It's a minor nitpick yes, but given it's like this way I'm presuming buddy-stores aren't implemented as an actual loadout option, but have to be more hard coded onto a special variant. I hope I might be mistaken, but this will be important if we ever get an aircraft that can equip buddy-stores as well as something else (such as the Super Hornet, Mirage F-1EE (in development), as well as numerous others). 

I, what?

I don't expect an S-3B on a refuelling mission to also be flying a direct combat mission too... That wasn't my point.

The point being, if you have 2 separate roles, why need stores options if you select an airframe based on role?   Should we get a Super Hornet, of course, it's a different animal entirely.

On 12/12/2020 at 3:12 PM, NeilWillis said:

The point being, if you have 2 separate roles, why need stores options if you select an airframe based on role?   Should we get a Super Hornet, of course, it's a different animal entirely.

The reason for me is it's one less thing to be on the unit list, especially when they are the exact same aircraft and variant (it's a minor nit-pick sure, but it'll end up being important if we get modules capable of operating with buddy-stores) - it's an unnecessary duplicate. I'd understand if the 'S-3B Tanker' were a separate variant, but it's not.

It's almost like having an aircraft listed that can only do A/A and then have a separate variant (that's the exact same aircraft) that can only do A/G as if you need something separate hardcoded as one but not the other.

Aircraft can already be filtered based on role, and loadouts can be exported and filtered for different roles; it's like this for every single aircraft apart from the S-3B, (of course apart from aircraft that only have a single role, such as AEW aircraft for instance).

All it means is that you place an aircraft, select role as 'refuelling' pick the S-3B and pick the loadout (there are only 2 options for an S-3B for aerial refuelling, buddy-store (D-704), and buddy-store with external tank).

We are getting the F1EE (even if it's a fair way off) that AFAIK capable of serving as a refuelling platform using a buddy-store, so it's important that buddy-stores can be implemented as a store in the loadout editor and doesn't necessitate a dedicated duplicate aircraft.

Edited by Northstar98
formatting
  • Like 1

System:

On 12/12/2020 at 3:12 PM, NeilWillis said:

It seems you completely missed the point of his post. He wasn't complaining that it's two different aircraft. He was simply suggesting it as evidence that refuelling pods might not currently be possible in the game engine.

On 12/15/2020 at 8:43 PM, Sabre_Ewan said:

It seems you completely missed the point of his post. He wasn't complaining that it's two different aircraft. He was simply suggesting it as evidence that refuelling pods might not currently be possible in the game engine.

Well, to be fair it was both. I am complaining about having 2 separate aircraft (even when they're completely identical) as it's an unnecessary duplicate, and if I'm right, it will become a problem if we ever get player modules capable of equipping buddy-stores (such as the WIP F1EE by Aerges).

They kinda support each other, because if buddy-stores were implemented as a loadout option a dedicated tanker variant that's otherwise identical apart from carrying a buddy-store

But yes, my main point was that this might be evidence that buddy-store refuelling pods as an actual store might be something that isn't implemented in DCS, otherwise having a tanker variant that's an identical aircraft with a buddy-store would be completely redundant.

In an ideal world you'd just have one aircraft (S-3B) and equip it with a buddy-store in the loadout editor, and have the communications menu tied to role.  

Edited by Northstar98
formatting

System: