DCS vs. H.A.W.X

zakobi

DCS - for gamers who like to fly combat aircrafts

HAWX - for gamers who like to play with combat aircrafts

hmm...

I have arcadish fighterjet games on my mobile :)

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Anyone whos been waiting for a realistic SIM knows about that one.

Very ambitious and good intentions but I will be an old man when it comes out, if ever.

Aye - here's hopin' that FO comes before Arthritis!

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Looks like air-quake to me. Pathetic from a realims stand point but it's a starting point for simmers-to-be so all in all I believe it's a good thing.

i7-2600k@4GHz, 8GB, R9 280X 3GB, SSD, HOTAS WH, Pro Flight Combat Pedals, TIR5

I'd agree that the peripherals available for a console do rather limit it's usefulness as a true simulation rig at present - but it need not always be the case.

There was one console flightsim that had a limited edition version of the Saitek X45 produced to go with it. And if clickable cockpits start to take off, then the keyboard/mouse combination could perfectly well be replaced by some other form of controller.

On technology . . . . well I don't know about you, but my PC doesn't have a Blu-ray drive, an 8-core processor, gyroscopic controllers or HDMI output. In some respects consoles are well ahead of PC technology.

The graphics on my PS3 for GT5 blow anything my PC can do into the weeds.

So while a PC is the best choice for a simmer right now . . . it need not always be the case :)

Indeed. Compare the system requirements of PC game and the sytems specs of a console that can run a copy of that game that looks just as good -- and do it a constant frame rate. Consoles benefit A CRAP LOAD from the largely proprietary hardware and integrated operating systems that make them a "console". This counts for more than you might think. I learned this lesson when I started to compare the original Xbox's specs with some of its PC ports.

I'd hate to say it, and i don't want to insight a flame war.

But a console will never have the ability of a computer until a console becomes a computer.

it was never done. but your assumption could be false the day when ED will release an iso of "DCS for Xbox 360" ...

Anything is possible. as far as it doesnt eat more than 490MB of ram...

Todays console technology is yesterdays computers ability.

right, but yesterday, i already played sim . the day before yesterday , i was too ...

Consoles have never AFAIK produced anything remotely resembling a correct simulation.

right, see #1

Console programming is locked and does not allow for tweaking and extraction of information to secondary devices.

Therefore you are not able to make a pit and export the information to MFD's like you can in a computer.

i don't understand ? all is about harddrive and device driver. keyboard too , but , theoricaly ,all is possible. it has a cpu , a RAM array , an harddrive, an operationg system. the only thing missing is ... customers .

Therefore, no matter what any console person says. A console will never ever be able to simulate in, not even in the ballpark area of what can be accomplished with a well programmed PC sim run on a PC

It is just not possible.

Also, i have seen the trailers for it and it looks crap

entirely false. no one has ever did it. i means, on mainstream market.

on niche sim gaming. but it's not "undoable".

I think the main problem is, that most people think a game on a console can only be controlled by the few buttons and stick on the gamepad.

Think again. You can also connect a keyboard to most modern consoles and you can also link up complex gaming-devices like pretty realistic wheels and pedals to a console (like most devices from Logitech do for years, now!).

Why do you think a console cannot run a simulation with these?

The one thing that differs a console from a PC is the user.

The typical PC user knows at least something about his machine and uses it for all kind of stuff and is ready to deal with complex games.

The typical console user prefers to click a switch, play and have fun.

So the main reason why it doesn't make sense to build a Simulation for a console is the marketing.

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

That's probably too much of a conspiracy theory, but isn't it possible that HAWX being released at about the same time as BS isn't just a coincidence, but purposely timed by UBI, sort of as a punishment of the "seceded kid" by digging off a part of the market?!? I mean they advertise it as a flight simulation, even with some emphasis on scalability and realism, as you can see when you browse through their site. Sure, there isn't any common ground between both titles (anyone seen cockpit screenshots so far?), but maybe people who aren't that well informed won't notice that.

My favorite statement:

ROFLMAO, soo ridiculous :megalol:

. . . I think that's too much of a conspiracy theory ;)

The chances of Black Shark stealing sales from HAWX are infinitesimal . . . and vice versa.

HAWX could never be a realistic helicopter sim, and Black Shark could never be external-view airquake.

But let me be the first to go out on a limb and say that actually, that screenshot looks awesome fun . . .

Screenshot is very funny, for funny a'la simmers :D

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Nah, that's no afterburners, the engine is on fire! :D

Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H | i7 4470k @ 4.5 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 @ 2.133 Ghz | GTX 1080 | LG 55" @ 4K | Cougar 1000 W | Creative X-Fi Ti | TIR5 | CH HOTAS (with BU0836X-12 Bit) + Crosswind Pedals | Win10 64 HP | X-Keys Pro 20 & Pro 54 | 2x TM MFD

erm...because it would be a bad idea to use it during vtol operations (bad for wheels and such)?

Harrier doesn't carry enough fuel to make it practical?

A normal takeoff in a harrier with reheat would screw up the runway?

ALSO: My rather hasty research has revealed that the pcb on the pegasus was fitted to the forward nozel, so you would definitely have to worry very hard about hot gasses being recycled through the intakes more than normal.

erm...because it would be a bad idea to use it during vtol operations?

Harrier doesn't carry enough fuel to make it practical?

A normal takeoff in a harrier with reheat would screw up the runway?

ALSO: My rather hasty research has revealed that the pcb on the pegasus was fitted to the forward nozel, so you would definitely have to worry very hard about hot gasses being recycled through the intakes more than normal.

Pretty much sums it up :)

The most critical moment for thrust in a VTOL aircraft is generally takeoff or landing - precisely the points when you can't use afterburners. VTOL aircraft have to be at a T/W of 1 at takeoff anyway (that's VTOL, not STOVL), so they're not usually short of thrust for maneuvres.

The weight of the fuel to feed your afterburner is a big penalty at that point.

The Russians got around this by using metal runways (and melting the runway at Farnborough), the F-35 gets around this by using the big lift-fan to generate lots of dry thrust, and the X-32 . . . actually, I don't know about the X-32.

To take a wild guess, extensive use of composites to keep the weight down, and rather more advanced engine technology than was available in the 60's.

• 3 weeks later...

6 months after release

Tom Clancy's HAWX 1.1: HUZZAH! - blockbuster expansion pack!

year after release...

no support

• Like 1

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

Come on people it's Tom Clancy we're talking about, since when they're making sims?

All Clancy's are mambo jambo only... nothing to compare... it's like try to compare fart and the rock...

Edited by Peyoteros

‎"Eagle Dynamics" - simulating human madness since 1991

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

well,even in AC series,every plane has it's own cockpit,but AC is still not a sim game.

look at this screenshot:

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/dor/objects/966360/tom-clancys-hawx/images/tom-clancys-hawx-20080710044240384.html

a Su-37 with 44 missiles??

if ubi always thinks that cloning others' successful ideas is the only way of making big money,fine.

let's wait and see the result.

Edited by SEAL

• 5 months later...

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3981007546/m/3071096766/p/1

UPDATE 11.11.2008

Will there be realistic payloads?

During campaign, because of the intense action that our game wants to offer, the payloads will not be realistic. However, we do have in plan a multiplayer team deathmatch option that, when selected, will allow players to play the game using realistic payloads and realistic damage.

UPDATE 16.12.2008

Will there be realistic weapon performance/BVR/stealth in multiplayer games?

You will be able to select options in order to change weapon loadout/realistic damage; you will also be able to use radar guided missiles for BVR and stealth with the planes that have this ability.

Will there be an option for realistic weapon loadouts for free flight?

Since in free flight mode you won’t encounter any adversaries, you won’t be able to choose realistic loadouts in this mode.

UPDATE 19.12.2008

Will there be chaffs?

The planes will be equipped with flares that also work as chaffs versus radar guided missiles.