DCS high RAM usage issue

jackmckay

On 12/12/2020 at 4:50 PM, Flappie said:

Depending on the mission (and therefore, the map), DCS requires a PC equiped with 32 GB of RAM. See here.

Thanks on reply. I got that clear but still it isnt the same FPS as before latest update even with 32GB of RAM.

Tip: reducing terrain textures to low helps freeing lot of RAM.

Isnt that FPS drop a texture issue somehow?

Also I notticed that DCS folder has many duplicate/simmilar texture files scattered around modules and module packs.

What if there's some lightweight and centralised texture option?

• 2 weeks later...

Seconded. Since two patches ago RAM usage has spiked enormously, especially on the Syria map.  I use VR, 32gb ram and never got close to maxing out.  Now on multiplayer servers I'm hitting 100% regularly.

Causes huge FPS drops and other issues.  No settings changes on my side and I've tried clearing out the shaders.

i7700K, 32GB Ram, 2080TI, Index VR

UPDATE:  Attempted Steam VR beta - and it wouldn't render the cockpits on multiplayer servers.  It took almost 30 seconds for the cockpit to appear!!!!  Very very odd.  Also odd is that windows only shows half the ram in processes view, but Performance shows normal.  Settings below, Pixel Density 1.0

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Jarhead_SGT
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/24/2020 at 4:22 PM, Jarhead_SGT said:

Hoping someone has a magical cure LOL 🙂

Yes. Lower latency + proper paging files settings and your bandwidth will be freeer for your gaming for the same capacity, there is no secret here, when your RAM is not well bounded to your CPU, it works slower, the CPU controller throttles down and it affects every bus. It's called a bottleneck.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

10 minutes ago, Thinder said:

Yes. Lower latency + proper paging files settings and your bandwidth will be freeer for your gaming for the same capacity, there is no secret here, when your RAM is not well bounded to your CPU, it works slower, the CPU controller throttles down and it affects every bus. It's called a bottleneck.

Oh Rapture, Thinder has found the cure from everyone’s high ram usage problem. 
Thanks for finally giving us all the fix we have been looking for for several years!! 
regards.

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

42 minutes ago, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

Oh Rapture, Thinder has found the cure from everyone’s high ram usage problem. 
Thanks for finally giving us all the fix we have been looking for for several years!! 
regards.

LOL! I wish I had given it to you but, bummer, you still have to work for it and it's not free.

It's not a problem of capacity but how fast the data filling your RAM can be recycled, so de facto, you need to find a ballance between frequency and latency, what your CPU controller can cope with, how it handles it, it's different between Intel, AMD or older Ryzens who prefer frequencies to latency for example, that is up to 3200 MHz.

In short, you can have a 50l tank, if your drain is of a slmaller diameter than the tap, you have a problem regardless of the capacity of the tank.

As a thumb rule, even with 32Gb of RAM, if your RAM is well bounded to your CPU you will notice simply because for the same amount of data to process coming from the CPU, there will be less at a given time to be processed by the RAM because it will do it faster and the CPU will not throttle down and strangle the buses, limiting the amount of data the whole system can process.

For a gaming PC, the best is to start by allocating a different disk to your paging files and background apps after having disabled all those you don't use, Windows will not clutter your RAM during gaming if it has its own paging files in a different disk to work with.

Then best for Intel and AMD might be different but controllers limitations are the same and the indication of that is given by the recommanded frequency, both 3200 Mhz, but for Intel users, I recommand that you do some serious research work in Intel forums and ask people about their own experience, that's how I figured how to remove the RAM bottleneck on my Ryzen.

Then number of ranks per stick, more than 4 ranks and the controller will also strugle, more to it, with 1 X 4 ranks you get interleaving and it does help the CPU further.

Using more RAM and/or higher frequencies is absolutly no guaranty of gain, first it depends on the silicon lottery, if you're lucky your CPU might handle a slightly higher frequency than that exactly same of your pal although it remains to be seen what the gain will be under load, because this is when the sh!t hits the fan.

Edited by Thinder
  • Like 1

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

!

Edited by Thinder