Filing a complaint. AV-8B without fuel , and silent engine, does not deadstick very well. Too susceptible to pull of gravity.

DmitriKozlowsky

Given the number of other issues Razbam has to fix (theres rather a lot) this seems a bit of an odd thing to ‘file’ a complaint with, also (and be honest) how many times have you ever run out of gas?

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

I'm assuming this is a joke post, but in the unlikely event that it's not, there is no "dead sticking" a Harrier. 

If you run out of fuel, your engine dies. If your engine dies, your hydraulic pumps stop working, and whatever pressure is left in your accumulators must be spent leveling the aircraft and preparing for ejection, because you're going to lose all control authority very soon.

Poe's Law seems to be making its way to DCS.

• Like 2

I jest , of course. Love the Harrier and RAZBAM. But I am still trying to argue with simulated laws of physics and aerodynamics. If USAF/NASA pilots could dead stick X-15, F-104, and Shuttle Orbiter, there has to be an aerodynamic survival formula for Harrier. The Laws are winning, for now. 25-0 score.

My starting parameters are;

Clean Harrier 1200 lbs of fuel, 420 KIAS, 10K AGL, no engine, windmilling only.  Without power Harrier has flying qualities of a washing machine.

Aircraft has in-flight start capability. If the only procedure for loss of engine power in forward flight is ejection, why even have in-flight start systems for engine. Engine surging and compressor stalls are , rare events, but common enough that pilots are trained to deal with both, by in-flight engine restart.

31 minutes ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Aircraft has in-flight start capability. If the only procedure for loss of engine power in forward flight is ejection, why even have in-flight start systems for engine. Engine surging and compressor stalls are , rare events, but common enough that pilots are trained to deal with both, by in-flight engine restart.

IIRC that is the reason why restart requires a minimum altitude... and that was quite high. Aerodynamics and weight of the AV-8B is more pointing towards a glide path of a brick, than a glider. 😉

• Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

7 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

It certainly does, and I took the risk of simplifying because I couldn't tell if the post was serious, but you have a certain amount of time to keep the engine windmilling and maintain *some* hydraulic pressure in the accumulators while you attempt to airstart the engine. 

Once these opportunities have passed though, there are no mechanical linkages or reversion options for "gliding it in." If you can't get the engine relit, maneuvering the aircraft into a safe ejection speed/altitude/attitude is about the only option with whatever control authority you have left.