Reverb G2 setup issues (standalone DCS, not the steam version)

MEDIC - v312

Hi everyone,

I'm having issues starting DCS with the Reverb G2. I used to have the Oculus Rift S and never had any issues. Now with the G2 I can't even get DCS started properly.

At first, when starting from steamvr, the program would start, but in the headset I would never leave the steamvr environment. Then eventually I did get it to load DCS in the headset by just starting the program itself, not starting it from steam, but thenI'd still get a steamvr overlay that says 'waiting' which doesn't disappear, even after DCS started into the main menu. Last time I tried I did manage to get myself flying in the headset, but the picture was still in 2D and lagging really really hard. Lagging so hard I would see different percentages of the loading screen simultaneously. The screen is constanly flickering and the image is moving around every time I move my head. It's lagging behind my head movement and also lagging in pictures, literally lagging 2secs or something. At some point I did notice that somehow the GPU was completely maxed out on both GPU core and GPU memory. Even after closing DCS memory usage was still at 59% whilst I had nothing else open but the VR stuff. I took the following steps:

-installed steam

-installed steamvr

-installed WMR for steamvr (enabled beta mode)

-added DCS standalone as an 'external' app into steam and added it to the VR list

-starting from steam, then steamvr, then just starting DCS itself. The latter gaves the best result in terms of actually loading into the game and into a flight, but the lag was horrendous and it remained a 2D image.

video drivers and windows are all updated.

Anyone please able to help?

My specs:

-intell i7 9700K

-RTX2080 Ti

-32 gb 3200 RAM

-asrock z390 phantom gaming 9 mobo

Edited by MEDIC - v312

nobody able to help?

Now my headset won't even turn on whenever I start DCS. I removed the standalone DCS from steam. I start WMR, I start DCS and automatically steamvr starts as well. However, the screen just stays black. For some reason even in the main menu both my GPU core and memory shoot to 97%+. I get multiple images through each other, the "DCS waiting" from the steamvr environment never disappears and I'm not able to do anything. The menu is just in 2D, I see part of the mig29 from the main menu, but that's it. Notrhing happens. Just flickering images of the main menu. Anyone please able to help?

I have Steam/Steam VR, WMR, and WMR for Steam VR Beta.

Here is the process I use to start:

I pick up headset, WMR automatically launches. I close WMR.

I then launch my WMR for SteamVR Beta. This launches WMR, Steam, and Steam VR,

I put headset on resting above my eyes.

I then launch my shortcut to DCS.exe from my desktop.

I lower the headset, and wait for the game to launch in the headset. Will take a few moments. Obviously you will need to have VR checked in the DCS options menu.

Once successfully launched in your headset, you should be good to go. You should not have any serious lag.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...

i7700k not overclocked, 32 memory, 2080 ti

Not found out yet best way to start DCS for G2. Loading the game it stutters a lot, then once opened it is ok, but

a) I find clarity less good than oculus rift S, it is a little a foggy picture.

b) Sweet spot is smaller than Rift S

c) Have not found how to reset view (Have made sitting setup only)

Comparing it with the Rift S I could not say that Reverb G2 is better.... any idea ?

Edited by mibo
error

43 minutes ago, mibo said:

Not found out yet best way to start DCS for G2

Several people including myself have been talking about that in the "Windows mixed reality - discussion only" sticky thread a while ago. You might find more information there.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 3 weeks later...
Il 14/12/2020 at 17:49, MEDIC - v312 ha scritto:

Hi everyone,

I'm having issues starting DCS with the Reverb G2. I used to have the Oculus Rift S and never had any issues. Now with the G2 I can't even get DCS started properly.

At first, when starting from steamvr, the program would start, but in the headset I would never leave the steamvr environment. Then eventually I did get it to load DCS in the headset by just starting the program itself, not starting it from steam, but thenI'd still get a steamvr overlay that says 'waiting' which doesn't disappear, even after DCS started into the main menu. Last time I tried I did manage to get myself flying in the headset, but the picture was still in 2D and lagging really really hard. Lagging so hard I would see different percentages of the loading screen simultaneously. The screen is constanly flickering and the image is moving around every time I move my head. It's lagging behind my head movement and also lagging in pictures, literally lagging 2secs or something. At some point I did notice that somehow the GPU was completely maxed out on both GPU core and GPU memory. Even after closing DCS memory usage was still at 59% whilst I had nothing else open but the VR stuff. I took the following steps:

-installed steam

-installed steamvr

-installed WMR for steamvr (enabled beta mode)

-added DCS standalone as an 'external' app into steam and added it to the VR list

-starting from steam, then steamvr, then just starting DCS itself. The latter gaves the best result in terms of actually loading into the game and into a flight, but the lag was horrendous and it remained a 2D image.

video drivers and windows are all updated.

Anyone please able to help?

My specs:

-intell i7 9700K

-RTX2080 Ti

-32 gb 3200 RAM

-asrock z390 phantom gaming 9 mobo

Did you find the solution? becouse I'm experiencing the same exact problem and I'm going crazy.

1 hour ago, Ginseng said:

Did you find the solution? becouse I'm experiencing the same exact problem and I'm going crazy.

I start it (DCS Steam edition, NOT standalone, stable NOT beta) from within SteamVR or WMR. Starting from the Desktops doesn't work for me. What bothers me more is the instability of DCS in VR due to memleaks.

Edited by Buzzer1977

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, MSI MEG x570 Unify, G.Skill 128GB DDR4-3200, MSI RTX3090 Ventus 3x 24GB, Samsung PCIe 4.0 M.2 1TB 980 Pro, Seagate PCIe 4.0 M.2 2TB FireCuda 520, Quest 3

My process is as follows:

1.  Turn the power on to my G2.

2.  WMR automatically comes up.

3.  Put on my G2.

4.  Move my mouse to gain control of it and then left click.

5.  Now I can see my desktop.

6.  Select my DCS icon to run DCS.

Finally FOUND THE SOLUTION (at least for me)

1. Completely close Steam and SteamVR.

2. Navigate to each path and delete the following files:

a. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings\default.vrsettings

b. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings

c. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\lighthouse\lighthousedb.json

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEFORE NEXT STEP MAKE SURE TO BACKUP  YOUR "INPUT" FOLDER OR YOU WILL LOSE YOUR KEYBINDINGS SETUP!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) delete DCS files

C:\Users<user name>\Saved Games\DCS

Done this I started DCS but the menu was stuck (inside the VR moving the head the menu moves with the view)

, so ensure you have Steam VR STABLE VERSION, NOT BETA (mine was in beta) then add your DCS standalone to your steam library (dunno if it changes something but i did).

Launch DCS.

It works.

Hope it works even for you becouse it was driving me mad.

HUGE THX TO MY FRIEND PIANGE THAT FOUND THIS SOLUTION, ALL CREDITS TO HIM. 

Edited by Ginseng
important info missing

• 4 months later...

my solution was actually quite simple: coming from an Oculus Rift S I had my pixel density setting set to 1.9, which was fine when pairing it with my 2080Ti. Doing that for the G2 just broke it. The GPU just couldn't handle the pixel density, which caused these issues. Now running a 3080Ti with a bit less of a pixel density and it is fine now

I am coming too fron Rift s and can say that reverb g2 is a huge improvement in visual as great as a pain in tue ass,  my solution to start DCS in wmr is simple, add in the steam app launch the following

add app and in the destiny folder , in my case : "N:\simuladores\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe"

use the DCS.exe not the DCS_updater.exe

then in the line launch parameters put this like that --force_steam_VR with the two -- also

and click in the include in steam VR

(see the image atached)

Then open WMR, open Steam VR in WMR  and choose th DCS beta or wathever you named it.

I run Steam at default 100x100 graphics (3180x3180) or something like that, and in video options for dcs open beta I put The slider on 50%, in dcs open Beta I put Pixel density in between 1.2 - 1.4 , shadows planar, water medium and terrain textures low (instead of hig), obviously msaa in defaut (nothing than 2x or 4x) and in SSAA x2. ssao = off, object shadows off and lighting cockpit off

With this settings I run smooth DCS In my reverb G2 with an i9-10850k and a RTX 2080 Super

I expect this will help you.

Waiting to can afford a RTX 3080 or above, cause the reverb needs so much GPU power than rift s ( it renders at twice the resolution), I see all the numbers and all the stuff clearly in all the cockpits.

Captura de pantalla 2021-06-26 225306.jpg

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick