VR Optimization help - about to throw in the towel with my G2...

Hi folks, 

So although I think the Reverb G2 is brilliant in terms of what it offers and especially the clarity and crispness of the display, in reality it seems making it run silky smooth is next to impossible for me even on extremely low graphics and resolution settings. So before I completely throw in the towel, I would really appreciate any input from you savvy VR people! 

Here are my specs: 

Ryzen 3950X (OC to 4.3GHZ single core)

RTX 2080 Super

RAM 64GB 3200MHz

EVO 970 SSD

I used the following sources for set up:

vr4dcs guide: https://vr4dcs.com/2019/09/10/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

and,

and..

DCS: VR Optimization (2.5.6.50): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyrAIhXFpv0

What I've found is that the only way I can get it to run smoothly is over the desert or pointing into the sky on low graphics settings and by using PD 0.8 in DCS and 100% in Steam VR - this is already an unpleasant downgrade in resolution from the native res the G2 offers. I would probably be ok with this if I could get it to run smoothly in all manner of situations. But as I've found out, no combination of settings seems to get rid of serious fps issues overflying buildings and objects at low level such as flying over Vegas. I tried everything to having terrain shadows off, draw distance on medium (which is really too low for my liking but if it worked well in VR, screw it, it's playable) and basically everything else turned off or next to nothing. Tried both Terrain and World Textures on Low with no terrain shadows (looks pretty terrible) and no result. Anyway, I can not figure out how to make it run smoothly without stutters at low level overflying towns and cities. 

I am at a point of where I either sell it on or keep it in the hope that when the new 3080 high VRAM card comes out it will miraculously solve my issues... but given as how I seriously underestimated just how poor my decent rig would run VR, I am now debating whether a 3080 Super/Ti or whatever it will be called is going to solve anything. 

Any help greatly appreciated! Thank you!

First thing you're probably going to be asked by those wanting to help is what is the Resolution showing for SS in SteamVR. (ie 2160x2160 and not the %, because the % is inaccurate and misleading)?

I've seeen reports that around 50% for the G2 is showing native resolution for many, and if yours is similar and you are running 100% you could be running up over 4000x4000 resolution in SteamVR - which would definitely cause issues.

I'd suggest PD of 1.0 and Steam SS of native resolution (2160x2160 or whatever it is ignoring %) and see if that makes a difference first.

(I'm no expert and I'm sure other more informed users will chime in, but until then - just a suggestion).

• Like 1

Read the threads in:
Input and Output -> Virtual Reality (especially Bignewy's Reverb G2 settings for high frame rate).
and
Input and Output -> Virtual Reality -> VR Issues

Check if you have a problem with vsync (like me).

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

8 hours ago, CommandT said:

Hi folks, ...

I am at a point of where I either sell it on or keep it in the hope that when the new 3080 high VRAM card comes out it will miraculously solve my issues... but given as how I seriously underestimated just how poor my decent rig would run VR, I am now debating whether a 3080 Super/Ti or whatever it will be called is going to solve anything. 

Any help greatly appreciated! Thank you!

That would be a waste.

The headset is fine, but the supporting software is mediocre, not the first time in the history of P.Cs, there are solutions, people always find ways around bugs and other things that makes Steam so bad for the G2, it is a matter of time before you can see what people have done to make it work for them.

I have applied Dangerzone solution from the start because I got the information from Steam users in diverse forums and it works, i'm sure there are other tweaks around to optimize it but unless Steam developers actually move their lazy bums and do something about it, it's always gonna be an issue for everyone.

My advise, don't sell it, instead spend a little time googling the related topics, you'll find advises and tip to help you, one thing you can try is to download SteamVR Performance Test and see if you don't have other PC/OS related issues that makes matter worse, then check for Steam VR updates, eventually contact their support team...

Don't give up just yet.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

6 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

First thing you're probably going to be asked by those wanting to help is what is the Resolution showing for SS in SteamVR. (ie 2160x2160 and not the %, because the % is inaccurate and misleading)?

I've seeen reports that around 50% for the G2 is showing native resolution for many, and if yours is similar and you are running 100% you could be running up over 4000x4000 resolution in SteamVR - which would definitely cause issues.

I'd suggest PD of 1.0 and Steam SS of native resolution (2160x2160 or whatever it is ignoring %) and see if that makes a difference first.

(I'm no expert and I'm sure other more informed users will chime in, but until then - just a suggestion).

Yeah, I tried all manner of possibilities with PD set to 1.0, 0.9 and 0.8 with steam VR showing close to native res (slightly higher like in most guides/ around 54%). I always get the stuttering/ poor fps overflying populated areas. There's a significant decrease in resolution going from PD 1.0 to 0.8 but it's the only way I can get it to run smoothly flying in the middle of nowhere at least. With PD 0.8 and around 54% in steamVR it's really not a particularly sharp image. And even still I have issues overflying towns. I can have PD 0.8 and steam vr at 100% (to upscale) and that also runs fine in the middle of nowhere but not over towns, even with a low draw distance and no shadows! 

3 hours ago, Brainless said:

Read the threads in:
Input and Output -> Virtual Reality (especially Bignewy's Reverb G2 settings for high frame rate).
and
Input and Output -> Virtual Reality -> VR Issues

Check if you have a problem with vsync (like me).

Yeah I've followed Bignewy's settings... no success. 

Why would there be a problem with VSync? VSync is always off for VR isn't it? I mean every guide has that option switched off in the DCS settings. 

3 hours ago, Thinder said:

That would be a waste.

The headset is fine, but the supporting software is mediocre, not the first time in the history of P.Cs, there are solutions, people always find ways around bugs and other things that makes Steam so bad for the G2, it is a matter of time before you can see what people have done to make it work for them.

I have applied Dangerzone solution from the start because I got the information from Steam users in diverse forums and it works, i'm sure there are other tweaks around to optimize it but unless Steam developers actually move their lazy bums and do something about it, it's always gonna be an issue for everyone.

My advise, don't sell it, instead spend a little time googling the related topics, you'll find advises and tip to help you, one thing you can try is to download SteamVR Performance Test and see if you don't have other PC/OS related issues that makes matter worse, then check for Steam VR updates, eventually contact their support team...

Don't give up just yet.

Thanks, tried to have a look through Dangerzone's feed there but can't see anything. Do you have a link to his guide by any chance? 

43 minutes ago, CommandT said:

Thanks, tried to have a look through Dangerzone's feed there but can't see anything. Do you have a link to his guide by any chance? 

I had some but I had to do a reset because the last Windows updates messed my set up (and the O.S itself) so I lost all my links, and it took me quiet a while to find some useful ones, in any case, it looks like reinstalling both Windows Mixed reality and Steam/Steam VR can work too for some reasons.

I'll see what I can do, meanwhile I'll email HP to let them know we're many users having issues with Steam VR, I'll let you know if I find any useful info.

You could start with this one.

https://www.vrheads.com/how-fix-steamvr-startup-issues

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

1 hour ago, CommandT said:

Why would there be a problem with VSync? VSync is always off for VR isn't it? I mean every guide has that option switched off in the DCS settings. 

Unfortunately, currently there is a problem with VSync settings in VR and in 2D. See the related thread in VR issues section. 

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

I have gone from a Rift S to a G2 and haven't upgraded my PC or gpu to accommodate the G2's needs. I can say that at this point, after carefully picking and choosing the tweaks I have found on these forums/YouTube, that I am at this point I am running with the same DCS and nVidia settings I used with the Rift S, but have the fps close to being locked at 45 fps (as opposed to the 40 fps of the Rift S) I have see 45 fps (though sometimes dipping down to 30-45) on the Super Carrier deck, whereas the Rift S had trouble trying to hit 40 on SC. So with equal or better framerates, I am enjoying the higher resolution while still keeping MSAAx2 to reduce shimmering textures. If I go to MSAAx4, the image quality is amazing, but the frame rates are pretty much locked at 30 fps.

Besides looking a lot better with the higher resolution, the G2 is showing far less ghosting than the Rift S, almost none at all. G2 audio beats the pants off Rift S audio, no additional headset needed to have good sound and a good mic.

But, the smoothness of the G2 image seems inferior when I move my head and WMR/Steam VR bring their own issues including stability into the equation. The Oculus software was way more stable and aside from the horrible ghosting of targets in fast moving close-in dogfight, the image looked more fluid / less choppy despite the slightly lower 40 fps frame rate.

I am hoping that when I get around to upgrading my pc and gpu, possibly to a 5800X or 5900x/6800 XT, that G2 will really shine across the board instead of primarily in the area of screen resolution/clarity. I just got a Quest 2 for my son and I am waiting for a link cable to arrive to see how it runs DCS compared to the Rift S and G2. But what I really want is to be able to run the G2 locked to 90 fps in worst case scenarios even in multiplayer with maxed out display settings. But the combination of hardware limitations in VR (even with the fastest cpus and gpus you can buy) and DCS software limitations  leave me just hoping I can lock the fps to 45 with decent display quality settings.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've managed to bag a G2 from someone that changed their mind on going VR. I'm upgrading from a CV1 so I'm expecting a big upgrade.

I may struggle with my 1080Ti though

Hoping I can get it dialled in fairly quick.. Need to choose a red or green GPU next

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Go2Matt said:

I've managed to bag a G2 from someone that changed their mind on going VR. I'm upgrading from a CV1 so I'm expecting a big upgrade.

I may struggle with my 1080Ti though

Hoping I can get it dialled in fairly quick.. Need to choose a red or green GPU next

If you have a Ti 11GB it is possible to get a set up to run DCS rather smoothly, I use MSI after burner with those settings:

EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB

I haven't run a test in DCS yet but I used 3D Mark and the card is stable. Note that in some tests, PCU is more important and it will improve with a Ryzen 5 5600X.

MSAA x 2 at 3840 x 2160.

Graphics score

7 372

Graphics test 1

41.26 FPS

Graphics test 2

26.21 FPS

Physics score

19 572

Physics test

62.14 FPS

Combined score

3 964

Combined test

18.44 FPS

During testing, pick temperature never exceeded 76°C but I have a good cooling set up because I upgraded my case with this in mind, our systems are always thermaly limited, so it is important to make sure we limit temperature as much as possible.

SteamVR Performance Test shows that my system is on the green, completely VR ready, I guess frame rates will depend on DCS settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go2Matt said:

Thanks Mate, I'll give it a try Youve pushed your mem a little more than mine

GPU boost +70
Mem +200
power 120

Looks like I can go more

Run benchmarks at every increse by small increments. From a givent point I use only 5% improvments between benchmarks, our GPU might not have the same limits, depending on cooling and manufacture etc...

This setting is as far as my card would go without touching to core voltage, which I'm not going to try, I need to be able to resell this card in two month from now when I get an RX 6800 XT.

Not that I am not happy with this card, it's been the best I ever had, but like my RAM it was always a stop gap, I got it second hand (in reality new) from CEX with a two years guaranty and it's been doing a fine job since I installed it, but since I'm upgrading CPU and RAM I'll bound a new GPU to this PC and try to take advantage of an all AMD system.

In any case, it will do the job if you're not planning to upgrade, it is not stricly necessary, it works just fine in VR, the only thing is I never tried it in multi-players mode or with a very demanding map/scenario.

Enjoy your gaming.

Edited by Thinder

• 5 weeks later...

I’m so frustrated with this G2 and VR. I see videos after videos with the same specs as I and it looks amazing. All I see is white lines and no sound with the G2 in the hornet. And it looks weird too... not like the videos everyone is posting. And how to use the mouse on my deck top while changing things around is very aggravating. No wonder the frame rates are bad is possibly because so much stuff is running in the background just to use this device.... man this is some confusing stuff I got into. Shits way over my head !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

The G2 is a top of the line headset, so you'll want a top of the line PC to make proper use of its capabilities. It's that simple really. Sure you can make it work when your PC is a few years old, but you'll always be compromising in a way that could lead to a worse experience than the one you'd have with a slightly-less impressive (aka older) headset.

I went from a silky smooth experience with an i7 6700k and a 1080Ti (replaced by a 2070 Super after it died) and a CV1 to the specs you see in my signature. The difference is jaw-dropping, and even a top of the line system now can't make the most of a G2: for giggles I maxed out DCS settings and further increased SS in Steam which delivers an incredible clarity (basically monitor-level) but you'll be looking at a slide show. Imagine what the G2 will be able to achieve coupled with a graphics card 2 generations down the line!

In short, I'm running only Medium visibility distance (which is enough for helicopter operations) but I maxed out pretty much everything else (no MSAA but SteamSS at 200% with DCS PD at 0.5 - or alternatively SteamSS 100% with DCS PD at 1.0) and I have a silky smooth experience with frametimes in the 10-12ms region and no stuttering whatsoever.

For a while I ran the G2 on my old PC and I had serious issues trying to get a good experience as well, up to the point I realised in a way the CV1 was better for my system. But once you throw some horsepower at the G2, you'll be amazed at the experience it will give you 🙂

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 1/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Burt said:

I’m so frustrated with this G2 and VR. I see videos after videos with the same specs as I and it looks amazing. All I see is white lines and no sound with the G2 in the hornet. And it looks weird too... not like the videos everyone is posting. And how to use the mouse on my deck top while changing things around is very aggravating. No wonder the frame rates are bad is possibly because so much stuff is running in the background just to use this device.... man this is some confusing stuff I got into. Shits way over my head !

it is quite amazing in the G2. Hang in there it does have a bit of a learning curve getting everything working well together, but once it does - oh baby.

• Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 1/17/2021 at 11:13 AM, Burt said:

Burt,

Also I suggest you post about the issue you are having in the VR Sub-forum.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/302-virtual-reality/

This is where most VR users tend to hang out.

Lot of happy G2 users in there that would be happy to help in any way.

Don't throw in the towel just yet. 

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

15 hours ago, dburne said:

Burt,

Also I suggest you post about the issue you are having in the VR Sub-forum.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/302-virtual-reality/

This is where most VR users tend to hang out.

Lot of happy G2 users in there that would be happy to help in any way.

Don't throw in the towel just yet. 

Thank you !!! headed there now.

15 hours ago, dburne said:

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020