Mjolnir Campaign Mission 3: AI wingmen randomly exploding

Machalot

Tonight I have played mission 3 of the Mjolnir campaign multiple times.  When I start to engage the ships, I would notice that one or more of my wingmen were randomly gone.  I assumed they got shot down somewhere.  But when I check the debrief, it just says they crashed and died.  There were no enemy fire event recorded.  The fifth time I flew the mission, I kept a close eye on them as we approached waypoint 2.  I saw all three of them explode in midair, one by one, as we were about to cross the river. 

So is this actually due to enemy activity that I'm somehow missing?  Or is this a bug?

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

Hi Machalot. I've just made a run on Mjolnir campaign mission 3. The AI Viggen did not crash and were able to attack ships once we passed WP3.

Track attached.

(only I crashed while watching them)

Mjolnir3_no_issue_with_AI_AJS37.trk

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I wish I had saved the track when they all exploded. 

Are there any enemy SAMs or AAA near waypoint 2?

The other weird thing that happens is AI wingman 3 launches his RB04s well outside their maximum range, and they just fall into the sea. I wonder if there is some kind of internal position bug causing both issues, and the AI aircraft are falsely colliding with a nearby hill even though they appear to be clear of the terrain. 

"Subsonic is below Mach 1, supersonic is up to Mach 5. Above Mach 5 is hypersonic. And reentry from space, well, that's like Mach a lot."

To be frank, I've seen AI Viggen crash on the ground a number of times when I first played the campaign. But it was back in 2018.

Today, I've tested mission 3 with previous open beta. Which DCS version are you on?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Latest OB.  These guys aren't crashing on the ground, they are exploding in mid-air, at a few hundred meters altitude over flat terrain. 

I often has my AI viggen crash in the campain and from what I can see they are hitting trees when flying over ridges.

Win10Prox64, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, Intel i7-9900K@5,1GHz, 32Gb DDR4 GSkill TridentZ@3900GHz, Gigabyte RTX 2080ti Xtreme 11Gb, Game on Samsung M2 960 Pro, TM WH HOTAS, TM TPR , HP Reverb Pro G1, TM MFD

4 hours ago, illern said:

I often has my AI viggen crash in the campain and from what I can see they are hitting trees when flying over ridges.

I fly low but my AI wingmen fly up at a few hundred meters for some reason.  And when I watched them explode there were nowhere near a ridge or obstacles.  So I don't know what it was.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am very sorry for my late reply but I don't get any indication when someone replies even though I am following this. What do you mean by track files? The video recording you can save when ending the mission?

I have managed to solve that issue with my F-16 by adding the "React to threat" option to the group and set it to "Evade". I also played with RoE option but I believe it was the react to threat one that changed the behavior. Now when I return to one of my earlier missions that has worked perfectly before, but not after some update between few months ago and now I am seeing the same issue with one of my AI F-15's, also always the wingman on exactly the same spot and none of the mentioned options changes that so I'm stuck again, this happens north of Novorissiysk.

48 minutes ago, TheEscapist___ said:

What do you mean by track files? The video recording you can save when ending the mission?

In the debrief there is an option to save the track. It's not a video, it's an attempt to record a replayable sequence of input commands that can be used to resimulate the mission in DCS's engine. It's not completely reliable though. 

https://web.tresorit.com/l/w2wSM#FelTFsWkUgNgUalYUIo9hw

Here is a link to a track where my F-15 explodes. I have played it at x16 speed where I could but it's still too big for a direct upload, although I don't think the speed at which I recorded it would have an influence on the file size. I have played the replay and the same thing happens.

After watching this I started to wonder, maybe it's going off course for some unknown reason, and when it rejoins formation it encounters some weird unexpected state and DCS doesn't know what to do so it kills it? The F-16 problem I had showed similar symptoms, the wingman gets separated too far due to constantly flying with after burner and increasing the turn radius making a wiiiiiiiiide circle, then explodes when getting close to the lead before rejoin happens.

• 2 months later...