VKB. Ultimate.

AeroGator

Whoa am I seeing this right?

A full metal MCG Grip??

If so, where is the order button?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Looks lovely.  I’m a big fan of the tactile feel of the metal on the TM F18, grip.  I’m assuming that this will have a similar feel.

My only gripe would be with the name, ie ultimate.

Where do VKB go post that if they ever want to enhance the grip.  “Ultimate +”, just isn’t right.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Ok, that's a nice teaser, and the grip looks really intriguing. So now lets talk about when it will be available and price. Also, will there be a version for all bases(Mk.I,Mk.II andMk.III) and extensions?

Edited by Outlaw24

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

The "all-metal aspect" is not a selling point for me. Real grips are overwhelmingly not all-metal. They do tend to have a metal core that gives them mass, but the outer shell that you touch is usually some sort of molded plastic/resin. Having a rubber pad on the side instead of a molded or engraved texture is not realistic either. My B-8 grips have a glossy, glass-like black finish with molded in diamond texturing on the sides to provide a non-slip grip, very similar to stock M1911A1 0.45 cal pistols.

But real grips are for gloved hands. I play with bare hands. The VKB F-14 grip has a diamond textured rubber pad and I love the feel. I easily prefer its plastic outer shell to the TM metal grips. Metal grips are cold to the touch, but the longer you fly the warmer they get. The plastic grips don't feel cold and don't warm up as much with use.

If I get this new grip, it will be for the comfort/feel of the rubber pad and just for the sake of completing my collection of VKB compatible grips. I don't know what the new leds do, but they wouldn't be too useful to me no matter what they do because I fly VR about 80% or more of the time. My money would be better spent on other things.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The positions/shapes look close to identical. The "interchangeable modules" sounds interesting, but I don't know how that compares with the MCG Pro's adapatability. Increasing the force on the triggers and brake lever sounds cool, too.

The original MCG Pro already does everything I could want. So, I don't really need this. But it sounds like it will be better in some ways and the weight of the all-metal grip does make the stick feel better even if I don't like actually touching the metal. My real B-8 grips feel almost as heavy as the TM metal grips, because only the outer shell and switches are plastic and the bottom of the one for my real F-4 stick has a heavy duty metal threaded connector. The material of the grip would matter less if I actually wore flight gloves. Then all that would matter is the shape and weight, in which case, the TM Hornet grip is my clear favorite. But without gloves, I love the F-14 grip's rubber pad/plastic shell for shape, size, texture, temperature and overall comfort. But despite my preference for both the Hornet and F-14 grips, the MCG Pro's overwhelming superior control options/capabilities ensure it is the one I use the most.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome! Now all we need is an ultimate throttle (wink wink).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

From Reddit:

2) Made from regular silumin?

- No. MCG is a pretty hefty grip, and if we used silumin it would weigh more than 1.5 kg. It is made from special aluminum alloy that is nearly as tough as 6061. We are not disclosing its composition. It is lightweight yet durable.

Edited by Sokol1_br

The metal body isn't a huge selling point for me, other than the fact UIV said (interpreted by crappy Google Translate) that the surface has a rough texture sprayed on the metal base, so while not "grippy" in the sense of grippy rubber, it won't be slick.  The real selling point for me is the modular hats.  I'd love to be able to change the top center mini-stick to a digital hat that clicks (I know you can set it to function as an 8-way, but it still feels like a stick.).   Would also be nice to be able to change some of the 5-way switches to 3-way or single press buttons, but I haven't seen that hinted at.

If I didn't have an MCG Pro, I'd definitely wait and get the Ultimate.  As it is, I'll wait and see what the price is.  If it's closer to $300 (~2x MCG Pro), I'll probably pass.  $250 (~1.5x)...maybe.  $200...sign me up!

Edited by Blatherman

Sorry pilots, all information you want will follow in the announcement 🙂

I only disclosed as much as the company decided I could. Buttons, surface, etc., - we will tell you everything and more.

Talking metal vs plastic - yes it's been our position, too - but people have that thing for metal, so metal it is. Like I said, the material of the hull is just the visible/tangible part. More is inside, and those invisible changes are tectonic.

@streakeagle - of course it does look nearly identical. It is a copy grip. Whatever changes should not, and will not, affect its similarity to the original!

@dburne - the button is coming Don! 

• Like 1

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

2 hours ago, AeroGator said:

Sorry pilots, all information you want will follow in the announcement 🙂

I only disclosed as much as the company decided I could. Buttons, surface, etc., - we will tell you everything and more.

Talking metal vs plastic - yes it's been our position, too - but people have that thing for metal, so metal it is. Like I said, the material of the hull is just the visible/tangible part. More is inside, and those invisible changes are tectonic.

@streakeagle - of course it does look nearly identical. It is a copy grip. Whatever changes should not, and will not, affect its similarity to the original!

@dburne - the button is coming Don! 

👍

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Will this new grip be available to order on the 23rd on the VKB North America site?

Don B

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 7:33 PM, Sergey_Pe said:

No, because it was an initial small batch for Gunfighter base owners. Full-scale production will start right after the Chinese Year.

A shame that VKB chose to work through China. Probably would have been better to use Taiwan. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up.

If I am reading this right seems the Ultimate Grip "may" be available to order tomorrow.

http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4890&p=45967#p45947

I can tell you from my many hours with it using it daily I absolute love this grip. Nothing like wrapping the hand around a cold metal grip.

I replaced the two POV hats with 4 button plus push hats and went with all black button caps. One can never have too many buttons. Especially for DCS modules.

P8E7Jhi.jpg

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Don B

I agree the Ultimate Grip is arguably the best one out there, I'm really enjoying this investment. VKB North America had this info on their web site about new stock on the 11th of March, take a look here.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?page_id=176

Edited by Outlaw24

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

Ultimate Metal Grips are now available to order in the VKB store.

With or without twist axis.

I can tell you this is one very sweet grip. Loving mine!

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=mcg-ultimate-stand-alone

Can also be ordered as a package with the Gunfighter base.

https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=gunfighter-mk-iii-modern-combat-edition-ultimate

Edited by dburne

Don B

3 minutes ago, Monkwolf said:

Thank you for the heads up. Just ordered one.

👍

You are in for a treat!

Don B