Quick questions regarding DCS series.

Guest Syncho

Guest Syncho

First of all I'd like to say hi to everyone. I have looked through alot of post on the Ed Forums and I can't find answers to some questions I'm looking for.

We was wondering if anyone could answer some questions for me regarding the future release of the DCS series of Aircraft.

1. Will we have to purchase all modules of DCS to be able to fly online on any server?.

2. I belong to a Falcon 4.0 squad. Will the DCS Viper be as realistic or more than Falcon 4.0 in terms of avionics, FM, WFM & G-LOC?.

3. Will DCS make every individual aircraft/weapon to the real life spec or will DCS be a 'balanced' sim?.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

I belong to a Falcon 4.0 squad . . . .

Somehow, you can tell . . . ;)

The DCS Viper module will be several years into the future and AFAIK dev work hasn't started yet. That makes it pretty much a dead end as far as questions go.

As a general rule, Black Shark should give you some kind of indication as to the level of modelling detail ED are aiming for with DCS.

The FM is superb, and the weapon FMs for the Ka50-specific weapons are as well.

All the information available to the makers of Falcon 4 should be available to ED.

The aim of DCS is to model an aircraft to the absolute limit of what is possible. No balancing here.

Answering the question "will it be more realistic than Falcon 4" will remain impossible until an F-16 pilot flies both the DCS F-16 module and your chosen flavour of F4. But based on my experience with Black Shark so far, I'd be pretty optimistic about it :)

It won't be exactly the same as Falcon 4, for obvious reasons.

And I have little voice in the back of my head telling me that for some in the Falcon 4 community, that may automatically translate as "less realistic".

While i dont want to encourage posting already answered questions, ill try to help you out here.

1. No, definitely not. Updates for the game engine will be available free to all users, regardless to what module they possess to ensure compatibility of all modules.

2. You wont get any dev to post anything specific about the upcoming modules, as they are still or not even in development. However, taking the level of detail on the black shark into consideration, any aircraft modeled to the same level of detail will be at least as realistic as falcon 4 (imho exceeding f4 by far).

3. AFAIK focus is on realism and not on balancing. Any weapon system/airframe will be modeled to match rl data as close as possible.

hehe bgp beat me

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Syncho,

Perhaps you should give the DCS FAQ another run through. I think some of your questions may in fact be answered in it.

Let me add a couple of short notes to what was already mentioned by Brit and sobek.

All of the aircraft listed in the May 16 Dev. Update are in fact already in development at one or another level. This means some of them may be in the early stages while others well advanced. As you can see, the F-16C is included in that list. However, given that the A-10 and the Apache are currently next in line, anything else is indeed a significant and unreliable projection into the future. We are not discussing any details about future modules, because we don't want to unintentionally misinform users. In general terms however, the focus in DCS is on modeling each aircraft with an unprecedented level of detail, including dynamic flight and mechanical systems modeling, fully interactive 6DOF cockpit and maximally accurate avionics.

The FM is superb, and the weapon FMs for the Ka50-specific weapons are as well.
Just a small correction - all ballistic weapons in Black Shark (bullets, cannon rounds, artillery shells, bombs) used by all units are already wAFMed. :) Hopefully, this process will continue and include the entire catalog of weapons, including guided missiles.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

Guest Syncho

Guys sorry maybe I could of read a bit more into the Q & A but thanks for your replies!. Alot of people in the Falcon community have high hopes for DCS. Truth being told F4 is old and dated and just the thought of the possibility of a new Falcon, Eagle & Hawg sim is just mind blowing!. Keep up the good work and do a good job! I think the majority of the F4 & LO community will intergrate as one!. Take as long as needed but please do justice for are favourite fighters!.

I would like DCS:Viper was one of the firsts DCS modules as well. I'm not a big F-16 fan really (I'd prefer a Hornet or a Mig-29SMT), but it's the more interesting (for mission variety - SEAD, tactical AG, CAS, CAP...) and advanced aircraft in the ED list. AG radar, LANTRIN pods... It will be awesome!!

Regards!!

Depends on the Block(s) they make. Earliers versions were quite limited in their capabilities, the F-16 became a multi-role fighter only after several upgrades, e.g. provisions for using the Harm/Shrike, Maverick, Harpoon/Penguin, Sparrow/Amraam, JDAM/JSOW, Litening/Lantirn/Sniper/HTS pods etc. were subsequently added bit by bit to different Blocks.

I remember some time ago Olgerd talking here about Block 50/52 aircraft - I aren't completely sure however.

Regards!!

I think I understand the order on that list. ED guys first of all learn how to prepare "simplier" avionics wich could be a base for next modules when avionics will become more complicated. Also supersonic jets FM is not so easy to calculate because of sound barrier and physics above that speed + really advanced avionics means that our rigs may not be enough to calculate so many operations at once. We need real supercomputers IMHO. That is why I think we must wait for the juicy part.

Guest Syncho

My favourite Fighter is the Eagle I'm a huge fan of the 493rd 'Grim Reapers'. But the Viper (block 52) can hold it's own in A2A plus you got the bonus of A2G. It's like having a hybrid of the Eagle & Hawg.

One plane which I like in the USAF is F-16. For shape, abilities and sentiment of prevorious games which I played.

• Like 1

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Things with no radar but existing (FC/BS) optical devices,

Then things with A2A radar + optical devices,

Then things with multi role (A2A & A2G) radar + optical devices

That would sort of make sense wouldn't it ?

(radars evolving much as they were developed in real life)

• Like 1

Cheers.

Trying to foresee the order of releases is pure speculation at this point even for ED, let alone us. We are unaware of a number of driving factors which may ultimately determine this order. Remember, one of the fundamental ideas in DCS is to streamline the development of military contracts and entertainment-line products and this effort may trump other considerations, such as module balance or systems modeling (e.g. the lack of an A2G radar model). Considering we have little information on the former, we are ill-equipped to draw conclusions on the latter. Even ED can only plan tentatively, because new contracts and projects may appear and alter the development course significantly.

The information provided in the May 16 update is exactly what it was described as - a list of aircraft that are already at various levels of development in the studio and can be safely said to be planned for future inclusion as modules. These plans are subject to change. Other aircraft may be added, some may be removed or put on hold and there is currently no planned order of releases beyond the immediately upcoming. It does, however, give you an indication of the direction ED is taking and a tentative glimpse of the future. Mainly, it tells you that ED hopes to model a variety of aircraft, including attack helicopters, fighter, attack, and multirole jets of both NATO and Russian origin.

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules

Is ED working on some military simulator at this moment or all employee forces are concetrated on DCS:BS only?
All we can say definitively is that we know from the battlesim website that ED was awarded a follow-up contract to do a "Phase-II" of the A-10C simulator for the USAF. I don't know whether that work is now complete or not. In general, ED's other lines of business and projects outside of DCS are not really open to discussion here. Suffice it to say that normal company operation usually includes working in a number of directions in both the flight simulation arena and other lines of software.

So you don't panic, I can tell you that DCS is definitely a priority for ED. :)

• Like 1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forum Rules