Manual questions & possible errors

NineLine

Page 220, Figure 127 HOTAS TDC Control Zones -- does not indicate the fact you can control the scan azimuth setting with TDC.

Page 219/220 Weapon Select Switch -- still says "no function for this Early Access version" for AIM-7 and AIM-120.

Page 220 Undesignated Button -- it's Undesignate, not Undesignated.

Page 130, ICLS Checklist Box, bullet point 5:

Fly to keep the vertical localizer and horizontal glideslope bars centered in the

HUD. If the localizer is off-center, fly in the direction of the bar to center it. If the glideslope bar is above the velocity vector, you are too high. If it is below the velocity vector, you are too low.

The bold text is wrong, it should be the other way around. Moreover it is inconsistent with what is written below Fig. 64:

In the above example image, the pilot is left of the localizer (lineup) and below glideslope.

which is correct. At least it represents the ingame behavior

• 1 month later...

Page 24:

Typo:

Elapsed Time (ET) Button. Press once on the ET button to start an elapsed time timer that will count

in seconds. A second presses pauses the timer. A third presses resumes. By holding down the button, the timer will reset to zero.

Correction:

Elapsed Time (ET) Button. Press once on the ET button to start an elapsed time timer that will count

in seconds. A second press pauses the timer. A third press resumes. By holding down the button, the timer will reset to zero.

• 2 weeks later...

Missing Reference.

Page 37

IR Cool Switch

Manually provides coolant to AIM-9 seekers. See AIM-9 procedures section of this guide.

but no info/sys logic/procedure will be available in the AIM-9 section of the guide.

• 1 month later...

Page 234, TGT under Cursor Data

If friendly:

• Unit bearing and distance to player aircraft

It is bearing and distance FROM player's aircraft, not to it. "To player aircraft" would be from TGT's perspective I think... but I'm not native in english tough...

Page 235

If hostile:

• Unit ground speed / bearing. Bearing is the course looking at something, but the course THAT object itself is traveling to is it's own heading, not bearing. That hostile Su-27 on the pic is flying HEADING 173. Bearing to him from me is 352.

• Unit bearing and distance to player aircraft . Again, bearing FROM the player aircraft, not to.

And same goes to following, "If unknown"

Edited by Razor18
added another one

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't know whether the manual is not updated according to the aircraft or the setting in-game is currently off?

p.58

"Weapon Select Switch:

AIM-9: 4 bar 90° 10 nm

AIM-120(B): 4 bar 140° 80 nm (160 nm ©)"

In game I get:

AIM-9: 4 bar 80° 40 nm

AIM-120(B): 2 bar 140° 40 nm

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asus ROG STRIX Z390-F Gaming, Intel Core i7 9700k , 32gb Corsair DDR4-3200

Asus RTX 2070 super, Samsung 970 EVO Plus M2, Win10 64bit, Acer XZ321QU (WQHD)

TM HOTAS Warthog, SAITEK Rudder Pedals, TIR 5

• 1 month later...

Page 233

To simply matters and avoid sensitive areas, all network options will be configured automatically.

Simplify

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

• 4 weeks later...

P-129. Autopilot.

from the DCS manual:

"Autopilot modes listed on the UFC are selected by pressing the Option Select Button next to the Option Select Window of the autopilot mode. When selected, a colon is displayed next to the autopilot name on the Option Select Window. Once selected, pressing the ON/OFF button on the UFC enables the mode. An A/P advisory is displayed on the left DDI when an autopilot mode is engaged."

The mistake is marked. Activating the autopilot does not require pressing ON/OFF at any point unless you want to activate a mode called heading hold.

Quoting NATOPS here:

"2.9.2.1 Autopilot.

The basic autopilot (heading hold) is engaged by selecting the A/P pushbutton (at

which time pilot relief options appear on the UFC) then selecting the ON/OFF pushbutton.

Engagement is indicated by the A/P advisory on the DDI. Selecting the ON/OFF pushbutton is not

required if ATTH, HSEL, BALT, RALT, or CPL (MC OFP 13C AND UP) option on the UFC is

desired.

At this time the aircraft maintains the existing pitch attitude. If roll attitude is less than or equal to

±5° at engagement, the magnetic heading is maintained. If roll attitude at time of engagement is

greater than ±5°, the roll attitude is maintained. The pitch attitude hold reference can be changed with

pitch CSS to any value between ±45° pitch. The pitch attitude reference can also be changed with the

trim switch on the control stick at a rate of 0.5°/second. The roll attitude hold reference (if roll is

greater than ±5°) can be changed with roll CSS to any value between 5° and 70° of roll. The roll

attitude reference can also be changed using the trim switch on the stick at a rate of 2°/ second. The

magnetic heading reference (if roll is less than or equal to ±5°) can be changed, or initially set with roll

CSS. The roll trim switch also can change the reference magnetic heading."

• 3 weeks later...
P-129. Autopilot.

Quoting NATOPS here:

"2.9.2.1 Autopilot.

The pitch attitude hold reference can be changed with pitch CSS to any value between ±45° pitch. The pitch attitude reference can also be changed with the trim switch on the control stick at a rate of 0.5°/second.

The roll attitude hold reference (if roll is greater than ±5°) can be changed with roll CSS to any value between 5° and 70° of roll. The roll attitude reference can also be changed using the trim switch on the stick at a rate of 2°/ second."

I didn't know about. That's cool. I tested it in DCS and it doesn't seem to be implemented yet. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pressing the Sensor Control Switch to the right when the TDC is already assigned to it will place the RADAR in Auto Acquisition (AACQ) mode. If the TDC if (change to, "is")over a target symbol when AACQ is commanded, it will instruct the RADAR to lock on to that target. If AACQ is pressed with no target symbol under the acquisition symbol, then the RADAR will attempt to lock on to the closest target within the selected RADAR scan volume.

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

• 2 weeks later...
Page 72 EADI

The boxes do not show rudder deflection, these are a turn indicator. When the lower box ist underneath the left or right box it indicates a standard 3° per second left or right turn, like in many other ADIs.

You are completely right, just for more information in the same sentence, standard turns are also called standard 2-minute turns, for obvious reason (3° x 120 seconds = 360° in 2 minutes) and additional info. :thumbup:

• 7 months later...

About the AZ EL page I see the following errors in the manual. I'd like to see what ED says about it so I can learn the things right.

CIT range: Shows the maximum range for manual (not automatic) CIT interrogations

Wags said in his video that this is for AUTO interrogations, not manual ones.

Auto interrogation: When boxed, automatically performs a single pointed CIT interrogation whenever a new L&S is designated, when the L&S is stepped, or when a HACQ/LACQ is attempted

Wags said in his video that this makes the use of AUTO interrogations in a defined cone.

Thanks.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

• Wags changed the title to Manual questions & possible errors

FA-18C Early Release Guide, Dec 17 version:

Page 65, Audio Tones

Master Caution Tone. Whenever the master caution is triggered, the master caution tone will sound. It has a "deele dee" sound.

Did you guys mean "deedle dee" sound?

• Like 1

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker