CPU upgrade. 5600x or i9-9900k

Waltan

In honesty from a vr perspective, neither, as most games do not make use of hyper threading, and both of these cpu’s you are paying for hyper threading... for the purpose of gaming you are likely better off with an i5 or i7 from the intel side. 

gamersnexus has a good series of reviews on the latest amd gpu s and gaming, and while the latest version of AMD is technically ahead in single thread performance I honestly doubt you will see a substantial difference in VR between the latest AMD and Intel offering.

you notice the extra mb cost, for amd also you may need to upgrade your ram, and you may also have an increased cost if you move to an i10.

before you do upgrade I would seriously look at what your idle times look like, turning of things like RGB control software... which I found was eating my own perf... ymmv

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, Waltan said:

I just got a 3080 and now my bottleneck is my 8600k CPU. Which of these CPU's will give me the best VR performance in DCS.? They are roughly the same price now but obviously a new MB is required for the 5600x. Cheers

Before you upgrade, you might very well get away with overclocking that i5 of yours. DCS doesn't really care about the generation of processors that much as long as you can have a high MHZ frequency. At what speeds is that 8600k running? 

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

In honesty from a vr perspective, neither, as most games do not make use of hyper threading, and both of these cpu’s you are paying for hyper threading... for the purpose of gaming you are likely better off with an i5 or i7 from the intel side. 

gamersnexus has a good series of reviews on the latest amd gpu s and gaming, and while the latest version of AMD is technically ahead in single thread performance I honestly doubt you will see a substantial difference in VR between the latest AMD and Intel offering.

you notice the extra mb cost, for amd also you may need to upgrade your ram, and you may also have an increased cost if you move to an i10.

before you do upgrade I would seriously look at what your idle times look like, turning of things like RGB control software... which I found was eating my own perf... ymmv

Just a quick correction, an i9-9900k MIGHT also require a new motherboard. He is coming from an 8600k which runs on a generation older chipset which might or might not support the 9900k. So if you are upgrading, I would definitely recommend the AMD 5600X over the i9-9900k depending on availability and price. (For pure gaming, it is the faster CPU, even though it has less cores) 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Thanks for the replies. I had worried that the 9900 might need a new MB also. It seems the 5600 has the best single core speeds but reviews vary. I have the 8600k OC'd to 4.7 and its doing  pretty decent job but I'm always looking to improve the experience. I do have 32gb of 3200 ram so I dont think thats an issue. Might just wait and see. 

The i9 runs the same socket LGA1151, tbh would rather go for the AMD one. For most games the i5 (intel) or 5 (amd) series seems to be the best bang for buck with only a slight increase in the i7 and 7 series for some games. Afaik not that many games benefit from more threads which is what you get with the i9/9 series (and i7/7)

Wait another 2-3 months to see what Intel has to offer. I doubt you will feel any difference if you upgrade to 5600X or 9900K.

Ryzen 5900X (Water), 64GB DDR4@3600CL16, RTX 3090 (Water), U4021QW, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, 2x1000GB RAID 1, 2000GB,

Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswind, Reverb G2 V2

Turn up the render resolution or add some MSAA or other eye candy until you're GPU bound again. Problem solved!

Single thread performance gains have been pitiful in the last decade or so, but personally I finally retired my haswell CPU and got a 5600x to replace it.

@Waltan If you are already at 4.7 Ghz on you 8600, then a 9700k or 9900k would not get you much, maybe 5-6% if you get one that pins at 5ghz.

Basically, everything from the 6000 to 10000 series are the same architecture, and only differentiated by clock speed and core count. 

From other testing, it looks like a Zen 3 CPU at about 4.8-5.0 Ghz is equivalent to a Sky Lake chip at 5.3Ghz, so likely about 12% faster than what you've got now. It's expected that the Rocket lake chips, due to launch in the spring, are going to be about 10% faster than that, but will be limited to 8 cores, and be end of life for the 1200 socket.

The Alder Lake and Zen 4 chips should be coming out in 2022 and are expected to be game changing, but I'm not sure they will have significantly higher single core performance. 

Basically, are you near any key breakpoints that you're trying to pass, and do you play any games other than DCS? 

The new Ryzen 5000 are the best you can buy for gaming. I personally have noticed a greater improvement changing my i9 9900kf for the 5900x than changing my 2080ti for a 3090. ESPECIALLY IN MP, on public servers, where I always lost half of my performance in VR. Not now!!!. Best quality / price / performance Ryzen 5600x.

Just look on youtube for any comparison of games between them.

Example: 

Edited by Werewolf_fs

22 hours ago, The Highlander said:

DCS will be moving to Vulkan soon ish 1 to 2 years maybe sooner

bare that in mind

I don't think you understand what Vulkan is. It's a graphics API, just like DirectX. The difference is that Vulkan is OpenGL based, and DirectX is a Microsoft product. Moving to Vulcan is definitely an upgrade from DirectX11 but it doesn't automatically mean that DCS World will magically transform into a multithreaded optimized miracle piece of software. That requires a much more substantial work on the core engine of the game, not just the graphical rendering pipeline.