Multi crew experience, what's your story's.

Woody01

Finally today we got the multi crew experience many of us have been waiting for for a long long time. My first experience tonight was a heck of a lot of fun! We (The Flying Kiwis) filled a couple of Huey's to the brim and headed out, the inter aircraft banter was gold, the reactions within the aircraft to events made it really feel like we really were one crew in our own aircraft, dyeing together was tragically awesome. In all it has opened up so much scope for our missions and enjoyment of DCS.

Sunday nights mission we are going to ferry in a JTAC, he will do his job on the ground, then we will pick him up and take him home, how cool is that!

One really cool thing to do (in VR) is if your in the copilot seat stand up and walk down the back of the choppa, freakishly realistic experience, my pilot started to maneuver and I had to yell at him that I wasn't holding on to anything! It really was cool to plonk myself down on the seat next to the door gunner and poke my head out. 😁

Thanks for finally solving this riddle ED, it was not a wasted effort!

So what cool experiences have you guys had?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

looks like you had a lot of fun. glad to hear that. sadly i couldn't make update because it hadn't arrived till the mid night. this evening i will invite my mates to my huey for sure!

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yea, I was on the Rotorheads server last night with full Huey crews, manning the guns, operating radio, taking control when the pilot needed to check maps and calling targets. Sure, there's a few bugs - the SRS was a bit hit-and-miss and the flare launcer dumping all the flares at once but it was amazing.

Multiplayer is awesome! One thing I found myself lacking though, was just being able to open my mouth and talk to the guy sitting next to me. No SRS, no Discord, no external plugin, no push-to-talk is what I want. DCS has voice communication, I know as much, but it doesn't seem to work? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I shouldn't have to configure anything. It should be active by default if you're in the same space as someone else.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sharkku said:

Multiplayer is awesome! One thing I found myself lacking though, was just being able to open my mouth and talk to the guy sitting next to me. No SRS, no Discord, no external plugin, no push-to-talk is what I want. DCS has voice communication, I know as much, but it doesn't seem to work? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I shouldn't have to configure anything. It should be active by default if you're in the same space as someone else.

You have to configure it on "options/Audio", and set it to open mic, not PTT. Obviously, all menbers of the plane haveto do so. Then , when on the plane, LCtrl+LShift+TAB to open the Voice Chat window and create a channel for your aircraft and you should be done! Cab t tell if it works right now with the UH1 or if it s buged, but this should be the trick to get it.

Cheers. 

Saca111

i have to join you guys...

doorgunner is simply a no brainer fun thing to do in DCS. especially if i will have friends over for vr flying, and friends dont have much dcs experience.

just jump in and shoot.. no need for start up procedures!

of course, im all for cooperative team play..!

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

8 hours ago, flanker0ne said:

Probably Ciribob it's at work on SRS intercom for UH-1H.
Udate is coming

It already works in intercom on the UH1 in MP.

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

So my first impressions after my first flight today in Multicrew and in VR of course.

what can I say, after all these years of waiting but WOW, working together as a crew is truly a different experience, seeing your mate flick switches or have them monitoring the airspeed and altimeter while you’re landing in a confined space, while also at the same time having a mate in the back, counting you down and confirming the tail is clear or needs to come right or left is just a dream come true.

Plus it’s the smaller things, like once you set up the pilot in command to all crew, so all they have to do is click a button to fly and the pilot doesn’t get a menu popping up. Really is immersive.  

Flying along copilot asks you if he can fly, state you have command, he answers I have command and bang he’s flying, no menus, no pop ups just a smooth transition really makes it feel like you’re in the same aircraft.

Likewise my daughter came to say goodnight while I was flying, or another time my frame rate plummeted because Oculus did a update halfway through the flight, I just called you have command, and my copilot took over.   👍👍👍👍

Now it wasn’t all smooth sailing, BUT I’m hoping the Multicrew is important enough to Ed for them to be following any threads like this, that they will pick up on these issues and hopefully fix them.

To be fair there was only a FEW glaring issues that I found or didn’t like with the Multicrew and it may be a VR issue alone in Multicrew, and that is the way the head movement isn’t independent of the door gunners weapons.

Which means the gun seems to be fixed to your nose and you can only control it by moving your head.    

It was horrible and induced VR sickness in both myself and my mate, to the degree where he had to stop flying for a bit.    

The head position was better when we swapped out the M60 for the mini gun, but just having a way to select mouse control for the gun only would solve that issue.  

Likewise looking left and right to aim the gun lead to your head in VR pass through the seating on the right or come outside the aircraft all together, as it moves around on the axis of the rear grip of the gun rather than the realistic position of the crew member.  

While you do have to be able to lean outside the aircraft while in the back, to be able to watch the skids or tail in confined landing situations or the sling load, it should really be completely independent of the weapon.

NOW if Ed fixed that, Multicrew would be downright perfect, it’s almost there, it is amazing, and adds so so much to helo ops, but just needs a little tweaking still.

Edited by Cowboy10uk
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

today was the first time i tried the doorgunner role with the new patch.

its going the right direction.

at the end of the day i hope that its properly supported in VR.

and its nice to hear more DCS huey multi crew fans agree with having proper mutlicrew support, especially for the doorgunner.

VR it self increases immersion.. but VR experience is even better with friends, particularly in a crewed aircraft!

along with being able to map up/down left/right axis to joysticks, and decouple the player view from the doorgun, would also be nice to see add on's to the doorguns...

maybe we have a laser sight for buddy helo lasing? 

sound effects could be improved?

add trailing smoke? 

electric power switch thats on the M134?

i am always stoked watching venom doorgunner videos..and hoping DCS will bring us closer to the experience..

Edited by hannibal

find me on steam! username: Hannibal_A101A

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969447179

On 12/18/2020 at 3:02 PM, Sacarino111 said:

You have to configure it on "options/Audio", and set it to open mic, not PTT. Obviously, all menbers of the plane haveto do so. Then , when on the plane, LCtrl+LShift+TAB to open the Voice Chat window and create a channel for your aircraft and you should be done! Cab t tell if it works right now with the UH1 or if it s buged, but this should be the trick to get it.

Cheers. 

Saca111

Cheers, thanks for the instructions! 

However, my opinion is just that, you shouldn't need those instructions. You shouldn't need to create channels or anything. Because there is always some people who don't do it. It should be on by default, talking locally to those in the same aircraft with you.

2 hours ago, Sharkku said:

Cheers, thanks for the instructions! 

However, my opinion is just that, you shouldn't need those instructions. You shouldn't need to create channels or anything. Because there is always some people who don't do it. It should be on by default, talking locally to those in the same aircraft with you.

AKAIK, ED is planning on adding more functionalitys to the Voice Chat, and maybe what you said is in their "to do" list.Right now. it is off by default (I think), and if you turn it on and do not create any channel, you would be talking to all coalition members that have it on, so quite disturbing, so being off is logical decision.

Saludos.

Saca111

Some of the best experiences I've had in DCS has been multicrew based.  The Gazelle was immense fun with multicrew (until it became unplayable), and the Tomcat is excellent.  It brings DCS to a whole new level of teamwork.

Tried the Huey yesterday with a buddy and we loved it.  Very well implemented and was great to be able to share control, as well as go through checklists together.  The door gunner experience, as others have identified, was a bit 'meh' but I'm sure it'll improve.

Fingers crossed we'll get multicrew in the Mi-8 at some point.  I've had that module for years but never used it because I can't be bothered jumping between 3 seats.

And I guess this bodes well for the Hind and Apache.  And perhaps the Kiowa and Gazelle.

Thanks for this ED/Belsimtek.  Your efforts are truly appreciated.

Glad to see mostly everyone is really enjoying multi crew! I am really enjoying the increased scope of the missions now possible. Last night we flew in a dedicated JTAC to the AO, dropped him off, dropped him some vehicles and spent the rest of the night supporting him. Picking up downed choppa crews they can now jump in and ride home with you, how cool is that! 😁 

i want to thank dcs dev team and community for the multi-crew so much you guys are the best ! 

i took a long break from dcs for nearly 1 or 2 years, as soon as i heard huey got multi-crew implemented i came back again me and my friends are having really fun time 

flying with a friend is a whole different experience  navigations communications and cargo transport became so much easier and fun ! flying at the bottom of the valley hugging the trees at 20ft 110kt avoiding air defense units is  so intense 

This all sounds awesome so far! Havnt tried it yet myself, but look forward to it! Thanks ED

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Yep this is an absolute gas! Check out our Choppa Tuesday account... So much fun tonight 😁

Multicrew Huey SAR! - YouTube

Sorry not sure how to imbed the youtube video in this new forum format (or to be honest the old way)

Edited by Woody01

On 12/19/2020 at 11:29 PM, Cowboy10uk said:

Plus it’s the smaller things, like once you set up the pilot in command to all crew, so all they have to do is click a button to fly and the pilot doesn’t get a menu popping up.

Could you explain this bit please? We can't seem to figure it out.

2 hours ago, ceh said:

It's the Aircraft Control Priority in the unit's settings in mission editor.  See pic.

image.png

As I understand it, if you don't want prompts when switching pilot then set it to Equally Responsible.

I think the settings are:

• Pilot - right seat in charge and can take control from left seat without approval.  Left seat must ask.
  • Copilot - left seat in charge, and can take control from right seat without approval.  Right seat must ask
  • Ask Always - both seats can fly and must ask each other for approval.
  • Equally Responsible - no priority, no approval for pilot change.

We tested it yesterday with and they really implemented it quite well (only had one issue when trying to tune the ILS frequency...it always turned back). It's cool when you can instruct the other person how to start the aircraft BUT I also had to notice that all your automatic routine which you do from the pilot seat won't work from the co-pilot seat because. I was really surprised how different it feels when you're on the other seat.

Using the flexi gun is a lot better when you don't have to bother flying the aircraft.

Flying on the left seat, if you're taking controls, is very uncommon in the Huey though and I absolutely prefer the pilot seat. Taking control or giving controls back works really good though, especially if you put the "request aircraft controls" on voice attack.

In a way, it would be nice if the other person could see your mouse cursor if you want to show a switch or gauge. In RL, you could also point on something with your hand. That would have made starting up the aircraft a bit easier than trying to explain "the switch on the middle console left to that yellow fuel switch".

Overal, time passed very quick and it never was boring, even if you were "only" co-pilot. If I can chose, I'll go for the pilot though, but I'd absolutely like to have a human co-pilot.

With that said, I'm eager to get it once in the Mi-8 and hopefully in the Mi-24. It would also be cool if it would somehow possible to fly the campaigns/SP missions with multicrew even though I'm aware that might be difficult to achieve - how should the other person join since you don't launch a server for the campaign. But who knows, maybe ED will find a way to allow co-op campaigns. That would be amazing.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 8:58 PM, ceh said:

Go into mission editor, on the Huey you want to use, click far right button on bottom that gives you the extras like exhaust suppressor, there you will see a tab for. Pilot in command, just select anyone rather than right or left seat.  

that will allow you to just hand over control whenever you want.

you both need to obviously program in a take over control button, mines Side mouse button, and then as soon as anyone presses that button they are flying the aircraft.

the asking and confirming who has control is just RP and good practice so people don’t get confused

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Where is the "Take Over Control" key bind located? I found the "Request Aircraft Control". Search didnt find it?

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle