DCS: AH-64D Discussion Thread

falcon_120

19 hours ago, zhukov032186 said:

@StrongHarm

I give your post 6/10. A bit dry and too long, but your sarcasm shows promise. Please continue refining your efforts, good day.

So what you're saying is..  INSG?  The irony!

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

On 12/19/2020 at 5:50 AM, xoxen said:

Got goosebumps when I saw the gun. I'm no rotohead so far. I guess this will change. Gunship on C-64 was my first "sim". Great announcement and Hollywood style introduced.

This. When I saw the 30mm chain gun I went...'oh wait, it can't be...please....' and then BOOM. Floored. Now we can pair the Kiowa with the Apache.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

I can't find it but I swear there was a point where ED said the new "mind-melting" module would be FW rather than RW
It'll please the Rotorheads...but doesn't particularly scream "mainstream" like a single seat FW jet would...
I'd been hoping for a Mig 29A or similar
Fairplay to the RW players...the rest of us have the A7/F8Mirage F1 to look forward to so no complaints

They only said that it would have been a mind-melting aircraft.
Helicopters are part of the bigger category called aircraft
  • Like 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

• ED Team
3 hours ago, VirusAM said:

They only said that it would have been a mind-melting aircraft.
Helicopters are part of the bigger category called aircraft

Can you kindly point to where an Eagle Dynamics staff members said "mind melting"?

Kind regards,

Wags

Can you kindly point to where an Eagle Dynamics staff members said "mind melting"?

Kind regards,
Wags

Good evening Mister Wags...
I was just answering to the user jasonbirder using his own words....
I am sorry, but I was not quoting the exact words used by someone of the staff...just referring to a general concept of a module that would have been eagerly wanted and awaited by the community.
I don’t remember the exact words used (in a newsletter maybe it was milestone) but the Apache is surely mind-melting to a vast majority of the DCS community, RW fans above all (I feel the need to properly learn helos now)
Anyway wording apart I was just pointing out that no one from ED staff ever said that the “secret module” would have been a fixed wing aircraft, It was always referred to as a generic aircraft (notation which includes helicopters, which are aircrafts as well).

So I don’t think I said anything negative, or I do hope so
  • Like 2

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

10 hours ago, StrongHarm said:

So what you're saying is..  INSG?  The irony!

First time I came across INSG. Tried to look it up, no satisfactory answer. Meaning?

If it clarifies, I was making a joke about your joke. Nothing negative intended.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

On 12/19/2020 at 12:19 AM, jasonbirder said:

I can't find it but I swear there was a point where ED said the new "mind-melting" module would be FW rather than RW

It'll please the Rotorheads...but doesn't particularly scream "mainstream" like a single seat FW jet would...

I'd been hoping for a Mig 29A or similar

Fairplay to the RW players...the rest of us have the A7/F8Mirage F1 to look forward to so no complaints

I think an AH-64 is more mainstream than a MIG-29 or many other Fighter Aircrafts, it's really iconic. I bet when the modul is available for sell, Matt and Nick will rotate with the same RPM like a AH-64 Main rotor when they will look on the order count

• Like 1

I didn’t think I could have all this hype for an helicopter...but here I am....
At the moment I am a complete noob with rotaries...
What module I could use to easily learn the basics and don’t end up frustrated?
Ka50?mi-8 or uh-1?

19 minutes ago, VirusAM said:

Ka50?mi-8 or uh-1?

MI-8 IMO.  It has a lot more stability and power than the UH-1 as well as seems to be far more robust as far as damage taken.  It does lack MC at this point.

14 hours ago, zhukov032186 said:

First time I came across INSG. Tried to look it up, no satisfactory answer. Meaning?

If it clarifies, I was making a joke about your joke. Nothing negative intended.

INSG = "It's not so great".. which was outlined in my post that you said was INSG..  therein lies the irony! hah...

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Just now, StrongHarm said:

INSG = "It's not so great".. which was outlined in my post that you said was INSG..  therein lies the irony! hah...

And you apparently missed the irony of using Louie CK as your prime example for getting your point across while accusing other of "self-flagellation".  😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VirusAM said:

Ka50?mi-8 or uh-1?

This question is not answered easily. I would decide against the Ka50 and the Gazelle, both because of the way they fly. The Ka50 with its dual-rotor is not "normal" in a sense, so it does not really teach you anything on how helicopters work, how all your three control inputs have to work in unison, even if you only want to change a single flight parameter. Also the autopilots of the Ka50 are very confusing for beginners and often times it feels like you are fighting them.

The Gazelle has a debatable flight model. I will not go into details, but it is an odd mix of stability and agility. Don't get me wrong, I fly this thing all the time, because it is super agile and I am having a blast, but I would not consider this a good "helicopter learning" module. Esp because of its agility it is nothing like the Ah64 will be.

That leaves Mi8 and Uh1. The Mi8 is a lovely made module and feels authentic, esp the flight model. However it is harder to fly than the Uh1. It is less forgiving, you will find yourself in a VRS elevator rushing for earth's core more often than not and its cockpit layout is, well, very Russian. A bit difficult to identify a concept among all those switches. That being said to me the Mi8 like no other helo creates a feeling of having a soul and a personality. And that in part comes from its age and cockpit design and flight model.

The Uh1 is what I would recomend to you. It is a bare bones helo without any electronic aides so you will discover how a helo really flies. It will make you feel incompetent in the beginning when you do your baby steps but she will not make it unnecessarily hard for you, it's  not easy to get her into VRS or break with a hard landing. It's plains  chopper with minimal functionality, when you want to fire weapons it is done in a simple manner, unlike with the Mi8 which has a gazillion switches in different places to set what kind of weapon on what pod you want to fire. In the Uh1 you can focus in flying and that is a challenge for an extended period.

Luckily it's "free-to-play" time, so you can have a look at any of the helos if you find the time over Christmas and make your own opinions on what to buy eventually. And maybe you like the Mi8 better than the Uh1 or even wait for the Hind to basically fly a more combat oriented brother of the Mi8. Maybe you would like to get a more modern take on an American helo and prepare for those scout/killer OPs and get the Kiowa when it's out so see first hand how your future battle field buddy operates.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Thump said:

And you apparently missed the irony of using Louie CK as your prime example for getting your point across while accusing other of "self-flagellation".  😄

LOL!  Point, sir.  I did miss that.

15 hours ago, VirusAM said:

Ka50?mi-8 or uh-1?

Go for the UH-1. yeah it's hard to fly, but if you become even half way decent then everything else is a breeze to fly.  The trick to learning it without becoming frustrated is to fly maybe 10 to 15 minutes each day doing drills. Really simple stuff like taxiing to and from the runway over and over. After a week or two of that you get a feel for it.  Of course finish your training each day with a fun activity to keep frustration to a minimum 🙂

Edit: Also for helicopters, it's really worth investing in a set of accurate and smooth pedals. The difference between flying a helo in DCS with a quality set vs. the mass market stuff (saitek, ch products, logitech) is like night and day, and is the difference between enjoying the flight and becoming frustrated with fighting the controls.

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Been quietly waiting (& hoping) for this one for many years.  Consider my brain melted that the time has finally come 😉, it gives me the "warm fuzzies" just daydreaming about that fact it will be reality in it's own good time.  Looking forward to this module...The ultimate Gunship! Thanks ED, happy Christmas and prosperous New Year!

Edited by BTTW-DratsaB
  • Like 2

Specs: GA-Z87X-UD3H, i7-4770k, 16GB, RTX2060, SB AE-5, 750watt Corsair PSU, X52, Track IR4, Win10x64.

Sim Settings: Textures: ? | Scenes: ? |Water: ? | Visibility Range: ? | Heat Blur: ? | Shadows: ? | Res: 1680x1050 | Aspect: 16:10 | Monitors: 1 Screen | MSAA: ? | Tree Visibility: ? | Vsync: On | Mirrors: ? | Civ Traffic: High | Res Of Cockpit Disp: 512 | Clutter: ? | Fullscreen: On

2 hours ago, ProfessorFATE said:

From previous module releases, from announcement to release, what sort of time frame are we looking at?  

The Viper was announced in 2019 and beyond at the end of 2018, and was released in October of 2019, so about 10 months later.

However, it was released in a very incomplete state and I believe ED has stated they don’t want to do that again, so it could be longer, or perhaps they are at a further stage of development already.

TL;DR: maybe late 2021, maybe longer 🤷‍♂️

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2