DCS: AH-64D Discussion Thread

falcon_120

3 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

After release.... I do wonder if a WAH-64 would be possible..... at cost of course! 

I wonder what the differences are between them, CVR7?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 minute ago, toilet2000 said:

According to the book Apache by Ed Macy, mostly the more powerful Rolls-Royce engine and the ECM suite.

Ahh yeah, the engines are probably doable (with very little investment I'm guessing), but the EW suite is almost certainly a no go, though it's not like DCS has a massive grasp on EW anyway.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

3 hours ago, Rogue Trooper said:

DCS won't let us down. 

I hope the Pits not too clean and I wonder what the weird Pilot Night Vision System will be like with only one eye.

I bet it will be weird in VR!

Cockpit lights on for the left eye so all instruments can be perfectly focused on and read, right eye immersed in night vision coming from the PNVS some 2 meters in front of you..... spooky wierd. 

It had better look like super cooled heavy weight night vision optics!!!

Well some will need to get ready to do the panties and periscope jeep driving trick (Firebirds, the Top Gun of attack helicopters)

Edited by KungFu

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

More powerful engines and lighter too.

Transmission is the same mind.

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I buy the module depending on how well I can use it as a single player. Since this is not an easy task, I am very curious to see how ED will implement it. I press my thumbs that ED will manage it properly !!

• Like 5

DCS World needs the Panavia Tornado! Really!

On one hand, it's great news that we're getting the Apache. It's been the one wish that some of us have been waiting for during all these meager years. On the other hand, the bad news is that it's DCS. They're gonna charge people in advance, then, like the F-16, will be sent to the fridge for months, years on end until some other plane is out of EA. On top of that, I don't see how DCS, as it currently is, would be a good pair for this. The current and planned maps all have a very low resolution heightmap, acceptable for a fighter plane sim which needs huge open spaces,  but not for an attack helicopter' sim whose raison d´être is to hunt ground forces. And the ground forces...both AI or Combined Arms modules are basically rubbish. One gets a company of AI tanks moving and is down to 10fps. And the AI helos who can't fly below 90ft...

IMO for this to be any good, we will imperatively need purpose made maps for attack helicopters and ground forces, smaller in size to accomodate higher resolution height maps and real substantial fixes to everything ground forces.

Edited by stormridersp
  • Like 3

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

14 minutes ago, stormridersp said:

IMO for this to be any good, we will imperatively need purpose made maps for attack helicopters and ground forces, smaller in size to accomodate higher resolution height maps and real substantial fixes to everything ground forces.

I think if we could make the relatively low resolution maps work in Longbow 1/2, DCS will be fine. Syria in particular has been pretty nice for low altitude helicopter flight, especially on the western part of the map. It's up to scenario designers to make this work effectively and yes, there are limitations, but it's not impossible. The environment is far from perfect, but it's at least an environment and an AH-64 will be able to utilize it. There are a lot of things it will be able to do that are outside of the destruction it can cause alone, and working with a team will be at the front of its capabilities.

• Like 2

There's a lot of work to be done in DCS for helicopter operations in general. I'm sure ED is well aware of that: several announcements have already been made in that regard.

• Like 3
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Will be interesting to see how ED works out the pilot and co-pilot / gunner for single player mode as no doubt they will implement a co-op mode.

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

On 1/16/2021 at 9:10 PM, stormridersp said:

On the other hand, the bad news is that it's DCS. (...) On top of that, I don't see how DCS, as it currently is, would be a good pair for this. The current and planned maps all have a very low resolution heightmap, acceptable for a fighter plane sim which needs huge open spaces,  but not for an attack helicopter' sim (...)

That's why i think it just is the best information ED itself is the one making Apache.

This will give the biggest chance they are going to push some upgrades for overall helicopter environment. This will be one of their flagships with huge selling.

They made complex aircraft carrier because of the Hornet. They will improve some helicopter operations aspect due to Apache and Hind.

If it would be just a 3rd party Apache project, like i.e. Kiowa, chances would be much slimmer obviously.

• Like 3

Reading through the Army manual for this bird and it's clear: this is going to be the most complex aircraft EVER in DCS. My brain is definitely melting, as promised.

• Like 2

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

I will definitely be buying this module when it hits EA. I haven't flown an Apache sim since LHX Attack Chopper.

And please, don't rush it out early  - I'm still learning the DCS Hornet!

ThinkPad X1 Carbon G6 | i7-8550U 1.8-4 GHz | 16GB LPDDR3-2133 MHz RAM | 512GB PCIe SSD | Win10 x64

Aorus RTX 2070 Gaming Box | 8GB GDDR6-14000MHz | 3x Dell U2412M for 5760x1200

CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals

Does - by chance - anyone know if it is possible to mount the IHADSS on either side of the helmet (by swapping microphone and monocular) or only on the right sight?

Same for the Optical relay tube in the CP/G Cockpit. On every picture i saw always the left side is covered - is it possible to change it from right to left?

48 minutes ago, Gizmo03 said:

Does - by chance - anyone know if it is possible to mount the IHADSS on either side of the helmet (by swapping microphone and monocular) or only on the right sight?

Same for the Optical relay tube in the CP/G Cockpit. On every picture i saw always the left side is covered - is it possible to change it from right to left?

I believe that the army had an option for pilots to use a left side IHADSS but I am not 100%. Either way DCS will probably have an option for these things similar to the JHMCS render eye option in VR.

1 hour ago, Gizmo03 said:

It's right only.

Report explaining IHADSS and eye dominance.

Report is from 2004

Edited by Coota0

9 hours ago, kengou said:

Reading through the Army manual for this bird and it's clear: this is going to be the most complex aircraft EVER in DCS. My brain is definitely melting, as promised.

I can assure you its not that bad, in comparison to other aircraft we have available

Edited by vigilante87

8 hours ago, vigilante87 said:

I can assure you its not that bad, in comparison to other aircraft we have available

Agreed, i have too been reading the US Army manual, and alone the startup is super simple compared to others.. While you have to learn and get very comfortable using the MFD's and HOTAS since they are doing all the work... but it will be a challenge like with any other aircraft, but its part of the fun 🙂 learning and getting smarter 😄

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

11 hours ago, Chirpy. said:

I believe that the army had an option for pilots to use a left side IHADSS but I am not 100%. Either way DCS will probably have an option for these things similar to the JHMCS render eye option in VR.

10 hours ago, Coota0 said:

It's right only.

Report explaining IHADSS and eye dominance.

Report is from 2004

Thanks for the infos. I suspected already that it's on the right only because i never saw a picture with the monocular mounted on the left. 

Anyway i hope ED will make it available for left / right / both eyes like for the JHMCS.

11 hours ago, vigilante87 said:

I'm not so sure. It has more sensors than an A-10C including a really capable radar. The navigation and communications suite looks at least as complex if not more so. The HOTAS looks more complex, controlling screens, sight cueing, and sensors. not to mention the CPG station. The IHADSS has multiple modes full of symbology to get used to. And there's crew coordination to take into account. I don't think it's a stretch to call this the most complex bird to come to DCS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to learn it all.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

5 hours ago, Bedouin said:

Agreed, i have too been reading the US Army manual, and alone the startup is super simple compared to others.. While you have to learn and get very comfortable using the MFD's and HOTAS since they are doing all the work... but it will be a challenge like with any other aircraft, but its part of the fun 🙂 learning and getting smarter 😄

I've had to more then just read them, lol. It is certainly cool stuff to learn! It will definitely provide a unique experience in DCS!

2 hours ago, kengou said:

I'm not so sure. It has more sensors than an A-10C including a really capable radar. The navigation and communications suite looks at least as complex if not more so. The HOTAS looks more complex, controlling screens, sight cueing, and sensors. not to mention the CPG station. The IHADSS has multiple modes full of symbology to get used to. And there's crew coordination to take into account. I don't think it's a stretch to call this the most complex bird to come to DCS.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited to learn it all.

I'm with you there. However take the F-18 for example, typically speaking you are controlling two sensors (Radar, FLIR) on your average mission. In the apache that is the most you'd likely control from the CPG station. PLT doesn't control the TADS for target engagements. Controlling the screens you actually have a cursor you can move around if you need to remain hands on controls, and you are able to rapidly change which MFD you have your cursor on. There is a lot of IHADSS symbology that is on all the different modes, so once you get the general layout its not so bad (not including the TADS as a sight).

I get your point though; lots of stuff. I'm stoked to see it coming to DCS!