DCS: AH-64D Discussion Thread

falcon_120

I can't comment on anyone else's performance but my CPU frame times are significantly lower than GPU times, so I don't think it's down to my CPU. Again, this is in VR. I don't discount the probability of the Apache requiring a very hefty CPU in addition to the GPU requirements. Which is why I would like some official comments on this matter. I have noticed that the Hind (which is the last module I bought) has significant overhead, and most of it is GPU related. (Which everyone who monitors those kinds of issues can confirm) 

I did not buy the Mossie, but I have heard and read from others on this forum that it is also intensely GPU bound. It would really be appreciated if we could get some comments on how the Apache will perform in VR at Early Access. If that is not possible then at least maybe we could get some general comparisons to the other already released modules and maybe some performance targets. I don't think this is an unreasonable request. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 hours ago, MRTX said:

I really don't want to hate about the latest update on the M230. But the external gun sound is very hollow and metallic. Yes i know they stated its still WIP. (maybe a bit more bass, and a louder pop could do the trick)

Nitpicking here.

Agree. It also seems a tad accelerated, 650 iso 625 rounds a minute. The movement of the gun in in itself is slightly off.

The TADS footage is incredible. It's awesome the see the recoil in the movement of the FLIR.

10 hours ago, ThoWmas31 said:

I never complain about FPS  in DCS ( i have a RTX 3090 ) except since i buy the KA50 and you can see a huge impact with and without skhval on/off.   I think Helos need a  improvement somewhere  and  ALL the game  need something

I know my I7 59300k is a old processor but with NVMe + 32gb of RAM and a RTX 3090 i think i can manage more than  50 FPS in 2560X1080.

Theres something about digital screens that is broken, in certains conditions when you turn on some kind of FLIR/TGP/Skhval it kills the performance, it happen to for Tomcat radar

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

• ED Team
8 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

Did I hear the iconic blade whistle the ah makes? That’s some attention to detail. 

I haven't watched the video but there shouldn't be a whistle with this era of the 64D. That only became a common thing when they started using blade wedges for track/balance. In the 2005-2010 timeframe trim tabs were still in use. Wedges on 64D's only started becoming prevalent some years later, like 2013-ish IIRC.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

• ED Team
6 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

@Raptor9 was the fixed rockets a thing for this time period or was that after? You guys running ground stow instead of fixed? 

After. Firing in ground stow was a technique used by some pilots prior to the fixed option.

• Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

I'd like to thank Wags and the 64 team for these "sneak peeks" you guys are doing. The steady flow of information and progress is really building up the excitement, and it all looks so damn chad.

I find myself sharing them with friends that don't even fly sims at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

• ED Team
15 hours ago, kgillers3 said:

Yeah was talking to some of the senior guys and they were talking about it some couple weeks ago after a shoot, thought I'd ask. Thanks 

The main thing for people familiar with the AH-64D (or even E) to remember is that the avionics in the 2005-2010 era was quite different from D's and E's post-2012. Some of the info being posted in these threads is mis-leading because of unfamiliarity with the key differences in sequential avionics upgrades since.

The Fixed rockets option is one such example, it was brought up prior, but there are others. People just need to be careful because they may inadvertently talk about something they are not permitted to in an effort to understand or discuss an avionics feature that was different or didn't exist in 2005-2010 avionics.

The bottom line is the 2012-2018 64D Blk2's are very different capability-wise compared to 2005-2010 64D Blk2's. But this is comparable to the differences between avionics versions of other modules as well. I can see the proverbial development nightmare if ED didn't stick to a very specific era when trying to simulate an aircraft to a given standard of accuracy. That's an off-topic horse that has been beat to death in other forum threads already.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

DCS Rotor-Head

Raptor, thanks for explaining that. It does seem to me that the Apache has received an awful lot of upgrades through it's entire service life, from the early A's to today's Guardians... almost like it wasn't really a static item at all.  I remember reading about the Robbie tanks, in AW&ST in the late 90's I think... they didn't call them that, just that someone was making fuel tanks that would fit where cannon rounds were normally stored, to increase endurance/range. Seemed like a good idea to me.

At that time (late 90's) they had another article about intent to develop 70mm / 2.75in rockets to have a laser seeker head, which took SOOOOO long to develop that I'd forgotten anyone even tried! But of course that turned into APKWS and it's clones. I don't know why development took so long, but it did... I think they quickly found some major insurmountable problems/issues that needed tech or inovative ideas to solve, because talk about such a product just disappeared from industry mention for maybe 10 years?  I think maybe the seeker sensor itself might have been fragile or too big for such a package... or maybe cost/complexity was too high to justify? Maybe stuffing enough computer in such a small nose section was an issue. I dunno. But we clearly see the potential for such products today! 

20 hours ago, fargo007 said:

I'd like to thank Wags and the 64 team for these "sneak peeks" you guys are doing. The steady flow of information and progress is really building up the excitement, and it all looks so damn chad.

I find myself sharing them with friends that don't even fly sims at all.

I'd like to second this.  Along with the short vids, the latest update Wags gave really gives me a sense of where they are and what is left to do.  I think it's going to be pretty amazing if they get it out before the end of the year, as the aircraft seems incredibly complicated, along with the multiplayer aspects.  It'd be a pretty great Q4 present if they can make it.  

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, CaptJodan said:

the aircraft seems incredibly complicated

You would think so, yet Wags recently posted somewhere that it's only a fraction of the complexity of the Hornet or Viper. They certainly seem happy with where it is in development and confident that we'll see it in 2021.

Perhaps the biggest/longest/most complex part of its development might come later with the FCR implementation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

The Apache is a breeze when it comes to system ergonomics. Everything is super tidy, and right were you need it. And if you take a look at the cyclic and collective, and think about what you'll be frequently using it becomes very clear that its certainly not really more complex than other modern platforms in DCS. If that already wasn't good enough, lots of controls are doubled both on the HOCAC and MFDs.

Overall, just see it as a helo A10C. Once you get the hang of it, you'll have a blast!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I somehow got the impression the Longbow would be a real handful for systems management. Between all the hat switches, the MFD's, radar modes, all the other dozen or so sensor systems, I got the impression...

Dumb question: are Apaches, Longbows and Guardians equiped with autopilots?  I mean, I wouldn't think they would get much use most of the time, but for long boring ferry flights... or loitering for hours at one point, I could see it might be useful to reduce crew fatigue? 

I know that at one time, only a couple of helos had autopilots, I think the early ones were the Sea King and maybe the HH-53C "Super Jolly Green Giant", but I don't even know if that was when first introduced or a later retrofit? But today it seems you can get autopilots of brand new helos of nearly every size... maybe not a Robinson, but even the smaller Bells apparently offer them.

• ED Team
50 minutes ago, Rick50 said:

Dumb question: are Apaches, Longbows and Guardians equiped with autopilots?  I mean, I wouldn't think they would get much use most of the time, but for long boring ferry flights... or loitering for hours at one point, I could see it might be useful to reduce crew fatigue?

The AH-64D's and E's don't have autopilots per se.  They do have hold modes though.  Think of the hold modes on the A-10C.  Nothing will make it follow a route or follow an approach to a runway, but simple stuff like attitude hold, altitude hold, velocity hold, position hold (aka hover hold).  I don't know if A models had any hold modes.

Just as the flight computer's job is to assist the pilot in making the Apache a stable airborne platform for weapons delivery, the hold modes are an extension of that function.  For example, if the pilot in the backseat needs to deviate some of his attention to some other task such as tuning a radio or doing fuel calculations, the hold modes are a method to assist with flying.  Otherwise while he is tuning a radio, let's say he inadvertently rolled the aircraft 5 degrees.  Now the gunner in the front seat has to adjust his TADS sensor to compensate, making him work more to scan for targets or put weapons on target.  So it all goes back to managing cockpit workflow appropriately to ensure the maximum attention is paid to recon-ing for targets, engaging targets, and surviving the threats to accomplish the mission and come home.  Crew comfort or boredom isn't what the hold modes are for, but assisting with flying so the crew can perform all the other important combat functions in addition to flying, to include potentially while fatigued, to ensure weapons can be accurately placed on target.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DCS Rotor-Head

On 3/8/2021 at 12:16 PM, Mogster said:

Someone suggested that Hawley (Flexman) was involved with this project. I’ve no idea if it’s true or not. 

I had high hopes for his project back in the day so, if true, that would be awesome.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

Question here for some of you guys who do this for real....about Ripple Hellfire launches.....?

When in Ripple Norm, for example, I understand the system will code alternating laser codes from the Primary and Alternate channels. 1st Missile Primary, 2nd Missile Alternate etc Question is, are the Primary and Alternate channels always the same code, i.e you could have 8 missiles in the air with alternating codes, 4 with 1688, 4 with 1511 (for example)? Or do the Primary and Alternate channels get automatically stepped to the next code in sequence? Otherwise what's the point of a Ripple engagement if you've only got 2 codes / 2 designators to work with.

I would have thought you can have as many targets as designators (codes) i.e up to 16? (unlikely but in theory....)  How would this work if it merely stepped between static Pri and Alt channels? The docs aren't too clear. Also, why do we have 4 missile channels? Does this come into play here?

Hope that made sense, thanks.

Edited by AvroLanc