A little jealous-multicrew

I can at least think of one still outstanding issue.

In the UH-1H, 2 pilots sit side by side, interacting with the same cockpit (which works well). The door gunners only see a flat static image for the instrument panel (looks identical to external). In the Mi-8MTV2 it's 3 crew in the same cockpit.. and a lot more switches and systems. But Mi-8 gunners have no view of the cockpit at all... but a much larger cabin.

• 3 months later...
40 minutes ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I really don't think there would be any reason for the ED team to bother with trying to create a flight engineer's position for the multicrew cockpit of the Mi-8.

Hopefully we will have it one day, so you can judge for yourself the value. I personally look forward to this unique crew position in the Hip. I would be very disappointed if it was not enabled.

• Like 2

I understand the Russian mentality behind having a flight engineer on the Mi-8, and I even generally agree with it. However, I've flown on Mi-8's for almost 15 years and I've never once flown with a flight engineer, and we don't see any issues with not having one. We do, however, fly with two crew chiefs in the back, American-style.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AG-51_Razor said:

I really don't think there would be any reason for the ED team to bother with trying to create a flight engineer's position for the multicrew cockpit of the Mi-8. There wouldn't be that much, if anything, for the 3rd person to do.

In the light of common sense, I agree with you on the third seat in the cockpit. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

That's my big concern as well. I switch seats a lot in MP and if I lose that ability it will really kill my enthusiasm to fly it online.

They have to find a solution where solo pilots can swap seats in MP for this to work.

• Like 2

Edit: dang, having MC in the Hip would be damn awesome right now. Going to start and teach a wingman on the Hip soon. Would be a great help if we could just share the pit.

Yup, already saved the spot for my best half!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

As excited as we were  when the MC showed up for the Huey, we ended up really using it only for instructions where it offers an amazing experience for the IP as well as for the student. Now when it comes to combat missions, except for some students willing to take part in it as an observer or under the supervision of a certified Pilot in Command, we found very little opportunity to crew the Huey. Everyone just want to fly the machine and let superhuman side gunners deal automatically with threats rather than having a real guy who can barely see anything and mostly spread around targets unless they are at point blank range. We have even seen Huey pilots refusing to have humans gunners because of this.

So to come back to the Mi-8, sure MC will be greatly appreciated for the same reasons than the Huey, but probability to have someone willing to crew the Engineer seat is zero. And when it comes to man gunners, there will be the same resistance than with the Huey.

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 6:36 PM, randomTOTEN said:

so nobody else is gonna come defend the Flight Engineer? damn... he just got thrown under the bus

+1 for flight engineer. it'd be cool. ideally it wouldn't be too much additional effort. it's an extra slot with a different viewpoint. without any functionality tied to it it'd still be cool as a ride-along seat + potentially being a 'bench seat' to switch places with somebody in one of the other seats.

Edited by Munkwolf
  • Like 1

+1 for flight engineer. it'd be cool. ideally it wouldn't be too much additional effort. it's an extra slot with a different viewpoint. without any functionality tied to it it'd still be cool as a ride-along seat + potentially being a 'bench seat' to switch places with somebody in one of the other seats.
Will probably be little boring, but to have a human calling the "pendulum" when sling loading could be useful. Hehe

As excited as we were  when the MC showed up for the Huey, we ended up really using it only for instructions where it offers an amazing experience for the IP as well as for the student. Now when it comes to combat missions, except for some students willing to take part in it as an observer or under the supervision of a certified Pilot in Command, we found very little opportunity to crew the Huey. Everyone just want to fly the machine and let superhuman side gunners deal automatically with threats rather than having a real guy who can barely see anything and mostly spread around targets unless they are at point blank range. We have even seen Huey pilots refusing to have humans gunners because of this.
So to come back to the Mi-8, sure MC will be greatly appreciated for the same reasons than the Huey, but probability to have someone willing to crew the Engineer seat is zero. And when it comes to man gunners, there will be the same resistance than with the Huey.
Well, it would be a great dev opportunity for ED though. At least least give us two seats as the Hip. I think it could be really fun. Not all of us are in for "the banging". The Hind will bring that.
Cheers!

1 hour ago, BaD CrC said:

Everyone just want to fly the machine and let superhuman side gunners deal automatically with threats rather than having a real guy who can barely see anything and mostly spread around targets unless they are at point blank range. We have even seen Huey pilots refusing to have humans gunners because of this.

To me, that speaks towards the need of getting the AI updated rather than a reason to not port multi-crew to other vehicles. The AI should be designed to be at a level that humans in that position provide a benefit, to incentivize usage of multi-crew.

• Like 1